OFFICIAL Sheens gone

Couple of thoughts.

Lots of people saying Marshall has no experience, or too little experience, to succeed. Adam O'Brien, Fitzgibbon, Seibold, Demetriou & Ciraldo used as examples. Funny- Billy Slater, with no experience, was instantly successful. Ciraldo, with 8 years as assistant, and Gould in his pocket- barely better than what we offer. Coaching is 100% more about the person than their experience. Assistant coaches do the detail- Benji's job is to get everyone heading the same way.

Bigger issue now is who Benji is surrounded by & what roles people play. Farah already being discussed as HOF/GM. Ok, same principle in some ways to Benji and his lack of experience. The HOF/GM & the HC MUST have 1 vision. And be strong enough to implement it. These guys are career football guys. They might lack the finer polish, but the raw skills SHOULD be there. If the GM/HOF IS Farah, the club has a ready-made advisor/mentor within the joint venture ranks in Paul Sironen, the Football Manager at Balmain. Again, so long as they are surrounded by people working toward the same goal- they have a chance.

John Morris as the lead assistant coach- cool. That can work. I'm not 100% against Furner staying on. He has so many years experience, it seems a shame to lose that. But Morris should have the connection with Benji & Farah right away as well. It makes for an incredibly young coaching group. Someone from outside the Tigers structure wouldn't hurt. Maybe Hook as an assistant? He's known as a great coach for young players. I'd feel much better if Benji had assistants that were battle tested. The key with this is slightly different- they cannot be viewed as challengers to Benji's job. That is my main concern with John Morris. Hook along with Brett Hodgson would be even better.

Sheens chose to step down. It's important that people supporting the club keep this in mind. Our faith in the club is tested often enough as it is. Are there issues that lead to this? Probably. Fulton, the board, McDonnell, age, Brooks leaving, the win-loss record etc. They probably all play their part. But nobody was sacked. As far as we are aware, no bad blood. This was ALWAYS the plan, just a year early. Could be Sheens realised he was so hands-off that Benji was essentially doing the job as is, so may as well let him do it.

Hooper on 360 can't get out of his own narrative. If I hear circus, clowns or paddle pop one more time, he's on mute. Anasta- I actually believe he wants the best for at least Benji, if not the club. His comment, along with Tallis, about setting standards the club has to attain to, he's absolutely right. It's time for the coaches to OWN this. The coaches cannot control the CEO or board. They can only control what they have power over. What happens on the field, at training, in the dressing room- throughout the grades- has to be set by the coaches. Vision. Discipline. That's what the coaches need. Forget the players- they will sort themselves out & get selected or not selected based on how well they fit the VISION. This is where, and how, Benji has to be successful.

With that in mind, I'd highly recommend Benji talk with Cooper Cronk. I don't know if Cronk is a great coach or not (Sam Walker, here's looking at you), but he is a guy that has singular vision & drive. If he can be part of that coaching structure somehow...that's the kind of mentality the club needs.

Lastly- whoever becomes responsible for pathways post-Sheens is potentially the most important guy at the club. I believe Wayne Lambkin is extremely well respected for his work with the young guys. His role, and others like him, vital for ongoing success down the road.

Need to get serious about assistants and a GM. If they just keep fighting he has no chance.
My worry is that there are not enough decision makers that understand football or team structure to understand the direction Marshall wants to take with the team. That and, too many big egos that are more concerned with their own little bit of power than with what the team needs. I guess we'll find out.

Hmmm…can understand why Sheens left as the hierarchy diverted from the 5 year plan within about 7 months. IMHO this all goes back to the Fulton signing - which was handled about as well as eating cake with boxing gloves.

The issue for me is that we’ve just rearranged the deck chairs. Yes Tim has gone but Benji by all accounts does not have a good relationship with Fulton either.

I think there will be more to play out here. Our lack of success will only heap pressure on the club (and Benji). History tells me the club will make a decision that will only disrupt and we will be starting again come 2025

My worry is that there are not enough decision makers that understand football or team structure to understand the direction Marshall wants to take with the team. That and, too many big egos that are more concerned with their own little bit of power than with what the team needs. I guess we'll find out.

I know the Sheens removal is emotive. But the thought of rolling in with him next year with this year result is a concern too.

It's also worrying how the modern WT could not stick to a tim sheens game plan.

The whole two coaches was never going to work with our team. Was a bad decision by all involved, Tim, CEO and board.

Realistically tho, I maintain the issue is recruitment and we need o get the right players and the right people in with the football operations which has shown only a few teams can do.

This is just another Embarrassing chapter in the Wests Tigers 23 year history.

Im almost at the end
Totally agree with you, i wonder what the past players from both Balmain & West would be thinking about this shambles. I would not be one little bit surprised if some of our signed players have a clause in their contracts regarding getting out of their contracts ......... I would!

360 honkers writing us off next year, already.

Losing Brooks will benefit the team.
Having a new halves pairing with some actual football ability , in Sezar / Sullivan / Fainu will improve this squad massively.

We've got Api playing 3 positions at the moment, adding some smarts in the spine will make his job easier.

We WILL be a better team in 2024.
I know it.

Having a new halves pairing with some actual football ability , in Sezar / Sullivan / Fainu will improve this squad massively.

We've got Api playing 3 positions at the moment, adding some smarts in the spine will make his job easier.

I know it.
Agree Demps,

The new halves should at the very least be able to put a Blore or Ipap through a gap with their deft passing Fainu is very good like Schuster at Manly.

If we can also get repeat sets in the opposition 20, we could build pressure that gives the forwards the rewards they have earnt getting us up there in the first place.

Whilst this year has not seen the results I believe there are a few positives with kids getting more experience and a lot of our games have been close with some good sides. We have no choice but to invest in the juniors as we are not getting stars to come here without have success first, as most want to win the comp not just take a pay cheque.

I spoke to a well known player agent who was at the same barber about the tigers recently and he said most agents were not happy with the Sheens appointment as he had not been successful for sometime and his words " That is just a typical Tigers thing to do" in bringing him back rather than give a younger coach a go. He thought Benji will build a good culture but did say he needs an assistant to devise game plans and reviews as Benji is more flashy than theory.

I think we will be better in 2024 also, but unfortunately I thought the same this year after the Canberra trial.

Depth will hurt most sides like ours and we need those juniors getting a shot in KOE next year to see how they handle it.

It is hard to follow this side but like most on here we can't change as it is in our blood and DNA.

I know it.
We only really have to avoid the spoon next year and automatically better

Anyhow, Blind faith is better than nothing I suppose...

We are 100% in agreement on this point.

We are going to have an elite spine next year:-

1. Bula the magic man
6. Latu Fainu - the 2nd coming of Wally Lewis
7. Sullivan - Steve Mortimer clone but with more zip zip
9. Api - the best dummy half in the game

Back that up with a big angry pack and fast powerful outside backs.

To top it all off Benji "Jack Gibson" Marshall as coach.

I'm not a betting man but I won't be able to avoid putting the life savings on us to win the comp next year.

We've won 3 games with Benji at coach
We're losing one of our better players

Why's next year better?

Refer my answer above. I could also detail our elite pack and outside backs but I don't have time.

You blokes are Drunk with your blind faith in this "New Halves Pairing"
- Which isn't actually a pair 'yet' I might add.

The one kid that's signed - Hasn't played a game....

The other that's apparently signed, Has Hamstring issues (Already) And hasn't done enough worth bragging about to be counting on him for anything...

And the other rumour, Isn't a 7 - Despite everyone automatically claiming he is,
Hasn't played NRL for years - And wasn't that good in the 10 years he did play NRL...

You could easily argue blind faith was sticking with Brooks as 7 for 10 years, just hoping that the next year will be the year, and it never was, and some were still hoping he stays and next year will be the year

You blokes are Drunk with your blind faith in this "New Halves Pairing"
- Which isn't actually a pair 'yet' I might add.

The one kid that's signed - Hasn't played a game....

The other that's apparently signed, Has Hamstring issues (Already) And hasn't done enough worth bragging about to be counting on him for anything...

And the other rumour, Isn't a 7 - Despite everyone automatically claiming he is,
Hasn't played NRL for years - And wasn't that good in the 10 years he did play NRL...

Come have a drink Bat Boy and join the glass half full team.

Sure the glass may be dirty have more cracks than a drug lord or that is safe to hold, but as a Tigers tragic we can only live in hope.

No one knows what the next year or the recruits will deliver but I would rather have hope than walk away and not care.

We have been close in a lot of games this year and with some structure and game plans we may surprise a few. Cowboys did it last year

Anyway love this forum as everyone has an opinion, however we all want the same ,and that is success on the field. I don't care how many hats get sold I want to see wins, starting with the Tuna friendly Dolphins this week.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Back