Should WT re-sign Jamal Idris?

I don't get how signing Idris is a risk.

If we offer him a minimum contract then how is that risky?

He may have had a history of injuries but every time you go out to play, you're at risk of injury. So signing Cameron Smith might be 'risky' because he may get injured.

If a minimum wage/depth player gets injured it is nothing to get fussed over. And if he does get injured, he can visit schools and community events to promote the Tigers.

If he doesn't get injured, we have a massive player ripping into the opposition.

I definitely think we should sign him

My first thought was to say no but after reading all the positive posts I've changed my mind. Minimum contract with incentives.

Well worth retaining. Good style of bloke and can play as we all know. Could be a gun back rower or centre when fully fit.

Big yes if he is cleared medically.. Although not the most fearsome pack going around we could start with all rep forwards next yr + one on the bench

@ said:
I don't get how signing Idris is a risk.

If we offer him a minimum contract then how is that risky?

He may have had a history of injuries but every time you go out to play, you're at risk of injury. So signing Cameron Smith might be 'risky' because he may get injured.

If a minimum wage/depth player gets injured it is nothing to get fussed over. And if he does get injured, he can visit schools and community events to promote the Tigers.

If he doesn't get injured, we have a massive player ripping into the opposition.

I definitely think we should sign him

Not the same risk as it would be for Smith.

Jamal has done his knee twice - more like the risk of Ballin than Smith.

However on 150k + match payments it may work to our benefit. (was on 250+ match payments).

He is a large man and has knee problems.No thanks i know it would be a calculated risk and i doubt if he would want less money than he was getting this year.Let somebody else pay him a pension

I think Jamal would need to be in the top grade to stay motivated and I can not see him cracking a spot next year. Also from what I heard, he was not in the 2018 plans even before he got injured, so I would say he is very long odds. I seriously think the game has gone past him, he just lacks the speed to be in the backline and the engine to be in the forwards

He's not on much this year, a lot of it was incentive based so I'd give him another go. Watch the games against the Dragons and Eels which we lost, but Idris was one of our best in those games, his defence was really starting to look good with some great one on one tackles. He simply isn't a centre, but as a backrower he offers a lot of upside when fit. If he can stay on the field he's an asset.

Big body, feel like Suli is the young version of Idris but better.

Every run you see Suli and Idris take they are making 10+ metres, would be well worth retaining Idris as a backrower to put a hard head in the forwards and at least try to intimidate some packs.

I don't think Jamal will be offered a contract by Wests Tigers moving forward…

Depends on his mental space at the moment… we didnt get to see anywhere near the best of him in 2017.

Wasn't first grade material before the injury.
MWZ or Fonua are better depth options. Suli and Milne will be starters at this stage I believe.

Base contract with incentives…..if we can't find anyone younger with potential.....

@ said:
Depends on his mental space at the moment… we didnt get to see anywhere near the best of him in 2017.

Yep his physical and mental capacity need to be assessed before we offer him a contract and agree with all, that it should be a minimal amount.

Of course not.
He and Kev can pack each others bags and skip off into the sunset together forever. Lazy fat oaf he is.

@ said:
Of course not.
He and Kev can pack each others bags and skip off into the sunset together forever. Lazy fat oaf he is.

You have been reading Abraham's thread on Capitalism a bit too literally.

Yes and on min wages, only if we don't pickup a powerful second rower…plus I'd play him in second row only

Back