Should WT re-sign Jamal Idris?

JD Tiger

IMO, Jamal's return to the NRL via Wests Tigers was definitely worth a go. Potentially he could have been great for us. Then injury struck, and I probably like most, thought it was a nice effort, but time to move on and try someone else. Idris is done.

But only today, I was notified by Twitter that Jamal Idris turns 27 today. Still only 27, and for a second rower (/centre), still so young, still possibly half a dozen of his best years to offer.

How bad is his injury? Should we keep him? If it works, if he reaches his peak again, he would certainly help to fill that massive hole in our forwards.

Can we retain him on a trial basis like Dave Taylor at the Raiders?

Your thoughts?

@ said:
IMO, Jamal's return to the NRL via Wests Tigers was definitely worth a go. Potentially he could have been great for us. Then injury struck, and I probably like most, thought it was a nice effort, but time to move on and try someone else. Idris is done.

But only today, I was notified by Twitter that Jamal Idris turns 27 today. Still only 27, and for a second rower (/centre), still so young, still possibly half a dozen of his best years to offer.

How bad is his injury? Should we keep him? If it works, if he reaches his peak again, he would certainly help to fill that massive hole in our forwards.

Can we retain him on a trial basis like Dave Taylor at the Raiders?

Your thoughts?

Yep I think so. I think he'd be a good impact player off the bench. Or even just a good depth player.

We definitely should. In his last couple of games in particular he was really starting to play well and had he not suffered that injury, he'd still be in our starting 17.

Such a strange game.
Imagine saying in 2012 we would be second last in 5 years and looking at Idriss as a depth signing.

I'm a bit iffy about the money side of this, he would have to be on close to minimum to make it worth the risk imo.

@ said:
I'd say no, unless he agrees to play for 150k

Does Idris have many options, is the question. If the answer is no, we would get him for a steal. I assume it would be small base contract plus match payments.

@ said:
@ said:
I'd say no, unless he agrees to play for 150k

Does Idris have many options, is the question. If the answer is no, we would get him for a steal. I assume it would be small base contract plus match payments.

You would assume that Newcastle would be happy to have him on their books.
I would definitely offer him a minimum contract with match payments like you say and would have it in his contract that any time off the field through injury is spent visiting schools- Jamal is arguably the most charismatic player in the NRL and the kids would adore him, plenty of potential future supporters of WT to be tapped into. Would also go all out to ensure Jamal has a job at our club post-career in the marketing/PR department if he is happy to take that career on.
Would love to see him get back on the field for us, was starting to have an impact before the injury. Good man to have around the club is a bonus too.

Strictly speaking we are against another Ballin but Idris actually got onto the field and eventually came good. Surely depends on current expert medical opinion.

Give him a $150K plus bonus' and play in the forwards take it or leave it contract

@ said:
Strictly speaking we are against another Ballin but Idris actually got onto the field and eventually came good. Surely depends on current expert medical opinion.

For every Matt Ballin there is a James Tedesco or Benji Marshall.

As others have said, if he gets a medical clearance, I would take the punt on a heavily incentivised contract.

For the right money I wouldn't be against it. Guess all depends on how he's going mentally and physically after his injury.

He is exactly the sort of player that we need as an edge backrower but he is a massive risk.

Latest posts

Back