Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@tiger913 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505898) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505895) said:
@tiger913 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505894) said:
Any updates on Papali'i after sitting with the eels again ?

Nothing else yet but according to @THE_POM our offer is still better than what Eels are offering him so its just wait and see probably will hear something in 2 weeks if not less

I just get flashbacks of him destroying us on the edges every time we plays the eels ! hopefully we can get him across the line.

Well the more players Eels resign the more they lose too they have resigned RCG and Mahoney too apparently I imagine they’ll keep Gutherson and he’ll probably be the highest paid player out of all of them they still have Matterson, Paulo and more to try and keep so hopefully we can snare Papali”I he could be the signing that would attract more for 2023

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505796) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505794) said:
@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505793) said:
Simpkin doesn’t look like a threat with the ball.

Simpkin is 19

So was Farah once. Some players at that age have it. Some don’t, and that’s fine if he needs time, but he’s showed nothing so far to warrant going all in on him and abandoning Liddle.

Liddle will be the new brooks. We will still be wondering in 5 years time if he has it. I would much rather try my luck with simpkins then have 5 years of liddle that will get us nowhere.

All this speculation about Liddle/Simpkins is complete BS if we get Hodgson on a two year deal that would probably take him out to retirement how many other young guys are in the system awaiting there chance two years is a long time in NRL terms

@tigerpower said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505902) said:

Simpkin is 19

So was Farah once. Some players at that age have it. Some don’t, and that’s fine if he needs time, but he’s showed nothing so far to warrant going all in on him and abandoning Liddle.

Liddle will be the new brooks. We will still be wondering in 5 years time if he has it. I would much rather try my luck with simpkins then have 5 years of liddle that will get us nowhere.

I would very much rather try my luck with Api Korosau and do a player swap with Penrith.

We can then have Simpkin learn from a player who knows what they are doing and has quality skills to impart.

I dont know how we develop players at the moment. I dont see us developing Liddle and yes another "waiting for big moment" player.

The Knights have officially released Pearce from the final year of his contract;
And it looks like the Eels have offered Gutho, Paulo and Mahoney less than what they/their manager is asking for...interest from other clubs is out there - not sure if we're one of them.

Liddle is a very good player. He always has been and always will be. His recovery from serious injury has been excellent. If Hodgson is coming, the two working together will make us a stronger unit with Simpkin continuing to learn his trade in KOE. The young hooker in U21s a very good player as well.

@willow said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505908) said:
The Knights have officially released Pearce from the final year of his contract;
And it looks like the Eels have offered Gutho, Paulo and Mahoney less than what they/their manager is asking for...interest from other clubs is out there - not sure if we're one of them.

Paulo
Hodgson
Stefano

Strong front row right there...

@roar_power said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505913) said:
@willow said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505908) said:

Paulo
Hodgson
Stefano

Strong front row right there...

Sure is. Pity it won’t be playing together with us

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505859) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505798) said:
@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505693) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505682) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505680) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505678) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505669) said:
@bradexl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505665) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

Correct, seemingly it was justified

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle has no kicking game either which is really important from 9 these days

Neither does Simpkin and he is a pathetic defender and a ball hog.

We get it. You're Liddle's mum.

Just sticking up for the underdog.

You would think Simpkin is Cameron Smith reincarnated the way some people talk on here.

I don't care if he is 19, 9 or 29 in the NRL at THIS STAGE he has shown me NOTHING!

100% correct

Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

The team's best performance all year was against Souths with Simpkin playing. Not a coincidence

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505859) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505798) said:
@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505693) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505682) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505680) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505678) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505669) said:

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

Correct, seemingly it was justified

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle has no kicking game either which is really important from 9 these days

Neither does Simpkin and he is a pathetic defender and a ball hog.

We get it. You're Liddle's mum.

Just sticking up for the underdog.

You would think Simpkin is Cameron Smith reincarnated the way some people talk on here.

I don't care if he is 19, 9 or 29 in the NRL at THIS STAGE he has shown me NOTHING!

Unfortunately for the Wests Tigers. Liddle hasn't shown anymore than Simpkin despite many many more opportunities

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505842) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505802) said:

Each individual is different, you keep comparing everyone to farah as if its some discrete determining factor. Some individuals need more exposure time. Is your wonderful judgement telling you that liddle with 60 odd games in 5 years is worth persisting with?

Yes it is

What in Liddle's game is worth persisting with? His inability to pass to park football standard? His weakness in defence or his lack of stamina?

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505809) said:
@chicken_faced_killa said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505788) said:
@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505786) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505685) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public
hard cap on TPAs (eg $2m)
better system of cap relief for juniors/veterans

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

Ok, unlimited TPA but a tax on clubs that exceed a certain amount.

What does what a player can earn individually have to do with the club. You’d only push good players out of the game

To where? Rugby? It’s not 2003

Name another profession outside of a communist country where there is a cap on how much an individual can earn independent of his employer and regardless of his market value. Its a restraint of trade and is illegal.

@tigerpower said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505902) said:

Simpkin is 19

The way the clueless fanbase is going, We'll be watching them kill it for a good team....

Gee Liddle is coping a real hiding on here...Wasn't long ago he was being hailed by the forum members as the next big #9....Granted he has shortcomings ton his game like no kicking game and can't push out a consistent 80min, but he is on par of better than many other hookers going around...i.e. Marshall-King

@tigerap said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505946) said:
Gee Liddle is coping a real hiding on here...Wasn't long ago he was being hailed by the forum members as the next big #9....Granted he has shortcomings ton his game like no kicking game and can't push out a consistent 80min, but he is on par of better than many other hookers going around...i.e. Marshall-King

He has flaws in his game but he has upside. At this point he is better than Simpkin. He is also too good for reserve grade.

His flaws hurt though team at times though and if we can grab a quality hooker it would really help us.

@crazycat said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505907) said:
I would very much rather try my luck with Api Korosau and do a player swap with Penrith.

At the moment Koroisau won't get vaccinated and is therefore basically unsignable.

@ultimate-warrior said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505795) said:

Simpkin is 19

Age is irrelevant if you’re playing first grade and are on good coin.

Age shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

If your good enough, you’re old enough.

Liddle has played 56 games in 6 years
Simpkin has played 9 games in 2021
Simpkin has upside Liddle is exposed and has passing deficiencies a back up hooker at best.
Hope we get Hodgo and play Simpkin off the Ben h move Hodgo to lock
Send Liddle packing to Belmore

@tigerap said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505946) said:

marshall king is not the standard hooker you want, hes not even average, hes a make shift hooker.

We have to remember we've also got Ngati, Anjoul and even Tannous who could all be hookers of the future. They've still got to prove themselves in the lower grades but all have starred when they've been on the field to date.
Because of this young depth i think the club would be willing to lose someone like Liddle IF we can get a swap with someone we value coming in return.

Latest posts

Members online

Back