Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@twentyforty said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103468) said:
@Jedi_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103448) said:
Hi guys
I did get told by a board member that AD was going to be announced today, apologies as i dont think it will be happening given its now 1pm.
I had absolutely no mention of B J Leiluia so i am not sure if that is just media talk.

Thanks for the heads up Jedi. Appreciate the news either way.

Hopefully the club will make an announcement today so as many can be assured that they are coming...me included,,

@wokesmoke said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103453) said:
@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103450) said:
Hi guys
I did get told by a board member that AD was going to be announced today, apologies as i dont think it will be happening given its now 1pm.
I had absolutely no mention of B J Leiluia so i am not sure if that is just media talk.

Still could supposedly announce a press conference for 3 or 3.30pm even as late as 2.00pm, would then maybe get it as a headline on the 5 o’clock news. If not then business as usual for us

I doubt either of those 2 warrant a press conference

Probably right, but I thought if they had 2 signings they might rather than do a press release.
Maybe they are waitIng to get both deals done before announcing, who knows

@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103477) said:
@wokesmoke said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103453) said:
@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103450) said:
Hi guys

Still could supposedly announce a press conference for 3 or 3.30pm even as late as 2.00pm, would then maybe get it as a headline on the 5 o’clock news. If not then business as usual for us

I doubt either of those 2 warrant a press conference

Probably right, but I thought if they had 2 signings they might rather than do a press release.
Maybe they are waitIng to get both deals done before announcing, who knows

I thought the players current club has to announce their release first.

@Lidcombe_Magpie1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103466) said:
@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103403) said:
@bbobb said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103344) said:
What do you mean when you say St. Pats has a high opinion of itself?

I mean that St Pats tries to position itself as one of the fancy schools in the area, but it's just a regular Christian Bros with average sporting and academic achievements. And everyone likes beating them in any endeavour possible.

Shame they don't play League anymore; there's so much energy wasted in schoolboy rugby, that has no long term purpose within the 4th-ranked dying football code. You've got all these kids in ISA / CAS / GPS schools, the latter with their faux exclusivity and horrendous school fees, plying away at rugby to then play Shute Shield or maybe jag some pointless Super Rugby spot, until the powers close a franchise down.

Seriously dude your rant on Rugby is totally uncalled for

I can guarantee you West Harbour has only 1 GPS player in its club at present, an 18yr old Trinity player. You will find that this common with a number of other clubs in the Shute shield as well.

There is nothing exclusive about the Pirates but what they do better than any, is love the club, something money hungry NRL players certainly don't. The team spirit shown in the club, that is not highly successful, is amazing.

If you want to rant about anything, rant about how the AFL is decimating not only Rugby but the NRL as well. Shute Shield Rugby still has ability to find players of all backgrounds and give them an equal opportunity to play at a level that suits them in Europe, Asia, Americas and Africa. I don't see that happening in league or AFL.

It’s hard to gauge though . Because RL tends to attract the elite NSW and QLD athletes when they turn 13+ , with the obvious career pathway being a big lure. Soccer have been trying to rectify this for years , and so have RU . RL Juniors are always going to be poor due to parents being very nervous about the obvious health risks , as well as the physicality. When the kids get older , they have more of a voice.
AFL are amazing at engaging the mums . That’s where they are leaps and bounds ahead .

I mean that St Pats tries to position itself as one of the fancy schools in the area, but it's just a regular Christian Bros with average sporting and academic achievements. And everyone likes beating them in any endeavour possible.

Shame they don't play League anymore; there's so much energy wasted in schoolboy rugby, that has no long term purpose within the 4th-ranked dying football code. You've got all these kids in ISA / CAS / GPS schools, the latter with their faux exclusivity and horrendous school fees, plying away at rugby to then play Shute Shield or maybe jag some pointless Super Rugby spot, until the powers close a franchise down.

Rugby is miles bigger than league on a world scale i’m afraid. The rate the NRL is going at the moment league will be dead well before Rugby

Mate there is only 1 rugby code worth talking about and that's League. Union's been fighting a losing battle in this country ever since they decided to cling onto their amateur origins by refusing to pay players, provide insurance or assist them whilst they also worked FT jobs.

After many many decades, Union eventually realised that professionalism was the way to go. In many respects, they are decades behind League in innovation, player support and crowd engagement.

And since Rugby League has sprung into existence, Union has intentionally and systematically tried to use its influence and deeper foundation history to suppress League. This runs everything from the gamut of head-hunting League players, to extermination of the game in Vichy France.

You are correct that AFL will do everything it can to grind League out of existence, but fundamentally AFL and League do not compete in the same space - different core states, school systems, player body shapes, international game etc.

League and Union are active competitors and I have no interest in supporting or upholding Union. I am sure that there are very very many genuine, decent and hardworking people playing low-tier union all over the country, and I hold nothing against them, only to politely suggest they consider League as a superior alternative.

But at the other end of the spectrum, Union typically remains an upper-class caste-protecting mechanism, desperately clung to by the gentry. There are indeed regular folks plying their trade, but all the influence and decision making in Union is entrenched in elitism. This is especially true in countries like Scotland, England, France and South Africa.

Maybe someone could start a Rugger thread and give the rest of us not interested a break.

And we can keep this for signings and rumours please.

@TrueTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103458) said:
@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103455) said:
@TrueTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103451) said:
Even though we are discussing speed in our backline and who would provide it,I cant help but ask who is going to distribute the ball form dummy half in a fast and precise manner....it starts from there and flows along the backline,we know what happens when we get slow ball from dummy half..

does anyone have an update on Liddle and do we think JR pending will be DH or Mbye.?

Ziggy you make too much sense.

thanks mate...it beats arguing just for the sake of it...

I guess that the club is going to once again hedge their bets that once Liddle is fit he'll be right. Simpkin will be in the lower grades plying his trade, hopefully he is the real deal.

@Tiger_2795 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103489) said:

Rugby is miles bigger than league on a world scale i’m afraid. The rate the NRL is going at the moment league will be dead well before Rugby

Union's international presence is overrated. It's still the same few countries who are guaranteed to win the world cup.

And with Toronto and soon Ottawa and New York, league in North America is looking promising. Good signs in Europe too. Toulouse will join Catalans before long, and Red Star Belgrade wants to join Super League.

@Tiger_Steve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103408) said:
Anyone got a time for today’s press conference to announce Douehi’s signing? Or is it in 48 hours?

There is 52 Monday's in a year mate

@Tiger_2795 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103489) said:

Is that actually borne out in the data though? Global and domestic rugby vs global and domestic league? They are lightyears apart in Australia and I am not sure that the IRB would run to the rescue if Rugby Australia went belly-up.

@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103490) said:

Mate there is only 1 rugby code worth talking about and that's League. Union's been fighting a losing battle in this country ever since they decided to cling onto their amateur origins by refusing to pay players, provide insurance or assist them whilst they also worked FT jobs.

After many many decades, Union eventually realised that professionalism was the way to go. In many respects, they are decades behind League in innovation, player support and crowd engagement.

And since Rugby League has sprung into existence, Union has intentionally and systematically tried to use its influence and deeper foundation history to suppress League. This runs everything from the gamut of head-hunting League players, to extermination of the game in Vichy France.

You are correct that AFL will do everything it can to grind League out of existence, but fundamentally AFL and League do not compete in the same space - different core states, school systems, player body shapes, international game etc.

League and Union are active competitors and I have no interest in supporting or upholding Union. I am sure that there are very very many genuine, decent and hardworking people playing low-tier union all over the country, and I hold nothing against them, only to politely suggest they consider League as a superior alternative.

But at the other end of the spectrum, Union typically remains an upper-class caste-protecting mechanism, desperately clung to by the gentry. There are indeed regular folks plying their trade, but all the influence and decision making in Union is entrenched in elitism. This is especially true in countries like Scotland, England, France and South Africa.

Jirskyr I invite you to come to a training session with the Pirates to see the make up of the club, only then are you able to make such a judgement call.

Also, I believe there has been a number of high profile NRL players seconded to AFL, Hunt and Folau come to mind. I think you will agree that there has been significant movement, player wise, both ways between League and Union.

Having played both League and Union at rep schoolboy levels and I can appreciate the love of both codes to this day.

BTW I went to a very poor public school (Birrong Boys High)

So come on down to a training session, we can always use another person to help out with the teams and you will be warmly welcomed

@Lidcombe_Magpie1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103499) said:
So come on down to a training session, we can always use another person to help out with the teams and you will be warmly welcomed

No thanks, as I told you, I have no interest in Rugby Union. League is all I have time for.

@Mighty_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103449) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103370) said:
@Mighty_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103363) said:
@finnzo said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103345) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103326) said:
Joey can get exposed defensively ...can get very lazy defending a blind side

Just watch the winning try from the grand final last season it’s a prime example

Yeah but they probably wouldn’t have been in the GF without him. He was a big part of there success last year.

It’s easy to focus on the negatives - but BJ has far more upside than downside. He puts in every game and is streaks infront of anything we have had in the backline for a long long time.

Imagine him and Noffa 1-2 combo - will give a few team nightmares and start us off very well each set. Plenty of tries will come that side for us as well.

JL was successful at the Raiders because he had Jordan Rapana outside of him. If it is intended to buy JL, we will need to buy or promote from the lower grads a top quality finisher who is also strong defensively. Finishing means length of the field not only from 10 metres out and it does not include being pulled down form behind when in the clear.

LOL - Geez so lets not sign BJ because we don’t have someone fast outside him.

Rapana was successful because of BJ - it goes both ways....

BJ would be a positive step in the right direction for us.

**No fast winger would look at us compared to other teams because we have nothing that would create or give them space. BJ will do that a ton of time.**

Brooks, Marshall and LL? Nah those three aren't creative at all :)

I don't like the song on this film but I love the shot when Larry streaks away from the Souths defence. Souths aren't the only club with strong indigenous links -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaQC7kc3W0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgrSs-oLV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSK71boqh_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOTW0QNCqIo

So much for JAC declaring when he left the Tigers that he wanted to return one day. If Souths don't get Arrow then their forward depth is very thin (even with him hard to make up for losing the 2 Burgess boys & Sutton, not to mention back ups in Britt & Turner), no use having a great backline with no go forward particularly if they get a few injuries to their starting pack!!

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103504) said:
Mole (yes I know) reporting JAC to the Rabbitohs. They'll have a handy backline next year, shame about their forwards.

We must be freeing up some considerable cap space for them possibly more than just Douehi (if he comes)

Mole (yes I know) reporting JAC to the Rabbitohs. They'll have a handy backline next year, shame about their forwards.

Looks like Rose is getting all his potential and current clients to Souths.

@WT2K said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103509) said:

Looks like Rose is getting all his potential and current clients to Souths.

Yeah it sure looks that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Back