Sheens's suggestion for points allocation

alex

Sheens has suggested this a number of times regarding golden point matches.

Instead of a win being worth 2 points, make it worth 3.

If a game is drawn at 80mins, both teams get a point. Game goes into extra time and the team that wins in extra time gets the other point, so they get 2 for the win and the losing team gets 1\. After all, the teams were level at the conclusion of the 80mins.

I think this is a great idea and would leave fans and players feeling less gutted after a golden point loss.

Thoughts?

no thats a stupid idea. if the scores are equal then it should just finish as a draw

Here's a novel idea. How about we play 80 minutes. If teams are even at the end of that time, each team gets 1 point. Can't get fairer than that…

Only flaw in the system is what if the teams are level at the end of 90 mins such as happened 3 times this year … does each team get 1.5 points?

@Juro said:
Here's a novel idea. How about we play 80 minutes. If teams are even at the end of that time, each team gets 1 point. Can't get fairer than that…

I like the way Oruj thinks!

its a crap idea.

e.g.
team 1 wins 24 games of the season - all of them within 80 minutes. they finish on 48 points.

team 2 wins 24 games of the season - 10 of them in extra time. they finish on 58 points.

the best thing would be to scrap golden point and simply make it extra time. then we would see exciting footy, not a whole heap of attempted field goals and controversial penalty goals.

@mtd said:
its a crap idea.

e.g.
team 1 wins 24 games of the season - all of them within 80 minutes. they finish on 48 points.

team 2 wins 24 games of the season - 10 of them in extra time. they finish on 58 points.

the best thing would be to scrap golden point and simply make it extra time. then we would see exciting footy, not a whole heap of attempted field goals and controversial penalty goals.

ahh … no ...

team 1 wins 24 games all within 80mins and gets 72 points. (3 points for each win)
team 2 wins 24 games - 10 of them in extra time and gets 62 points... (10games x 2points + 14games x 3points)

or slighlty change it - a win is worth two points. if a game is drawn after 80, each team gets 1 point. the game then goes in to extra time. if a team wins they get an additional 1 point, if its a draw it stays at 1 point each

its basically the same as now it just rewards a team who loses in extra time for the drawn score at end of usual time

I like the idea, if its still level after 90 minutes, just keep it to one point each then.

I really think the NRL could make the comp more interesting with the points systems, I wouldnt mind seeing a bonus point system implemented like the Super 14 Rugby.

eg: 5 tries = 1 bonus pt
10 tries = 2 bonus pts

If you lose by less then 6 pts, you get one bonus pt (Okay maybe im suggesting that one because of our tight losses this year :wink: )

By having these systems implemented, it really keeps teams interested in the contest and imagine heading into the final round all the different scenario's that teams will face! Add to that it could result in more attacking football to get those bonus points and reward teams for it.

lol, ive suggested the exact same thing on here and was boo'd for it, now everyone likes the idea. :laughing:

It makes perfect sense. Soccer have 3 points for a win so why cant we? It makes it so much fairer when destributing the points in a draw/golden point scenerio.

@Jazza said:
I like the idea, if its still level after 90 minutes, just keep it to one point each then.

I really think the NRL could make the comp more interesting with the points systems, I wouldnt mind seeing a bonus point system implemented like the Super 14 Rugby.

10 tries = 2 bonus pts

If you lose by less then 6 pts, you get one bonus pt (Okay maybe im suggesting that one because of our tight losses this year :wink: )

By having these systems implemented, it really keeps teams interested in the contest and imagine heading into the final round all the different scenario's that teams will face! Add to that it could result in more attacking football to get those bonus points and reward teams for it.

I don't think it would be a great look to see teams desperately trying to score a 10th try when they are 50 points up against some poor team… The Super 14 bonus points sound okay in theory but really rewards poor defence more than good attack.

@Yossarian said:
@Jazza said:

10 tries = 2 bonus pts

I don't think it would be a great look to see teams desperately trying to score a 10th try when they are 50 points up against some poor team… The Super 14 bonus points sound okay in theory but really rewards poor defence more than good attack.

We normally see that anyway, like when the Broncos smashed Penrith. There could be some tweaks to it, maybe penalise a side for conceding that many tries as well, etc.

I just think it could add a new twist to the comp, really get the fans more involved because of all the different scenarios, keep teams interested, and if there is more attacking footy, then that'll be great in attracting young fans to the game, it may just be a good way to boost the "product" as they say, it wont happen though.

@king sirro said:
lol, ive suggested the exact same thing on here and was boo'd for it, now everyone likes the idea. :laughing:

not everyone :wink:

Here's a suggestion, how about we keep the rules the same on winning in golden point as we do now. If you want to tinker with the points system, here's one to think about. How about if a team wins away from home they get 3 points and if a team wins at home they only get 2 points. Imagine if the tigers beat the titans this week, wouldn't that make the last round even more interesting???

@alex said:
Only flaw in the system is what if the teams are level at the end of 90 mins such as happened 3 times this year … does each team get 1.5 points?

I would think the extra point only comes in to play if one side wins in extra time - if the game is still drawn after extra time both sides finish with a point each

@alex said:
@mtd said:
its a crap idea.

e.g.

ahh … no ...

team 1 wins 24 games all within 80mins and gets 72 points. (3 points for each win)
team 2 wins 24 games - 10 of them in extra time and gets 62 points... (10games x 2points + 14games x 3points)

I like it…..........makes sense.

Back