Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@TheDaBoss said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1102996) said:
Scolari is better than brian toe.......

@TheDaBoss said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1102996) said:
Scolari is better than brian toe.......

Clever clip - Union and league player background at school https://www.instagram.com/p/B7ftEYVJbwP/?igshid=12j4rbr6dvzrv

@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103433) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103430) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103423) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103420) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103416) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103414) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103402) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103401) said:
Yeah he is an upgrade but could we do better with the money we have spare ...

Really? Who?

Well we hadn't wasted 3 weeks waiting like lap dogs for the scraps off Latrells plate we could have done a lot of things

Again.....like what? Who did we miss out on that we wanted?

Well as we have learnt in the last few years everyone is on the market

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

My problem with Joey is he needs to be in the right head space to play well
...he is not the sort of player you know will show up every week and perform well

the two centres re-signed and upgraded by the Roosters within the last 6 months? You are suggesting that we should have tried to sign either of the two remaining centres that the PREMIERS have after Mitchell left, less than six months after they were ugraded to come to the paradise that is Concord? Sound strategy.

So ok....we didnt miss out on anyone, and BJ is the best (only) opportunity available.

Mate the market has been open since November 2019 ....i could name 20 players Drinkwater
Guthrrson
LM

You still havent named a player who is/was off contract other than LM and we had a red hot go at him. Name a play who left their club for 2020 that we missed out on that we wanted.

now...reportedly Joey is available and the Tigers should go for him hard, there are no other opportunities available.

Joey is Ok ...but Ok should not cut it for any WT fan and this is the point everyone misses

Joey would be the best centre this club has had in it's short history. Hard to find a negative in that.

We aren't going to be a force without a 1 or 9 ...Yeah let's worry about a centre though

Really? Who?

Well we hadn't wasted 3 weeks waiting like lap dogs for the scraps off Latrells plate we could have done a lot of things

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

...he is not the sort of player you know will show up every week and perform well

the two centres re-signed and upgraded by the Roosters within the last 6 months? You are suggesting that we should have tried to sign either of the two remaining centres that the PREMIERS have after Mitchell left, less than six months after they were ugraded to come to the paradise that is Concord? Sound strategy.

So ok....we didnt miss out on anyone, and BJ is the best (only) opportunity available.

Mate the market has been open since November 2019 ....i could name 20 players Drinkwater
Guthrrson
LM

You still havent named a player who is/was off contract other than LM and we had a red hot go at him. Name a play who left their club for 2020 that we missed out on that we wanted.

now...reportedly Joey is available and the Tigers should go for him hard, there are no other opportunities available.

Joey is Ok ...but Ok should not cut it for any WT fan and this is the point everyone misses

Joey would be the best centre this club has had in it's short history. Hard to find a negative in that.

Youre probably right but man I would struggle to cheer Joey on. Always disliked him. In saying that, scoring a few tries will help me jump straight on the Joey train.

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103439) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Guthrrson
LM

We aren't going to be a force without a 1 or 9 ...Yeah let's worry about a centre though

If AD comes we only really have to sort the hooker role out...our backline will be ok for this year,Madge may have other plans for 2021,but for now he is trying to strengthen what we have for 2020...

@coivtny said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103409) said:
@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103403) said:
@bbobb said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103344) said:
What do you mean when you say St. Pats has a high opinion of itself?

I mean that St Pats tries to position itself as one of the fancy schools in the area, but it's just a regular Christian Bros with average sporting and academic achievements. And everyone likes beating them in any endeavour possible.

Shame they don't play League anymore; there's so much energy wasted in schoolboy rugby, that has no long term purpose within the 4th-ranked dying football code. You've got all these kids in ISA / CAS / GPS schools, the latter with their faux exclusivity and horrendous school fees, plying away at rugby to then play Shute Shield or maybe jag some pointless Super Rugby spot, until the powers close a franchise down.

Just to add to your story. In the 1960s my older brother went to St Pats but my parents sent to DLS Ashfield because my brother got expelled and they thought his reputation might make things awkward for me. We played league against Pats in the MCC competition. They were a pretty good league school on par with the other MCC heavies Lewisham, Kogarah and Randwick. Pats lefts the MCC and switched to rugby because they decided they wanted to join the GPS schools competition. They didn't make it because the GPS schools froze them out. Since then they've moved between competitions such as ISA but have never really found a home.

Yeah the difference between wanting to be with the "in crowd" and actually being with the in-crowd.

There's a whole bunch of schools like Waverley that would love to be in the GPS, and the GPS don't want anything to do with them.

I went to Lewo - used to be a league heavyweight... not any more! Demographic has changed, still strong in association football, but I don't believe the current Principal cares much for sport.

I don't know how DLS Ashfield is going to fair in the MCC in the future when you merge with Bethlehem. It was already hard for St Leo's to find a competitive outlet for their girls.

And to @Tiger5150's point, yes networking at these schools is a thing, but also, if you are rich you are going to be able to network with rich folks no matter where you went to school. And if you are a complete moron, all the money in the world isn't going to help you be smart.

15 and 16 year olds don't even really understand networking in the adult context, and most of the kids at these schools know hard work if it punched them in the face.

What the NRL should do is invest in and organise ranked school competitions, create their own GPS-type competition. You could possibly have promotion and relegation as school fortunes ebb and flow, because frankly no regular-Joe school is going to compete with schools that have a dedicated sports program.

And it's hard to foster a long-term rivalry against Commonwealth Bank Cup schools, because you don't meet the same schools on a regular basis.

As a Lewo boy, still hate Marcellin Randwick!

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103436) said:
@mike said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103422) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103237) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103234) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103232) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103215) said:
@TillLindemann said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103203) said:
This is the last time I get my hopes up from a rumoured signing. If Doueihi isn't signed tomorrow I'll lose it.

For Doueihi?

Ill be more annoyed if signing Doueihi prevents signing BJ

Signing BJ does not address the issue of a chronic lack of pace.

Agreed but the reason we want pace is to enable line breaks/score tries. BJ clearly addresses the issue of breaking the line/scoring tries.

Particularly if our pack improves as we hope. Sometimes to me when we are in the oppositions 20 is when we look least likely to score. IMO BJ will certainly help there.

We can break the line ok, but it is worthless because Nofoaluma and Jennings do not have the pace to finish. If we don't sign pacey players this off season, our recruitment has been a disaster.

Disagree. I think our recruitment so far has been astute. No panic buying and making sure those that have been recruited want to be here. I think they have done an outstanding job so far. We still have money and places that can be filled and the season hasn’t started yet.

Our issue is lack of pace in the backline. Our purchases have done nothing to address this issue. Have two big and fast wingers emerged in the lower grades to replace Nofoaluma and Jennings? If so, great. If not, our season is going to be long. Top teams have fast backlines.

Yeah, that one is interesting. JP came out and stated we were looking for pace. But none of the floated signings really address that. I've never really focused on Doueihi in a game, but I haven't heard anyone mention pace in relation to his name.

I would be happy with the signings of the 3 we've mentioned. Doueihi, BJ and Stefano, but we really need to find that paceman for 2021. Jennings will be off-contract then, so we could potentially have a wing spot for the taking in competition with Corey.

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Guthrrson
LM

**Joey would be the best centre this club has had in it's short history. Hard to find a negative in that.**

^He strengthens the position. Pro's definitely outweigh the con's for this one

Hi guys
I did get told by a board member that AD was going to be announced today, apologies as i dont think it will be happening given its now 1pm.
I had absolutely no mention of B J Leiluia so i am not sure if that is just media talk.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103370) said:
@Mighty_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103363) said:
@finnzo said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103345) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103326) said:
Joey can get exposed defensively ...can get very lazy defending a blind side

Just watch the winning try from the grand final last season it’s a prime example

Yeah but they probably wouldn’t have been in the GF without him. He was a big part of there success last year.

It’s easy to focus on the negatives - but BJ has far more upside than downside. He puts in every game and is streaks infront of anything we have had in the backline for a long long time.

Imagine him and Noffa 1-2 combo - will give a few team nightmares and start us off very well each set. Plenty of tries will come that side for us as well.

JL was successful at the Raiders because he had Jordan Rapana outside of him. If it is intended to buy JL, we will need to buy or promote from the lower grads a top quality finisher who is also strong defensively. Finishing means length of the field not only from 10 metres out and it does not include being pulled down form behind when in the clear.

LOL - Geez so lets not sign BJ because we don’t have someone fast outside him.

Rapana was successful because of BJ - it goes both ways....

BJ would be a positive step in the right direction for us.

No fast winger would look at us compared to other teams because we have nothing that would create or give them space. BJ will do that a ton of time.

@Jedi_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103448) said:
Hi guys
I did get told by a board member that AD was going to be announced today, apologies as i dont think it will be happening given its now 1pm.
I had absolutely no mention of B J Leiluia so i am not sure if that is just media talk.

Still could supposedly announce a press conference for 3 or 3.30pm even as late as 2.00pm, would then maybe get it as a headline on the 5 o’clock news. If not then business as usual for us

Even though we are discussing speed in our backline and who would provide it,I cant help but ask who is going to distribute the ball form dummy half in a fast and precise manner....it starts from there and flows along the backline,we know what happens when we get slow ball from dummy half..

does anyone have an update on Liddle and do we think JR pending will be DH or Mbye.?

@Aesopian said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103447) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Guthrrson
LM

**Joey would be the best centre this club has had in it's short history. Hard to find a negative in that.**

I’m not completely sure, but I thought WT knocked BJ back when he was sacked by the Roosters.
Due to the no DH policy.

@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103450) said:
Hi guys

Still could supposedly announce a press conference for 3 or 3.30pm even as late as 2.00pm, would then maybe get it as a headline on the 5 o’clock news. If not then business as usual for us

I doubt either of those 2 warrant a press conference

Hi guys

Don’t apologise, you won’t be the first poster to announce something that doesn’t materlise

@TrueTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103451) said:
Even though we are discussing speed in our backline and who would provide it,I cant help but ask who is going to distribute the ball form dummy half in a fast and precise manner....it starts from there and flows along the backline,we know what happens when we get slow ball from dummy half..

does anyone have an update on Liddle and do we think JR pending will be DH or Mbye.?

Ziggy you make too much sense.

@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103455) said:

Ziggy you make too much sense.

thanks mate...it beats arguing just for the sake of it...

It actually starts before that. No dummy half is going to provide fast precise ball if our forwards are being pushed back or dominated in the ruck. That is where the answer to our resurgence will start.

Of course a good 9 is important but its a team game and they need to fix each part as an opportunity arises to improve the squad.

@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103452) said:
@Aesopian said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103447) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Guthrrson
LM

I’m not completely sure, but I thought WT knocked BJ back when he was sacked by the Roosters.
Due to the no DH policy.

They must've scrapped the no DH policy because somehow JT, Cleary & Matterson were employed by the club.

Raiders fans have got nothing but good things to say about Joey. Most seem sad to see his potential exit

@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103403) said:
@bbobb said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103344) said:
What do you mean when you say St. Pats has a high opinion of itself?

I mean that St Pats tries to position itself as one of the fancy schools in the area, but it's just a regular Christian Bros with average sporting and academic achievements. And everyone likes beating them in any endeavour possible.

Shame they don't play League anymore; there's so much energy wasted in schoolboy rugby, that has no long term purpose within the 4th-ranked dying football code. You've got all these kids in ISA / CAS / GPS schools, the latter with their faux exclusivity and horrendous school fees, plying away at rugby to then play Shute Shield or maybe jag some pointless Super Rugby spot, until the powers close a franchise down.

Seriously dude your rant on Rugby is totally uncalled for

I can guarantee you West Harbour has only 1 GPS player in its club at present, an 18yr old Trinity player. You will find that this common with a number of other clubs in the Shute shield as well.

There is nothing exclusive about the Pirates but what they do better than any, is love the club, something money hungry NRL players certainly don't. The team spirit shown in the club, that is not highly successful, is amazing.

If you want to rant about anything, rant about how the AFL is decimating not only Rugby but the NRL as well. Shute Shield Rugby still has ability to find players of all backgrounds and give them an equal opportunity to play at a level that suits them in Europe, Asia, Americas and Africa. I don't see that happening in league or AFL.

Hi guys

Thanks for the heads up Jedi. Appreciate the news either way.

Back