Sheens pushes Moltzen for NSW; Tuqiri to miss season start

@cktiger said:
I was right … didn't take long for all the knockers!
Realistically Sheens is talking his players up before the start of the season and Moltzen would need to kill it at half to be picked there for Origin this year - but people seem to forget he has already been named in the emerging Blues squad while Sheens had him playing half , centre , wing, fullback and bottlewasher last year.
Obviously some of the good judges of football talent in this forum haven't been asked to be rep selectors - or maybe they don't know as much as they think :unamused:

bahahaha… You do realise he was selected by the same NSW Selectors who havent picked a winning combination for 50 years!

I'd love to see Timmy Choo Shoes playing Origin... :roll

@Tiger Watto said:
@cktiger said:
Realistically Sheens is talking his players up before the start of the season and Moltzen would need to kill it at half to be picked there for Origin this year - but people seem to forget he has already been named in the emerging Blues squad while Sheens had him playing half , centre , wing, fullback and bottlewasher last year.
Obviously some of the good judges of football talent in this forum haven't been asked to be rep selectors - or maybe they don't know as much as they think :unamused:

bahahaha… You do realise he was selected by the same NSW Selectors who havent picked a winning combination for 50 years!

I'd love to see Timmy Choo Shoes playing Origin... :roll

Ayshord and Woods are in the emerging squad as well - maybe in a few years we can get them in with Farah , Galloway and Lawrence and ,like the days of old , dominate Origin with a team stacked with Tigers :smiley:

I dont know, I must see things very differently to alot of you guys.

Moltzen will excell in the halves with Benji.

He has vision (his best asset) and in my opinion has a great long and short passing game. His defence isn't too bad either.

Kicking game - whilst we haven't seen much of it he hasn't really had a chance to hone that element of his game playing fullback and centre. But he has a massive boot on him (he's put up some huge bombs). I expect to see some ordinary kicks early in the season but he'll get better with games.

Origin - Pearce has a mortgage on the 7 and would have to be injured to be ommitted. Then theres Carney and Soward. But I have no problem with Sheens publically setting goals for Moltz. He sits down with players and discussess goals with them every pre season. Most of the time they are truely out of reach but he wants his players to constantly strive for higher achievments.

Can't wait for Moltzen to show you knockers what he's got. That ball will sing across the park with Benj and Moltz linking. We will be so much more expansive with Moltzen having real options on the right.

Good luck to the bloke, hope he has a blinder of a season. Pearce could have both legs broken and he'd still be our half for Origin, regardless of how anyone else plays. Peter Wallace should have been there last year.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

could only see moltzen grabbing the utility spot on the bench, and that wont happen till gidley gets injured/retires/goes to england. unless gidley is in the starting team?

@steve-o said:
could only see moltzen grabbing the utility spot on the bench, and that wont happen till gidley gets injured/retires/goes to england. unless gidley is in the starting team?

Honestly, I thought Moltzen would be perfect for a Utility Role up until last year… After seeing how he played when switched and changed most weeks, it became obvious to me that this does not suit his game. Moltzen is a starter, as he needs time to work his way into a game.

Being effective off the bench is a whole different mind set!

@Tiger Watto said:
@steve-o said:

Honestly, I thought Moltzen would be perfect for a Utility Role up until last year… After seeing how he played when switched and changed most weeks, it became obvious to me that this does not suit his game. Moltzen is a starter, as he needs time to work his way into a game.

Being effective off the bench is a whole different mind set!

good point about moltzen struggling in different positions last yr. though i think being a utility off the bench for 1 game (or 3) is different to being a club utility and switching positions every week. moltzen would be good cover for injuries for a number positions (eg fb, centre, halves) and if no one were to get injured he could be injected into the game at hooker to speed things up around the ruck and to give the starting hooker a break.

@The Tooth said:
I dont know, I must see things very differently to alot of you guys.

Moltzen will excell in the halves with Benji.

He has vision (his best asset) and in my opinion has a great long and short passing game. His defence isn't too bad either.

Kicking game - whilst we haven't seen much of it he hasn't really had a chance to hone that element of his game playing fullback and centre. But he has a massive boot on him (he's put up some huge bombs). I expect to see some ordinary kicks early in the season but he'll get better with games.

Origin - Pearce has a mortgage on the 7 and would have to be injured to be ommitted. Then theres Carney and Soward. But I have no problem with Sheens publically setting goals for Moltz. He sits down with players and discussess goals with them every pre season. Most of the time they are truely out of reach but he wants his players to constantly strive for higher achievments.
\
\
\
That's how I see it Tooth,I'm pumped about the 6/7 combo….the boys are very tight,know each others game backwards and both are attacking weapons.

I think its a great move by master coach.
\
\
\
Can't wait for Moltzen to show you knockers what he's got. That ball will sing across the park with Benj and Moltz linking. We will be so much more expansive with Moltzen having real options on the right.

I really liked moltz @ fb, thought he grew into the role well n finished last season in great form. That being said I also really liked him @ 7 n if he n his BFF benji can stay injury free I think they'll be carvin em up in no time. The only place I didn't like Timmy was in the centres as I thought he was lost, both personally n to the team but sometimes injuries force ur hand

I think he'll have a great year @ hb
Don't know bout origin tho???
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

@cktiger said:

And my guess is that they would not pick Moltzen in any position. I certainly would not.

ill never get why our fans bag Moltzen so much, he gets a ridiculous amount of criticism. Everytime he makes a mistake that is all blokes focus on, I dont know how many times I have heard blokes bagging Moltzen for letting the ball bounce against the gold coast, in his first game at fullback 4 games back from a knee reco…. fullbacks let the ball bounce all the time. even Billy Slater! One game last year in his form run and our great winning streak, Timmy had a great game ans put in a poor kick late in the game, all we read about on here was the bad kick, any other player gets no where near this amount of bad press from his own fans.

Personally I rate him and reckon he has talent, I like him at either fullback or halfback. Some good judges at Saints when they signed him thought he was a potential origin player, Ricky stuart has named him in emerging squads, Phil Gould referred to him as a potential origin player and now Tim Sheens, maybe he is not as bad as some of you guys think...

@magpiecol said:
@cktiger said:

And my guess is that they would not pick Moltzen in any position. I certainly would not.

I'm not saying he deserves to get picked this year either - he would need to play a series of blinders to be even considered.
My point is the guy consistently gets bagged on here for not being able to pass , not being able to kick , not being able to tackle , not being safe under a high ball , not running the ball back right .
Let's get serious - the guy is a FIRST GRADER.
I dont think he would have made it this far (including all the junior rep football) without a little bit of football ability.
Fair enough to criticise if he has a shocker here or there but he is not devoid of talent (or ticker) like a lot on here make out he is.

To me he is a natural running style half that will compliment benjis playmaking.

And they are tight and know each others game back to front.

It's a perect fit IMO.

@cktiger said:

the problem ck is that people are not prepared to find a middle ground,you included.
if you mention a skill set that you haven't seen him show more than once,you get labeled as bagging him.
as i've said in the past,he hasn't shown a passing game that i feel a good half should have.
i think he is predictable to defend.he is a good runner of the football but to take that step up he has to show more in the passing game.he needs to show more using his legs to commit a defender and pass,instead of trying to beat a defensive line with a dummy.
don't really know what type of kicking game he has,simply because he really hasn't had much of a chance to show if he is consistent or not.

his defense is ok to be honest and definitely an upgrade over lui,which should see us as a team improve further in this area.there is no reason why this team shouldn't be one of the best defensive teams in the comp.

i actually think moltzen is a safe choice as half while you have benji and farah both in the team.
but without a dominant partner i just don't see moltzen showing enough to worry a defense and control a game.
maybe in time he will,and you would think he will develop more,but it doesn't mean he actually will either.

so for me right now,he is an average half,not bad,but not great either.

lotti's not going to be back to full fitness, including game fit for ages..hhope this isnt groundhog season for him

@bonstonker said:
@cktiger said:

the problem ck is that people are not prepared to find a middle ground,you included.
if you mention a skill set that you haven't seen him show more than once,you get labeled as bagging him.
as i've said in the past,he hasn't shown a passing game that i feel a good half should have.
i think he is predictable to defend.he is a good runner of the football but to take that step up he has to show more in the passing game.he needs to show more using his legs to commit a defender and pass,instead of trying to beat a defensive line with a dummy.
don't really know what type of kicking game he has,simply because he really hasn't had much of a chance to show if he is consistent or not.

his defense is ok to be honest and definitely an upgrade over lui,which should see us as a team improve further in this area.there is no reason why this team shouldn't be one of the best defensive teams in the comp.

i actually think moltzen is a safe choice as half while you have benji and farah both in the team.
but without a dominant partner i just don't see moltzen showing enough to worry a defense and control a game.
maybe in time he will,and you would think he will develop more,but it doesn't mean he actually will either.

so for me right now,he is an average half,not bad,but not great either.

I agree with you on most points bonstonker- but I do try and find some middle ground.
He's far from perfect but imo will be much better for us at half than Lui (who I thought was a massive defensive liability).
Also don't mind anyone mentioning what they consider players strengths and weaknesses - I have done the same on many occasions(as above).
The thing that annoys me about the criticism levelled at Moltzen is that it goes to ridiculous personal attacks on his committment eg having no heart , being scared etc.
He's not the first player to be pilloried on here but you must admit he is the current 'whipping boy'
I feel obliged to stick up for him for the sake of a fair go.

last year was pretty unique in that there was pretty much 3 factions on this board.

the lui,moltzen and miller fan clubs.
there wasn't alot of reason on any of the debates.

and being the halfback brings a much brighter spotlight.
benji and farah have copped plenty of criticism before and will in the future,and moltzen will as well.
it's the nature of the beast when you play the position.

as for moltzen he should be primed for a good start to the season.he probably hasn't felt better mentally or physically to start a season.

@bonstonker said:
last year was pretty unique in that there was pretty much 3 factions on this board.

the lui,moltzen and miller fan clubs.
there wasn't alot of reason on any of the debates.

and being the halfback brings a much brighter spotlight.
benji and farah have copped plenty of criticism before and will in the future,and moltzen will as well.
it's the nature of the beast when you play the position.

**as for moltzen he should be primed for a good start to the season.he probably hasn't felt better mentally or physically to start a season.**

This alone should see Molzten be a success at Halfback.

The kid plays SO MUCH BETTER when he's in Benji's pocket - At Fullback and at centre he looked out of sorts last year.

It may be a character flaw on his behalf, but hey, you may as well play him to his greatest strength - and without Lui there anymore, Halfback will be his strength.

He does have a good attacking passing game, it needs developing….I recall some nice touches from him, once or twice putting blokes into the ingoal, he has a chip n chase...hes an attcking player wholl come into his own in the opposition area, his organizing will take developing though I expect benji to control things in our half

Back