Share your Attacking/Offensive ideas

Apologies, Bula was an option to his right. He came on late. Don't know what happened there? It looked like Api called for it, Brooks was committed, then Bula called. Not sure if Bula did call? Brooks didnt look to his right.

Yeah, that is what I recall, with the player a fair way back on inside (assuming Bula), arriving late, probably too late and quiet for too long. Brooks would have had to twist his head a long way around to see him.

Having said that, with no known genuine passing options as it unfolded, I was hoping Brooks was going to take Mitchell on or kick for himself.

Other than Api and Bula, I can't see anyone else in the team that is dangerous with the ball in hand. Our halves are pedestrian getting the ball to outside backs or finding an edge backrower and then panick sets in on last tackle options.
Pole and Matamua have footwork and skills as ball playing locks, let them loose like Yeo and Murray as a link from Api.

• Get the halves playing wider with a 13 that can pass
  • More early ball to our centres and wingers
  • Get deeper
  • Kick early for Bula and co when fullback is in the line
  • Api to kick more when 5-10 metres out
Don't even need a 13 to link. If you have API and Bula around the ruck with forwards who offload the defence won't slide due to the threat. Then get API to spear a 10+m pass to the halves who should then be on the outside. They then play direct and draw and pass.

Not that difficult. For some teams anyway.

Everything can be fixed with new halves, our forwards are making ground, our defence is on song. We just don't have points in our halves. Brooks is useless and Wakeham is a reserve grader. If we could score points, we win on Saturday against the team leading the comp. If we had decent halves and a fully fit team we're easily in the top 8 I'd go so far as even pushing top 4. We just don't have halves with any points in them.

Towards the end of the game Api should do the short kicks.

Brooks has shown over a decade that he struggles to deliver when the game is on the line. When there's no pressure, or when the game is already lost he seems to loosen up and play good footy. We need someone to get their kicks right in crunch moments. Wakeham has been inconsistent.

Our attacking kicks need to be more precise. Too many grubbers go dead. Too many bombs don't give the defence time to pressure the opposition. The good teams make these mistakes less often than we do.

My suggestion.

Listen to the Matty Johns podcast with Cooper Cronk.

They are breaking down the attacking success of cleary over the roosters.

Does anyone in our club understand this ????

They're talking structures and Effort

Other than Api and Bula, I can't see anyone else in the team that is dangerous with the ball in hand. Our halves are pedestrian getting the ball to outside backs or finding an edge backrower and then panick sets in on last tackle options.
Pole and Matamua have footwork and skills as ball playing locks, let them loose like Yeo and Murray as a link from Api.
Tupou, Utoikemanu, Bateman, Papalii, Nofoaluma, Bula, Koroiusau, Krammer are obvious candidates, they could go through even 2 defenders ;)

Interesting chart and summary by Rugby League Eye Test - the expected points scored and conceded is based on things such as field position, plays in opposition 20, time in possession,field position opposition is restricted to etc. And yes i know its only stats but the interesting thing is that it does show the problem that we see on the field every week i.e. with the possession and field position we have we should be scoring a mountain of points. And in defence we are defending well in our 20 mtr zone but allowing tries to be scored more often than other teams from longer range tries.

expected_plot.png

Here’s where things start to diverge. Penrith, despite sitting 4-4, have been incredibly dominant as usual with their attacking field position, with an averaged expected score of 24.8 this season. What has changed is that defensively they’re allowing more than the average expected score of 19.5 this season, at 20.1.

Under this analysis the Wests Tigers should be one of the leading sides in the competition. At 23.3 expected points per game, they would place second in the NRL for attack and their 15.7 average expected points conceded is the best in the competition.

This shows that the issue for the Tigers isn’t field position, as they are able to get in positions to score and are the best in the league at keeping opponents out of scoring areas. Obviously this means they’re not scoring when they should and allowing points from positions that don’t usually yield a try, which is highly concerning.

Interesting chart and summary by Rugby League Eye Test - the expected points scored and conceded is based on things such as field position, plays in opposition 20, time in possession,field position opposition is restricted to etc. And yes i know its only stats but the interesting thing is that it does show the problem that we see on the field every week i.e. with the possession and field position we have we should be scoring a mountain of points. And in defence we are defending well in our 20 mtr zone but allowing tries to be scored more often than other teams from longer range tries.

expected_plot.png

Here’s where things start to diverge. Penrith, despite sitting 4-4, have been incredibly dominant as usual with their attacking field position, with an averaged expected score of 24.8 this season. What has changed is that defensively they’re allowing more than the average expected score of 19.5 this season, at 20.1.

Under this analysis the Wests Tigers should be one of the leading sides in the competition. At 23.3 expected points per game, they would place second in the NRL for attack and their 15.7 average expected points conceded is the best in the competition.

This shows that the issue for the Tigers isn’t field position, as they are able to get in positions to score and are the best in the league at keeping opponents out of scoring areas. Obviously this means they’re not scoring when they should and allowing points from positions that don’t usually yield a try, which is highly concerning.
This analysis is excellent👏

@king_sirro said the same thing. We need to try and play up the middle with offloads and speed players supporting around the ruck. Attacking on the edges with IP and Bateman is a good idea as well. If we draw the defense into the middle and then go to the edges we will score more points.

This team is only starting to develop though. Maybe it's going to take some time. I know that sucks to hear.

My question on tactics is, why do the big guys always try to score when in the 10m zone with a heap of defence in front of them? Takes time to untangle the mess or back to the 10m line for a play the ball
Why not draw their attention, turn and off load before they are swamped/wrapped up to a backup running to the gap created? Coach it! Alternatively, go down quickly for a fast play the ball and let Api to do his bit? They do this 3-4 times and then want the halves to solve the problem on the 4-5 tackle? And usually stuff it up.

Members online

Back