Sheens calls on Tigers to Lift

@innsaneink said:
Short memory geo? :unamused:

Talk about pedantics.
5 wingers, no half no props, no recruiting nous, no idea

How many clubs signed 3 halfbacks…...they are as rare as

Before you say Taumata....please...

Who should have we gone for....Prince, Cronk, Thurston, Orford, Monaghan....

Fifta, Moors, Schirnack on top of Galloway, Gibbs and Payten will do me.....

Forwards aimed up against Saints........

Hindsight with recruitement is a wonderful thing Innk,,,,,,easy target... :unamused:

@graham46 said:
The tigers have probably the best record in the NRL for the worst decision making in spending money to "buy players"and of getting rid of good players. We need to STOP buing players that we never use and invest that money on a DECENT halfback to partner Benji (ie; like Benji and Scott prince were" half back and 5/8 are like salt and pepper. Why didn't we get on the bandwagon and approach the halfback from manly before the bulldogs got him. like someone else said, we Dont need any more wingers!!

Thankfully some see it as it really is without some sort of faithful fawning manlove blinding them, good post Graham.
Sheens really have some of our fans conned

Hodkinson…....that's the answer.....I'd rather have Moltzen ...oh shame he was injured....

How'd he go for Manly last night....

Invest in a halfback.....

Moltz was going into the halves if you listened to Sheens….

Lui was never going to play the full season.....as it is he hasn't

You still aviod the issue....

Which halfback would YOU recruit?

You have hit the nail on the head Geo.
Wests Tigers have two first grad half backs: Moltzen and Lui - alas they are both injured.
True halfbacks [and 5/8s] are rare in the NRL because they are usually much physically smaller than the other players.
It's hard these days for guys 5'10" and under weighing 90kg and under to get through junior rugby league without sustaining career ending injuries - particularly playing in the pivotal positions heavily targeted by the opposition big boppas. They MUST be able to tackle too or they will be speedhumps for opposition props. Hiding out in the three quarter line in defence will not work in first grade.
Have a look at Robert Lui. He is a good defender - for his size and position. If he played in yesteryear he would be utilized elsewhere. He is of the same size as the great second rowers that played for the Roosters in the "greatest team of the 20th century" the Roosters of 1974 and 1975\. I'm talking about Kevin "Stumpy" Stevens and Barry "the Axe" Reilly.
IMO if the Wests Tigers can field their spine [1, 6, 7 and 9] at full strength between now and the last round OUR team can be minor premiers.
I understood Farah's minor premiership comments as meaning the team is aiming for that and will not settle for less.
That's good.
Go the Tigers!

@Geo. said:
Moltz was going into the halves if you listened to Sheens….

Lui was never going to play the full season.....as it is he hasn't

You still aviod the issue....

Which halfback would YOU recruit?

Mate, if youre just going to make stuff up then theres no point conversing
Sheens has always seen Moltz as a fullback, lieing doesnt add to your argument
Who said Lui wouldnt play all year, you?
Im no recruitment officer geo, but in the years weve been looking for one, Luke Walsh has moved, Monaghans moved on, and Hodkinson next year….I imagine you'll find excuses for all three

@ron burgandy said:
@Geo. said:
Tame = wing days are over
Daniela = centre
Brown = centre
Fitzy = utility or super sub…...

tame = winger
daniela and brown have played more games on the wing then any other position
fitzy = winger
\
\
anyway no matter which way you slice it we signed 5 outside backs for this season with only one producing the goods

Tame = front row after watching him tear up for Balmain today and score a double by running up the middle. Mind you he's still pretty quick too.

@innsaneink said:
Mate, if youre just going to make stuff up then theres no point conversing
Sheens has always seen Moltz as a fullback, lieing doesnt add to your argument
**Who said Lui wouldnt play all year, you?**

Not me…..Tim Sheens

@Tim Sheens said:
**Sheens on the other hand has suggested Tim Moltzen could see plenty of time at halfback**, the veteran coach fearful of rushing Lui before his time

"At the moment I am using Timmy Moltzen at one but I am hopeful that will go eventually to Tuqiri," Sheens said.

"Tim had a great season last season at fullback and when he played seven he did very well.

"Robert Lui has a future at seven if he really wants to take it as he has terrific talent, **but he has a long way to go, he is 19.**

**"But I am going to blood him slowly this season and the trial is a good start.**"
http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-at-sixes-and-sevens-over-halfback-20100218-oegc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

\

Im no recruitment officer geo, but in the years weve been looking for one, Luke Walsh has moved, Monaghans moved on, and Hodkinson next year….I imagine you'll find excuses for all three

No don't need to find excusses......so it's just a winge ....

LOL….youre becoming incoherent again, I dunno what you think that rubbish proves, other than theres not much on Moltzen in google atm. :laughing:
Nice try.

it's about Lui….just answering your question.....

You need to work on your comprhension skills innk....

You bagged no recruitment of a half......

Why bother with Walsh or Hodkinson......They are no better than the youth we have....

We should buy Prince, Cronk or Thurston.....that makes sense if your going to recruit a halfback not try and develop your own..

This is a great debate guys, with the odd jibe… Cat&Fiddle, loving your thoughts...

Geo & Ink, your both got very good points as this is the number one question which the club has faced since we lost Scott. The club does appear to be wasting coin on players not nessacary producing the goods, but I'm not too sure what the reasoning has been...

My number 1 guess would be Revenue?

3 or 4 years ago I would have $$, these days it's more than likely still image. We do have a much cleaner image however we don't have a winning image that a lot of the'more successful clubs do and that makes it hard to attract quality players. Having said that, I do think that ability to attract players is changing. If we can get one or two players in SOO it will go a long way in helping our cause in this area.

the reason penrith are where they are has alot to do with walsh…you are under - rating him with no just reason geo

Yes Walsh has done fantastically but to be fair he was playing reserve grade behind some average footballers at the nights and penrith took him because they were desperate and it turned out great. I am still very happy with Lui and Moltzen as halfbacks just they are out injured.

As for our recruitment lots of teams are much worse and most of the players we let go have gone on to do bugger all - Prince and Laffranchi the only exceptions and we tried hard to keep Prince and probably not quite hard enough on Laffranchi but it happens

We have a fantastic side this year- Moltzen was going to halfback this year once TNT came back which would have allowed Lote to FB and Moltzen to half

People on here really do make stuff up to suti their cause (and yes me included sometimes I am sure) but in this case its not our halves the problem its that they are injured

And I know this may come as a shock to everyone on here but we are 3rd mayby 4th after today but still top 4 after 16 rounds and we would all have taken that at this stage of the yr especially if you were told Moltzen and TNT would be out all season if asked at the start - WE ARE 3rd and you are all talking doom and gloom - what more can you ask for really

@boonboon said:
And I know this may come as a shock to everyone on here but we are 3rd mayby 4th after today but still top 4 after 16 rounds and we would all have taken that at this stage of the yr especially if you were told Moltzen and TNT would be out all season if asked at the start - WE ARE 3rd and you are all talking doom and gloom - what more can you ask for really

This is correct and it does surprise me and at the same time fill me with hope as we, imo, have not played good consistent football this year.

It was a bloody stupid move to buy all those wingers…although one may turn out to strengthen us in another position that we are clearly lacking in.

IMO someone needs to light a fire under Galloways backside.....he doesn't put in enough for my liking.

But there is a negative to being 3rd at the moment even though it's good ..one only has to look at the bye situation with teams 2 points below us and it's not that rosy ..we have to win the next 2 games to consolitate our position and if not the pressure will be on !

When it rains, it pours, karma, what goes around comes around….use any of these classic clichés if you will. Signing Taumata originally at the back end of last season as a half, playing him in the halves for most of the season, then sensationally wanting to manufacture the bloke into a centre and then releasing him has left Sheens with the same problem since 2007\. The void that has never been filled since Prince left for the sun, sand and surf. A halves partner for Marshall. Moltzen, Lui, yes have proven their worth, but both aren't available for selection. Lazarus, nor Waters for that matter is not the answer. Both are not first grade material in my opinion. Taumata should have been given an opportunity, instead Sheens releases him just when Wests need him.Instead we know have our solid right centre, pushing in to the custodian role of a traditional 5/8th while Marshall reverts back to a traditional halfback when the Tigers have been playing the new modern styles of sharing the first and second receiver roles on either side of the ruck. The dynamics of the side's attack have once again been messed with and at this point in the season, Wests could ill afford to see this derail their finals aspirations. And people wonder why the club has failed time and time again in recent years. Look no further than the 'manufacturing King' - Coach Sheens. We could be in a spot of bother people...

@Gobbs said:
When it rains, it pours, karma, what goes around comes around….use any of these classic clichés if you will. Signing Taumata originally at the back end of last season as a half, playing him in the halves for most of the season, then sensationally wanting to manufacture the bloke into a centre and then releasing him has left Sheens with the same problem since 2007\. The void that has never been filled since Prince left for the sun, sand and surf. A halves partner for Marshall. Moltzen, Lui, yes have proven their worth, but both aren't available for selection. Lazarus, nor Waters for that matter is not the answer. Both are not first grade material in my opinion. Taumata should have been given an opportunity, instead Sheens releases him just when Wests need him.Instead we know have our solid right centre, pushing in to the custodian role of a traditional 5/8th while Marshall reverts back to a traditional halfback when the Tigers have been playing the new modern styles of sharing the first and second receiver roles on either side of the ruck. The dynamics of the side's attack have once again been messed with and at this point in the season, Wests could ill afford to see this derail their finals aspirations. And people wonder why the club has failed time and time again in recent years. Look no further than the 'manufacturing King' - Coach Sheens. We could be in a spot of bother people...

intelligent post, but with lui and moltzen injured who do we put in there? but then i also agree we need marshall at second reciever.

We are rueing the release of taumata now :frowning:

Back