Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Here is the kid mate. The kid has scored 11 tries in 12 games in Harold Matts in two seasons. Reach out to Bronson Harrison who is the new pathways boss at Tigers, he is shattered the kid is leaving, he has said he is one of the best kids to come through the Balmain system in the last several years.

Mikey Nasser scoring for Hills Sports in schoolboys comp.
When did Bronson Harrison come on board in pathways? Is he replacing Siro at Balmain?

It ultimately comes down to basic economics. Luai is arguably the best NRL player available in the current 1st November cycle. I know some don't like him, but is there someone else you would propose? His winning record is elite (with and without Cleary) and he has 3 premiership rings to show for it. Ironically many of the things that people dislike about him are the things they would love about him if he was playing at their club. But I digress. The best available player is being courted by the worst avaialble club. If the first part of that statement regarding Luai is subjective, then surely the second is not. Two wooden spoons in a row pretty much closes the case on that one. So if he was to consider the Tiges, it would only be for an eye watering sum of money and probably locked in for 5 years. Why else would he go there? Sure, other things might sway his thinking - which team has most upside potential, does he like the coach, does he have old teammates he can hang with - but for him to leave the best club to head to the worst will only happen if Wests Tigers offer him a massive earn.
I don't know what the right amount is, but if they were prepared to go to $1.3-1.4M for Mitchell Moses, who has never won a premiership, then you have to assume they would go to that for Luai.
It will be an interesting one. Panthers have said they can't go beyond $800K, so even if they are bluffing it might be $900K for say 4 years, $3.6M. Compare that to the $1.2-1.4M that he might get open market, $4.8M-$5.6M for 4 years, that's a lot to turn your back on. If he does stay at Penrith for that much less, good on him. And for those that say it makes a mockery of the salary cap, I would say to them it simply highllights the importance of culture, connection and strong governance at a club. The dividend you get from that is talent at a lower price.
That's my point, though: if you can't sign top end free agent talent without offering so much money that it basically becomes impossible to construct a decent roster around your marquee players, you have to find a way to win without signing top end free agents. I'm not sure how else to put it.

It's actually quite ironic that we're looking at what Penrith has avhieved and thinking the way to emulate it is to sign their players. The way to emulate it is to build what they have: a production line of homegrown talent, players who have come through the grades together and want to play, and win, together.

It ultimately comes down to basic economics. Luai is arguably the best NRL player available in the current 1st November cycle. I know some don't like him, but is there someone else you would propose? His winning record is elite (with and without Cleary) and he has 3 premiership rings to show for it. Ironically many of the things that people dislike about him are the things they would love about him if he was playing at their club. But I digress. The best available player is being courted by the worst avaialble club. If the first part of that statement regarding Luai is subjective, then surely the second is not. Two wooden spoons in a row pretty much closes the case on that one. So if he was to consider the Tiges, it would only be for an eye watering sum of money and probably locked in for 5 years. Why else would he go there? Sure, other things might sway his thinking - which team has most upside potential, does he like the coach, does he have old teammates he can hang with - but for him to leave the best club to head to the worst will only happen if Wests Tigers offer him a massive earn.
I don't know what the right amount is, but if they were prepared to go to $1.3-1.4M for Mitchell Moses, who has never won a premiership, then you have to assume they would go to that for Luai.
It will be an interesting one. Panthers have said they can't go beyond $800K, so even if they are bluffing it might be $900K for say 4 years, $3.6M. Compare that to the $1.2-1.4M that he might get open market, $4.8M-$5.6M for 4 years, that's a lot to turn your back on. If he does stay at Penrith for that much less, good on him. And for those that say it makes a mockery of the salary cap, I would say to them it simply highllights the importance of culture, connection and strong governance at a club. The dividend you get from that is talent at a lower price.
Well said. My stubborn gut disagrees, but I can’t dispute any of above. I appreciate you putting the time into this post. Stupid Tigers gut, can’t even look forward to Luai… what is wrong with me

Didn’t he just re-sign with Manly?

Off contract 2025 or something and they want to extend him.

The tone was everything is awesome, but he kept repeating, that haumole keeps saying that he wants to stay at Manly and they will get it done.

Reactions: 851
In their latest podcast, Weidler said it would not surprise if Addo-Carr is not at the Bulldogs next season & Chammas commented that a coach like Benji may be more suited to someone like JAC who wants to do so much outside of footy. No link to Tigers, just journos opinions.
To mean that would indicate that Addo-Carr is not fully committed to playing NRL. He has other business ventures to concentrate on..

Payne Haas' younger brother Klese is set to hit the open market as he searches for a new home from the start of the 2025 NRL season.

It was rumoured at one point last year that Klese could have been the biggest reason for Payne to consider a change of clubs, but the Origin forward eventually re-signed with the Broncos on a million-dollar or more per season deal to commit at Red Hill long-term.

Klese is now set to be the next Haas hitting the open market according to a Daily Telegraph report, with the youngster unable to secure an upgrade at the Titans thanks to the considerable cash they have already put into their forward pack.

Both Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita used their contract out clauses linked to Justin Holbrook's departure last year to sign long-term, big-money deals with the Titans. Fa'asuamaleaui in particular is set to be a Titan for life, while Fifita is going nowhere for at least the next four years.

In terms of opportunity and money, that is bad news for the younger Haas, who turned 21 during the opening weekend of the 2023 NRL season and has impressed with his on-field ability.

Off-contract at the end of 2024, Haas is able to hit the open market from November 1 to lock up a new deal for 2025, and it now appears almost certain he won't re-sign with the Titans. The Gold Coast, who have a number of other players across their squad locked up on long-term deals, are also looking to splash cash for a big-name halfback in the coming seasons.

Haas could yet find his way to the Broncos alongside brother Payne, with the club's only forward signing for next year being Fletcher Baker. Brisbane's salary cap is stretched, but a signing like Haas could provide value for money and speak volumes to their commitment for big brother Payne.

Plenty of other clubs could yet come to the party in pursuit of the young forward, although his appetite to stray away from the south east corner of Queensland is unclear.

Haas played 15 first-grade games for the Titans in 2023, taking his career tally to 17, with three tries, 11 offloads and a 94 per cent tackle efficiency during 2023.

To mean that would indicate that Addo-Carr is not fully committed to playing NRL. He has other business ventures to concentrate on..
Like Cooper Cronk, say, who left Melbourne because “Tara, my fiancee, is based in Sydney, and there’s a few things in life that are more important than football, like family, getting married and a future"? Yeah I mean definitely don't sign anyone like that. How did he go at the Roosters, incidentally?

I am not totally against signing Luai, Penriths record with Luai and no Cleary is better than Cleary and no Luai, my biggest concern is we have both Fainu and Sullivan on 4 year contracts, and thats not even factoring in Galvin. Would this be bad for team moral, I don't know, but we can't afford to have a mutiny and cop more bad press
could Galvin potentially get a run in the centres and move to 13 at some point ? agree we don't want to lose him either

Well said. My stubborn gut disagrees, but I can’t dispute any of above. I appreciate you putting the time into this post. Stupid Tigers gut, can’t even look forward to Luai… what is wrong with me
To be honest my gut disagrees as well, but I reckon we've been burnt too often by the great recruit that looks like Tarzan at their old club and Jane when they get to the Tiges. Adam Blair, come on down!
But Api has worked out so far. He was still very good in a poor side, so perhaps we can get value out of the marquee signing if we get the right one. Luai is too young just to be taking the payday. I would be concerned about that if he was 3 years older. And he is a competitive SOB who hates to lose so you at least know he will be trying every week and will get up his teammates when they lie down. Anyway - we will see. I would not be surprised to see him stay at Panfers for less coin.

That's my point, though: if you can't sign top end free agent talent without offering so much money that it basically becomes impossible to construct a decent roster around your marquee players, you have to find a way to win without signing top end free agents. I'm not sure how else to put it.

It's actually quite ironic that we're looking at what Penrith has avhieved and thinking the way to emulate it is to sign their players. The way to emulate it is to build what they have: a production line of homegrown talent, players who have come through the grades together and want to play, and win, together.
I get it. And I think directionally you are right. But don't forget, Penrith has the second highest paid player in the NRL at their club, Nathan Cleary, who is on something around $1.3M next year if reports are true. Only Ponga is on more coin. So even the best clubs have a marquee or two who command top dollar and soak up a chunk of the cap. Wests Tigers don't have a solitary player in their top 30 who would command more than $700K on an open market. Api would be the only one, second might be Bulla but only from another bottom 4 club desperate for a fullback.
Local juniors who have played together through the grades is a great strategy, but you do need to throw a big signing in the mix to get things moving. Would Penrith have been as successful if James Maloney hadn't been thrown in to the mix with all that local talent? Who knows.

Back