Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

It isn’t exactly like a contract actually is binding or means anything in the current NRL

So we miss another target, this is getting to be a major issue

Another one gone..... Gees we will end up with all this cash and no one to spend it on :man-shrugging: :man-shrugging:
I would rather us up the LM offer then spend cash on Moylan...
Broncos look like they are happy to keep Milf so this is getting very bare....

@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087307) said:

It’s been an issue for years. And there’s no sign it’s changing. Despite all the talk and bluster. Our current top 17 is very very average.

We aren't having any luck in our recruitment drive, surely we just wait it out instead of blowing our cash on Moylan. What a let down that would be

@the_third said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087299) said:
@Glenn5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087295) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087222) said:
@tiger05premier said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087200) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087199) said:
Souths should have 360k taken out of their cap for the next 10 years. That's if they don't want a million a year for the next few years

I thought if you were medically retired the player got his money per year as per contract and the money no longer counted in the salary cap

So why than does Burgess have to work 10 years in the office to get his money?

Am I missing something?

Yes, though it is all a massive grey area.

You can be medically retired by the insurance company, or the NRL itself. If Insurance covers a player's wage by medical retirement then the club doesn't have to pay it out, and it gets excluded in the cap.

I've recently learnt that the Chief Medical Officer of the NRL can also retire players, but the club still has to pay their contracts in full, unless insurance declares him unfit to return etc. ***It's not 100% clear what happens with salary when the NRL 'medically retires' a player***, the NRL seems to be able to negotiate terms to a degree. But given the rumour of Souths offering him a 10 year deal worth 3.6 million in an off field role this is their way of ensuring he gets paid in full, via a revised payment plan of sorts. It is his playing contract they're paying him and thus they spread it out to soften the blow.

It is 100% clear, the NRL has a clear written rule about it. They have to prove it wasnt a pre-existing condition, that it was a new unique career ending injury and it has to be able to be shown to have happened at a particular moment in a specific game during the term of his current contract.

Clear rules. Burgess had had 2 previous reconstructions on that shoulder before his last contract.

Career ending is the key. It’s an 18 month injury

I agree with you but that is the icing on the cake. There is nothing about the situation that meets the criteria.

@Kazoo-Kid said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087311) said:
With Zac Lomax out of the equation, looks like we'll all be talking about Matt Moylan for the next wee while. Enjoy. lol.

If Moylan turns us down we’ll be talking Alex Johnston and Matt Dufty

Overs now but who knows about the future, could be a great deal and massive unders. I wouldn’t sign a 6 year deal at this rate.

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087313) said:
With Zac Lomax out of the equation, looks like we'll all be talking about Matt Moylan for the next wee while. Enjoy. lol.

Matt Moylan looking like Graeme Langlands compared to those two.

@Tiger_Steve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087309) said:
@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087307) said:

It’s been an issue for years. And there’s no sign it’s changing. Despite all the talk and bluster. Our current top 17 is very very average.

Despite the claims of the bagdad bobs on here, something is very wrong with the club. They need to address it.

That's a ridiculous contract for the kid to sign. Obviously he doesn't back himself to succeed. That's barely more than Nof and Marsters got here. For a player that's supposed to be the next big thing and a fullback, he's selling himself incredibly short

He turned us down already this offseason ?

Johnson on the wing with JAC on the other provides a nice boost in pace, Dufty at a bargain price is streets ahead of the entitled princess from the Shire. If Maguire is speaking with Moylan he deserves to go.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087320) said:
Johnson on the wing with JAC on the other provides a nice boost in pace, Dufty at a bargain price is streets ahead of the entitled princess from the Shire. If Maguire is speaking with Moylan he deserves to go.

I’ve been one of Thommo’s biggest critics as I think he’s a really poor fullback, but I think Dufty is worse. The guy just can’t tackle.

Frustrating we can never land a big fish, we need a big name and have the cash just can't get it done. Surely we have more sense then helping the sharks with Moylan.

Dufty No
Lomax -overated
Moylan - not great but better than first two and can play 5/8 in 2021 if need to. Jope sharks kick in some coin
Milford - could be great back at fullback if he runs the ball and doesnr ball play

@gallagher said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1087316) said:
Despite the claims of the bagdad bobs on here, something is very wrong with the club. They need to address it.

Yeah we do seem to have a bit of a problem. We’ve got more cash than anyone but we’ve only been able to sign Leilua. You would think a premiership winning coach would be an attraction but it’s certainly not looking that way. We identified Drinkwater, Mitchell, Lomax, Milford, Brimson as potential fullback options and we’ve missed out on all of them.

Dufty has had McGregor as his coach. I believe he is a like to LL in terms of his potential. I did see the great tackle where he put a big winger over the touchline right near the try line. He didn't seem to have concern for his own well being. Moylan wouldn't have made the tackle because he is another very slow player we could add to our already very pedestrian backline.

Back