Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Very good article by Andrew Webster just published on SMH. I've copied it from behind the paywall in another thread linked below.

A few interesting points (including key board dates):

- On Tuesday, the findings from an independent review into the corporate governance of the joint venture will be presented to the Holman Barnes Group. The review is less about Hagipantelis and more about the club’s entire board and structure.

- The right thing for the board to do is accept the recommendations and take action at its final meeting on December 12.

- The man who put Parramatta on the right path was former NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford, who has conducted the Tigers review alongside businessman Gary Barnier.

- The relationship between Marshall and Fulton has simmered. The fact Marshall has taken charge of negotiations with off-contract Penrith five-eighth Jarome Luai speaks to the autonomy he’s been given – for now.

- Marshall will coach less like Sheens and more like Wayne Bennett. The pair speak regularly.

He has scored 11 tries in 12 game of Harold Matts, bit harsh mate. We will find out in the next couple of years.
It is hard not to get disheartened when you learn of our good juniors leaving, especially to the Roosters. Let's hope someone in the club is monitoring and signing the best of our juniors from the Balmain and ex Wests Magpies inner west nurseries.

Gold Coast Titans sign Harley Smith Shields on a two year deal from 2024
Good get for them, and the type of signing we always seem to miss out on. Canberra have had a heap of decent young backs, not future origin stars but solid first graders, yet we've persisted with filling in our squad with nobodies with little future prospects for so long.

We also have a duty of care. Surely what happened to one of our players in the past shows there are more important things than winning.
Sure we have a duty of care, but what was his rock bottom again, a couple of injuries, and he had the eye surgery, all while playing NRL and OMG I’m at rock bott. Geez I reckon there’s been tougher roads had? 🤷‍♂️
This is just Business, my answer now is to cut him. He’s mentally tired and needs to be medically retired for the duration of his contract with us so that we can get him the help he needs. Free up a spot so we can get an nrl standard player to replace him and when his contract is up we can support him by giving him an education in a new field, maybe trainer or coach. Some of the worst players make great coaches.

Good get for them, and the type of signing we always seem to miss out on. Canberra have had a heap of decent young backs, not future origin stars but solid first graders, yet we've persisted with filling in our squad with nobodies with little future prospects for so long.

We tried to sign him 2 years ago, and if we did we would probably be complaining that he is a dud signing because he has barely played since, so I reckon it's a harsh call to say we have persisted with filling our squad with nobody's when tried to sign the guy your talking about, and in turn we would have got zero value out of him.

Good player though.

Seems overkill to me...
I like him, But he's been out for a long time now - Hasn't he got his brothers ACL in his leg or some such?
Seems Like they're replacing Corey Thompson a year later.
I thought they'd be right for smaller backs?

Especially with the emergence of Khan etc. last year?
hmmm...
Maumalo replacement ?

Their wing options aren't that great

Khan, I rate him
Tony Francis, unknown
Jojo Fifita, average
Sami, decent .
Keano Kini could play wing, he loos alright, small though.

No real hectic options

Sure we have a duty of care, but what was his rock bottom again, a couple of injuries, and he had the eye surgery, all while playing NRL and OMG I’m at rock bott. Geez I reckon there’s been tougher roads had? 🤷‍♂️
This is just Business, my answer now is to cut him. He’s mentally tired and needs to be medically retired for the duration of his contract with us so that we can get him the help he needs. Free up a spot so we can get an nrl standard player to replace him and when his contract is up we can support him by giving him an education in a new field, maybe trainer or coach. Some of the worst players make great coaches.
You don't see the "dark side" there and the potential spiral of cutting him?

Here's a novel idea. How about we just finish the contract we signed him up for? Unless we can secure his future with greener pastures.

Sure, some people do it tougher on paper. But you never know what demons someone is battling.

I have never been a huge fan of Kepaoa and don't want to see him starting in our backline however when he was playing off the bench and as second rower I thought he looked a much better player and he is also offers something we don't have with anyone else in our squad and thats the flexibility as a bench number 17 to play both forwards and backs and that ability to cover either off the bench can allow you real flexiblity to how you run the rest of your bench because you don't need to carry a back and with more and more concussion subs in the game every team needs a player who can cover the backs or the forwards. Now to an extent Bateman can be used in the centres too but Kepaoa is really the only player we have who gives our bench that flex

Raiders offloading Harley Smith Shields, they're perhaps making room for Jr Tupou 🤔
We certainly wouldn't let him go for '24 without something in return from Canberra or an incoming player who provides what we need.

Possibles ... Justin Olam, Xavier Savage or perhaps that young winger from the Broncos who @teddy23 mentioned.

We certainly wouldn't let him go for '24 without something in return from Canberra or an incoming player who provides what we need.

Possibles ... Justin Olam, Xavier Savage or perhaps that young winger from the Broncos who @teddy23 mentioned.
If I was the Raiders and signed Tupou I would off Cotric in return

I have never been a huge fan of Kepaoa and don't want to see him starting in our backline however when he was playing off the bench and as second rower I thought he looked a much better player and he is also offers something we don't have with anyone else in our squad and thats the flexibility as a bench number 17 to play both forwards and backs and that ability to cover either off the bench can allow you real flexiblity to how you run the rest of your bench because you don't need to carry a back and with more and more concussion subs in the game every team needs a player who can cover the backs or the forwards. Now to an extent Bateman can be used in the centres too but Kepaoa is really the only player we have who gives our bench that flex
Kepaoa from the interchange as a forward was a revelation. Add to this he would be on a modest contract and there is value. No wonder the Storm were reportedly interested because a player who can provide impact like Kepaoa at a modest salary is a valuable commodity.

Members online

Back