Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Wayne Lambkin leaves Wests Magpies, and will now coach the Blacktown Sea Eagles Workers in the NSW Cup.
Nek minute, Wakeham (ex Wests Magpies) joins Blacktown.
Wayne obviously knows a quality reserve grader when he sees one.
I’d say “I hope he kicks goals”, but we all know he can do that.

Can you post the article please?
It’s behind a paywall.

Mackay’s foothold as one of the country’s strongest regions for NRL talent production won’t be faltering anytime soon.
18-year-old Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis has joined a long list of ‘sugar city’ products to secure development NRL contracts, putting pen to paper with Wests Tigers.
“I’m a bit stoked to proceed with my dream and be training with the Tigers, it’s a big accomplishment for me,” Nehemiah said.
“I was just lost for words, real happy and a bit nervous at the same time.”
Originally from Townsville, Nehemiah began his rugby league career at age seven, before relocating to Mackay and joining Magpies juniors at 10 years of age.

Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis could have a long future with Wests. Picture: Mackay Magpies Senior Rugby League Facebook.

Within seven years the Mackay State High product would climb the ranks to the senior club’s A-grade side, notching three games with the eventual premiers in 2023.
“He did really well, he certainly didn’t look out of place,” Magpies premiership winning coach Scott Thorburn said.
“For a young kid playing in the front row, he didn’t back down … the biggest thing is just showing you’re made out of that tough, resilient, front-rower mould.”
Thorburn was particularly struck by Nehemiah’s application at training.
“His attitude to training and the way he presents himself at training is really important, he’s always well prepared,” Thorburn said.
“He can handle the contact, usually front-rowers aren’t maturing until 25 or 26, for a young kid who was only 17, he did really well to show that toughness at that age.”
Thorburn also believes Wests will be the right place for Nehemiah to continue his development.
“He’s got his foot in the door now, that’s the main thing, he’s got his opportunity,” he said.
“They’re a really strong junior club, the Wests Tigers, I think he’s going to have to go down there now and prove himself.
“Wests weren’t the only club that were looking at him, he got a fair bit of interest after those first grade games which was good.”
Nehemiah’s father, Dan Davis, credited Magpies for the role they played in his development.
“We take our hat off to Magpies juniors and seniors and what they’ve put into him … much appreciation to them, they’ve played a massive role in where he is at the moment,” Dan said.
But what sparked the Tigers’ interest?
Dan recalls that after a series of strong showings for Capricornia at the state titles, Nehemiah caught the eye of his now manager, who would send the front-rower’s tapes to a number of NRL clubs.

Consider his A-grade performances at just 17 too, and it was enough to seal the deal.
Dan also credited Wests for “opening their arms” to help his son adapt to the foreign Sydney lifestyle.
“It’s really good that they’ve done that with the big move that he’s done,” Dan said.
“Big thanks to the Tigers family, they’ve made that transition quite easy for him at this stage.”

Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis settling in at Wests training. Picture: Mackay Magpies Senior Rugby League Facebook.

Speaking from the car en route to his fourth training session, having touched down in Sydney in the past week, Nehemiah said he was struck by the intensity of training in the early days.
“Everything’s got to be 100%, because you’re at the high level you’re always putting in the hard work,” Nehemiah said.
“The first training was a bit full on for me but I’m enjoying it so far.
He did however concede that life in the big smoke was far removed from Mackay, and could take some getting used to.
“It’s a lot different, way bigger,” he said.
“I’m just trying to get around the big city … but settling in pretty

Mackay’s foothold as one of the country’s strongest regions for NRL talent production won’t be faltering anytime soon.
18-year-old Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis has joined a long list of ‘sugar city’ products to secure development NRL contracts, putting pen to paper with Wests Tigers.
“I’m a bit stoked to proceed with my dream and be training with the Tigers, it’s a big accomplishment for me,” Nehemiah said.
“I was just lost for words, real happy and a bit nervous at the same time.”
Originally from Townsville, Nehemiah began his rugby league career at age seven, before relocating to Mackay and joining Magpies juniors at 10 years of age.

Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis could have a long future with Wests. Picture: Mackay Magpies Senior Rugby League Facebook.

Within seven years the Mackay State High product would climb the ranks to the senior club’s A-grade side, notching three games with the eventual premiers in 2023.
“He did really well, he certainly didn’t look out of place,” Magpies premiership winning coach Scott Thorburn said.
“For a young kid playing in the front row, he didn’t back down … the biggest thing is just showing you’re made out of that tough, resilient, front-rower mould.”
Thorburn was particularly struck by Nehemiah’s application at training.
“His attitude to training and the way he presents himself at training is really important, he’s always well prepared,” Thorburn said.
“He can handle the contact, usually front-rowers aren’t maturing until 25 or 26, for a young kid who was only 17, he did really well to show that toughness at that age.”
Thorburn also believes Wests will be the right place for Nehemiah to continue his development.
“He’s got his foot in the door now, that’s the main thing, he’s got his opportunity,” he said.
“They’re a really strong junior club, the Wests Tigers, I think he’s going to have to go down there now and prove himself.
“Wests weren’t the only club that were looking at him, he got a fair bit of interest after those first grade games which was good.”
Nehemiah’s father, Dan Davis, credited Magpies for the role they played in his development.
“We take our hat off to Magpies juniors and seniors and what they’ve put into him … much appreciation to them, they’ve played a massive role in where he is at the moment,” Dan said.
But what sparked the Tigers’ interest?
Dan recalls that after a series of strong showings for Capricornia at the state titles, Nehemiah caught the eye of his now manager, who would send the front-rower’s tapes to a number of NRL clubs.

Consider his A-grade performances at just 17 too, and it was enough to seal the deal.
Dan also credited Wests for “opening their arms” to help his son adapt to the foreign Sydney lifestyle.
“It’s really good that they’ve done that with the big move that he’s done,” Dan said.
“Big thanks to the Tigers family, they’ve made that transition quite easy for him at this stage.”

Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis settling in at Wests training. Picture: Mackay Magpies Senior Rugby League Facebook.

Speaking from the car en route to his fourth training session, having touched down in Sydney in the past week, Nehemiah said he was struck by the intensity of training in the early days.
“Everything’s got to be 100%, because you’re at the high level you’re always putting in the hard work,” Nehemiah said.
“The first training was a bit full on for me but I’m enjoying it so far.
He did however concede that life in the big smoke was far removed from Mackay, and could take some getting used to.
“It’s a lot different, way bigger,” he said.
“I’m just trying to get around the big city … but settling in pretty
He seems like a level headed young man. His father is very supportive and thankful to WTs. He looks a really good prospect for WTs..

Panthers release Zac Hosking to the Raiders .

I thought their CEO said they don’t release players 😂
No idea why we keep ignoring tackle busting edge forwards that become available.
We have Papali’i and Bateman as our obvious starters, then likely Sanueka Fainu and Brandon Tumeth as back up, but no other obvious edge forwards in our top 30-40 players besides them.
Outside of that we signed Reuben Porter from North Sydney Bears to a NSW Cup contract, he was very average for Cook Islands so not holding any high hopes for him all of a sudden becoming an NRL standard player if required.
In saying that he was a regular 80 minute player for the Bears who had a very successful season, so he could surprise.

Last edited:
No idea why we keep ignoring Lal tackle busting edge forwards that cone available.
We have Papali’i and Bateman as our obvious starters, then likely Sanueka Fainu and Brandon Tumeth as back up, but no other obvious edge forwards in our top 30-40 players besides them.
AJ Kepoa should be considered an out and our backrower.

Maybe even Adam Douehi too, if he can harden up.

No idea why we keep ignoring tackle busting edge forwards that become available.
Outside of that we signed Reuben Porter from North Sydney Bears to a NSW Cup contract, he was very average for Cook Islands so not holding any high hopes for him all of a sudden becoming an NRL standard player if required.
They probably view Kepaoa & Seyfarth as 2 who can fill in if necessary

AJ Kepoa should be considered an out and our backrower.

Maybe even Adam Douehi too, if he can harden up.
AJ has the size and speed, not sure about his commitment to rip and tear and use his size and speed effectively.
Doueihi if considered as an edge forward could fall into the same category, he no doubt has the size, speed and talent, but does he have the attitude or toughness required for that position?
FTB just mentioned Seyfarth as another possible back up edge forward. That is probably correct, but I’m one of his biggest supporters and I’m certain he’s much more effective as a middle forward.

Back