Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Let’s not get carried away. It’s not like Fainu represented Australia. The competition for spots in minnow national teams isn‘t very strong. Brandon Wakeham is also a Test player who must have something going for him by your logic. Yet, he’s without an NRL contract.
No mate, by my logic a kid that manages to play test football before debuting must be showing someone something.. Wakeham has shown us all what he brings to nrl level and Fainu is a next level talent than Wakeham..

Reactions: 851
If I were Benji or Fulton, I'd be seriously prioritising contract discussions with Tupou and his manager and finalising a new contract extension. Still unextended, if the club lets it drag on for much longer, just watch other clubs (Raiders, Chooks) come knocking and potentially offering solid money & picking up another good rising prospect for our club. Tupou said he loves the club, and wants to stay ... OFFER a CONTRACT EXT.

If I were Benji or Fulton, I'd be seriously prioritising contract discussions with Tupou and his manager and finalising a new contract extension. Still unextended, if the club lets it drag on for much longer, just watch other clubs (Raiders, Chooks) come knocking and potentially offering solid money & picking up another good rising prospect for our club. Tupou said he loves the club, and wants to stay ... OFFER a CONTRACT EXT.
Well I’d like to hope we’re proactive, not reactive, in retaining future talent.
I’d hate to think we’re reacting all the time.

From what I've read they have tried to offer him a contract but Tupou or his manager are stating no. He has offers from other clubs. It's about who offers him the most money.

From what I've read they have tried to offer him a contract but Tupou or his manager are stating no. He has offers from other clubs. It's about who offers him the most money.
Really, I would have thought it was a combination of money, teammates, premiership credentials, location etc. I mean who’d want to live in Canberra just for the money ?

Really, I would have thought it was a combination of money, teammates, premiership credentials, location etc. I mean who’d want to live in Canberra just for the money ?

You are right in that everything adds up but the Tigers have been trying to get him to sign for a while. The thing is with someone like Luai for instance he may prefer to stay in Sydney whereas someone like Tupou who I think grew up in Canberra may be happy to go to lots of different clubs.

The point though is we've been trying to get him to sign and it comes down to the contract that we offer.

How much is he worth ?

Haven't heard or read anything about Tupous future. But every single player on the market roles out the 'love the club and their first choice is to stay put' line. It means nothing and is usually followed by 'however I'm just seeing what else is out there'.
It would be damaging to their brand and therefore their market value if they were to say anything else.

Very good article by Andrew Webster just published on SMH. I've copied it from behind the paywall in another thread linked below.

A few interesting points (including key board dates):

- On Tuesday, the findings from an independent review into the corporate governance of the joint venture will be presented to the Holman Barnes Group. The review is less about Hagipantelis and more about the club’s entire board and structure.

- The right thing for the board to do is accept the recommendations and take action at its final meeting on December 12.

- The man who put Parramatta on the right path was former NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford, who has conducted the Tigers review alongside businessman Gary Barnier.

- The relationship between Marshall and Fulton has simmered. The fact Marshall has taken charge of negotiations with off-contract Penrith five-eighth Jarome Luai speaks to the autonomy he’s been given – for now.

- Marshall will coach less like Sheens and more like Wayne Bennett. The pair speak regularly.
If Marshall applies Bennett's man management and accountability philosophy we'll be a middle of the ladder team in '24.

The only problem is we have a lot of holes in the squad and a bunch of young guys that aren't experienced enough to fill them.

we’ve offered him one.

Maumalo replacement ?

Their wing options aren't that great

Khan, I rate him
Tony Francis, unknown
Jojo Fifita, average
Sami, decent .
Keano Kini could play wing, he loos alright, small though.

No real hectic options
What a great offload (Maumalo) by WT.

We certainly wouldn't let him go for '24 without something in return from Canberra or an incoming player who provides what we need.

Possibles ... Justin Olam, Xavier Savage or perhaps that young winger from the Broncos who @teddy23 mentioned.
A work mate of mine is a die hard bronco recons the young winger has signed with roosters?

Reactions: 851
A work mate of mine is a die hard bronco recons the young winger has signed with roosters?
Could be true - was told very recently we have been informed we're no longer an alternative as his management rejected our approach. Thought that would've meant he was remaining at Brisbane but him signing with the Roosters wouldn't shock me.

On the topic of Tupou - his signature should be heavily prioritised. He gives me the same level of excitement when I saw Fox play his debut season for us..... Jason Taylor ruined that for us but I hope Benji/Fulton lock this kid up and we don't make the same mistake twice. Tupou being a supreme young talent in a position we're desperately trying to upgrade would be a big loss if he departs.

He wasn’t going to try anymore, his heart was set the moment he basically got told they want him to coach Panthers again. As much as the admin has been poor, I really can’t blame the decision to let him go. He wouldn’t have cared if we won or lost each week, he might’ve acted like he did, but deep down we know he wouldn’t have given a shit.
Yes you can.
We big dicked ourselves in the press, talking tough about the conditions of his release then folded like a soggy rag.

I think last week someone mentioned if Jimmy Ngutlick is still at the Tigers, haven't seen any replies, or any photos of him at training, has he moved on ???

You don't see the "dark side" there and the potential spiral of cutting him?

Here's a novel idea. How about we just finish the contract we signed him up for? Unless we can secure his future with greener pastures.

Sure, some people do it tougher on paper. But you never know what demons someone is battling.
I do see the dark side there.
Yes we are stuck with him for the duration of his contract. But he’s shite at his job, mentally struggles on not the bumpiest road and you want his employer to find him greener pastures? Who pays the employer for the previous years where he’s not lived up to his value?
How do the storm find greener pastures for their mentally and physically disabled players, there’s not too many greener pastures than the storm? And the chooks don’t seem to care; you’re shite, you’re gone.
Kepeoa’s shiteness would have been punted by the crooks years ago, oh hang on they did punt him, straight to greener pastures, us suckers.
You either want to sign with a good team or a sucker of a team.
He needs to go asap, for the teams sake.

Back