Should WT re-sign Jamal Idris?

Normally in this situation I'd say YES if on peanuts, but I'm saying NO this time, we have a history of these types of signings and look where it has got us.
I'd rather promote a youngster than spend the money on someone who's best football is clearly behind him now. The days of paying players to be in rehab then to retire needs to stop and that's what the future looks like with Jamal

@ said:
Normally in this situation I'd say YES if on peanuts, but I'm saying NO this time, we have a history of these types of signings and look where it has got us.
I'd rather promote a youngster than spend the money on someone who's best football is clearly behind him now. The days of paying players to be in rehab then to retire needs to stop and that's what the future looks like with Jamal

Yep those superstars from the NYC beaten by 70 the other week should be rewarded. Any wonder that young players have a sense of entitlement?
Would take Idris on next to nothing, those youngsters can fill the 6 development positions.
Do the sums on how many junior and NYC stars will never make it. Liolavave, Funaki, Seve, Schirnack, Mullaney, Hoeter. The list is endless

Jamal Idris confident of resuming NRL career once recovered from ACL injury

Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph

JAMAL Idris remains confident of overcoming an ACL injury to continue his career, even if it’s not at the Wests Tigers.

Idris hasn’t played since hurting his knee at training in May.

It was feared the injury could end the NRL journeyman’s career, but his manager Sam Ayoub says he is keen to play on.

Idris is currently in lockdown as part of his role on a reality television show, but Ayoub hopes to start talks for a new deal with the Tigers or another NRL club in the coming weeks.

“Jamal has indicated to me that provided the knee is right, he is keen to keep playing,” Ayoub said.

Jamal Idris wants to resume his NRL career once he recovers from an NRL injury. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“He is on a reality show at the moment that I can’t really say much about it.

“He is uncontactable for a couple of weeks.

“Once he gets out of that, we’ll be sitting down and chatting.

“The Tigers have indicated they just want to see how his knee is coming along, but I’ve had a little bit of interest in him from other clubs.”

The Tigers are yet to offer Idris a new deal for 2018 and beyond.

CEO Justin Pascoe said the club will monitor Idris’ knee before making any decisions.

“No discussion at this point — just allowing him (Jamal) to focus on rehab,” Pascoe said.

Asked if Idris was part of the club’s long-term plans, he replied: “Not sure yet.”

we may as well because it looks like we have run out of any other options. really cant believe we have not come up with any other signings very disappointing, it did look like we were going to be very strong for 2018 but we are at least 2 forward short and maybe one back.

@ said:
we may as well because it looks like we have run out of any other options. really cant believe we have not come up with any other signings very disappointing, it did look like we were going to be very strong for 2018 but we are at least 2 forward short and maybe one back.

Really! No other options!
And new season is only 8 months away.
:blush:

Plenty of options out wide Rona, Koribete, James Roberts, Auava, Mosby, Gagan. We don't need depth cloutside backs we have plenty. One gun starter like Rona would be ideal.

@ said:
I don't get how signing Idris is a risk.

If we offer him a minimum contract then how is that risky?

He may have had a history of injuries but every time you go out to play, you're at risk of injury. So signing Cameron Smith might be 'risky' because he may get injured.

If a minimum wage/depth player gets injured it is nothing to get fussed over. And if he does get injured, he can visit schools and community events to promote the Tigers.

If he doesn't get injured, we have a massive player ripping into the opposition.

I definitely think we should sign him

So , does this mean that Cameron Smith is a risky buy because of a long history
Of serious injuries.
Thanks for the laugh :laughing:

Minimum wage plus move him to the forwards… could be a great prop or edge backrower with a nice offload

@ said:
@ said:
I don't get how signing Idris is a risk.

If we offer him a minimum contract then how is that risky?

He may have had a history of injuries but every time you go out to play, you're at risk of injury. So signing Cameron Smith might be 'risky' because he may get injured.

If a minimum wage/depth player gets injured it is nothing to get fussed over. And if he does get injured, he can visit schools and community events to promote the Tigers.

If he doesn't get injured, we have a massive player ripping into the opposition.

I definitely think we should sign him

So , does this mean that Cameron Smith is a risky buy because of a long history
Of serious injuries.
Thanks for the laugh :laughing:

Mate, you know exactly what his point was.. Suggesting Idris is no risk on a minimum contract. If you dont agree post why not, otherwise leave the kid alone.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back