@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505798) said:
@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505693) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505682) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505680) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505678) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505669) said:
@bradexl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505665) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

Correct, seemingly it was justified

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle has no kicking game either which is really important from 9 these days

Neither does Simpkin and he is a pathetic defender and a ball hog.

We get it. You're Liddle's mum.

Just sticking up for the underdog.

You would think Simpkin is Cameron Smith reincarnated the way some people talk on here.

I don't care if he is 19, 9 or 29 in the NRL at THIS STAGE he has shown me NOTHING!

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505859) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

You would think Simpkin is Cameron Smith reincarnated the way some people talk on here.

I don't care if he is 19, 9 or 29 in the NRL at THIS STAGE he has shown me NOTHING!

Absolutely trashing a 19 year old kid who has played 9 NRL games because he's in competition with your favourite player is shameful.

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505801) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505800) said:
@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505793) said:
Simpkin doesn’t look like a threat with the ball.

You realise he was scoring a try a game at once point in NSW cup, right? Was even the comps leading try scorer for the first month or two. All that when he's still eligible for Flegg for both 2021+22.

Every try I’ve seen him score has been a barge over from dummy half. Look. I’m not writing him off, he very well could develop into something great, I look forward to seeing him develop. But as I said in my last post, he hasn’t burst into first grade and reeked havoc. He’s shown himself to be very meat and potatoes so far. Nothing worth throwing the towel in on Liddle. If it were up to me, I’d have all 3 on the books. Because if we get Hodgson and punt Liddle, and Hodgson goes down, then what? It’s all on Simpkin, and that wouldn’t be good for him.

I agree. Best to keep all three. It worked for the Storm for years they stockpiled Cam Smith, Cheese and Harry

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505860) said:

Absolutely trashing a 19 year old kid who has played 9 NRL games because he's in competition with your favourite player is shameful.

How many have been trashing a 24 year old with just over 50 games and returning after a major knee injury, on here all season and are still doing it?

I think that is shameful and you have been doing it too! Shame!, Shame!

By the way, just so you get your facts correct - Liddle is not my favorite player.

@Russell the kids only just turned 20 so he was 19 the whole of this season and I think he’ll only get better not everyone makes an impact straight away in the NRL but I have to agree with @avocadoontoast on this that you bashing a kid is pretty disrespectful Liddle has been here for a while yet has he shown us something? He can run but that’s about it he can’t pass from dummy half most games

Why do we have to choose one over the other. It seems like when someone picks a side, their views become more extreme. While they’re on the team let’s enjoy the fact that we’ve got two hookers battling it out to play and therefore make our side better.

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505863) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505860) said:

How many have been trashing a 24 year old with just over 50 games and returning after a major knee injury, on here all season and are still doing it?

I think that is shameful and you have been doing it too! Shame!, Shame!

No, people have been criticising aspects of Liddle's game after having a full season (including a full preseason) to prove himself. His service from dummy half isn't good enough.

Contrast that to Simpkin who is 19 and played 9 NRL games without the benefit of a reserve grade competition.

@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505776) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505768) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505760) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505719) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505714) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505707) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505689) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505685) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public
hard cap on TPAs (eg $2m)
better system of cap relief for juniors/veterans

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

I don't believe in restricting TPAs

Why? The salary cap wouldn't mean a thing if you didn't restrict TPAs.

Because I don't believe in limiting what players can earn away from the game.

So you want it to be like the EPL where the richest clubs will always dominate the competition? I believe in an even playing field.

You realise that genuine TPA's are unrestricted now dont you?

I believe in a free society where authority doesnt own you like chattel slaves.

In society . Of course! Who doesn’t agree with that? But you’re talking about a form of entertainment and business where the whole thing is predicated on a belief system that 2 sides enter into a competition where as , at the very least , both have an equal chance of winning that competition. It’s literally the reason the business makes any money to begin with. And unlike , say the premier league/ English football,there is only 1 competition . There’s not the 3 cups plus 2 European completions as well .
Otherwise what are we doing ? We might as well watch WWE, if we want fixed outcomes !
But we don’t want fixed outcomes .
If the roosters/storm ,truely are that much better than the rest of the league, then fixed monetary outcomes like hard caps , luxury taxes , transparency in salaries , shouldn’t be an issue . The Patriots have dominated the NFL for a long time . And good teams like the packers , Steelers , ravens are always there or there abouts.
This is the same in the NBA with teams like The Spurs and heat etc. they’re always near the top of the league . (Spurs for the first time since 99 have a team that can’t make the finals) .
The cream will always rise to the top .
But the nrl has no parity what do ever . And the salary cap and it’s illusion that it provides that is a joke .
If the EPL is the goal , then scrap the cap. My interest will definitely fall off a cliff . Or at least it will force clubs like ours to understand our true operating budget pales in comparison .
MLB is fine with “moneyball” and this disparity.
If the NRL continues this way then they will lose the public, as we don’t have the same fan culture that the English do .

So your fix is to prevent players earning extra income?

No not at all . I’m saying their salaries should be transparent . Endorsements / sponsorships etc is 100% their prerogative. They should own thier image rights and be able to capitalise on that .

Stop calling it TPAs and let the market place dictate their income . But if any team is caught arranging TPAs or anything like that the fines should be severe / competition points .
If you go to the roosters , and uncle nick introduces you to the chick who runs boost juice , and she wants to give you 250k to do a few ads , well whatever . You can’t stop people talking .
But if for example Brydens lawyers , who are our sponsors , organises a free car through parramatta Toyota , for a player , and thier contract is registered 100k under its true value . Then that should be illegal. And I know it is already , but the penalties need to be severe . Like get a wooden spoon severe .

If the roosters have an extra 5 mil to spend on players , that’s fine as well . For every dollar over the 10 mil there is a 50% luxury tax , up to say 15mil hard cap . So in essence they have to pay 10mil for 5mul for f talent .

That money is then divided back into the clubs who are under the soft cap of 10 mil . If there’s 5 teams at 15 mil , then there’s 25 mil to divide through the other 12 teams .
It stops the whole “why should we be penalised for being better “ arguement , and allows weaker teams to use that money to prop thier team up , through salaries, junior development , coaches , whatever . And if they / us / we still suck at that point , there’s no where to hide . And it’s all transparent .
The players really only are revealing thier playing salary , so it’s not a huge privacy invasion , and stops all the crap .

@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505769) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505768) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505760) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505719) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505714) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505707) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505689) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505685) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public
hard cap on TPAs (eg $2m)
better system of cap relief for juniors/veterans

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

I don't believe in restricting TPAs

Why? The salary cap wouldn't mean a thing if you didn't restrict TPAs.

Because I don't believe in limiting what players can earn away from the game.

So you want it to be like the EPL where the richest clubs will always dominate the competition? I believe in an even playing field.

You realise that genuine TPA's are unrestricted now dont you?

I believe in a free society where authority doesnt own you like chattel slaves.

In society . Of course! Who doesn’t agree with that? But you’re talking about a form of entertainment and business where the whole thing is predicated on a belief system that 2 sides enter into a competition where as , at the very least , both have an equal chance of winning that competition. It’s literally the reason the business makes any money to begin with. And unlike , say the premier league/ English football,there is only 1 competition . There’s not the 3 cups plus 2 European completions as well .
Otherwise what are we doing ? We might as well watch WWE, if we want fixed outcomes !
But we don’t want fixed outcomes .
If the roosters/storm ,truely are that much better than the rest of the league, then fixed monetary outcomes like hard caps , luxury taxes , transparency in salaries , shouldn’t be an issue . The Patriots have dominated the NFL for a long time . And good teams like the packers , Steelers , ravens are always there or there abouts.
This is the same in the NBA with teams like The Spurs and heat etc. they’re always near the top of the league . (Spurs for the first time since 99 have a team that can’t make the finals) .
The cream will always rise to the top .
But the nrl has no parity what do ever . And the salary cap and it’s illusion that it provides that is a joke .
If the EPL is the goal , then scrap the cap. My interest will definitely fall off a cliff . Or at least it will force clubs like ours to understand our true operating budget pales in comparison .
MLB is fine with “moneyball” and this disparity.
If the NRL continues this way then they will lose the public, as we don’t have the same fan culture that the English do .

If James Tedesco can earn $$ from a contract with a company completely unrelated to the Roosters, in which Roosters do not benefit, say Coke for example......why should he not be able to earn that money.

Genuine TPA's are totally unrestricted right now as they should be.

? agree . The issue is the fact most TPAs arnt genuine . And they’re systematic loopholes , that should be closed with severe penalties .
I think salaries should be transparent . You don’t have to attach names , but the values should be . And yea I know it would be easy to figure it out .
Your image is your image . You should be able to profit off it . And I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t . More saying this TPA system should go away , and make it a proper market place , with severe penalties that are way harsher than now.
Basically give the teams enough rope to hang themselves .

Right, this is a Signing Suggestions and Rumours thread. In the last 10 pages or so there has been a lot of discussion about non-signing topics, mostly relating to TPAs and the best way to make a fair competition. The Liddle/Simpkins talk has came up a bit, but I think that relates to whether we sign Hodgson so mostly fair enough on that one.

But STOP posting comments in here about non-signings. People come to this thread in hope that we have signed someone (or even that we may sign someone) - when there's ten pages here a reader gets their hope up and then when they find no new news it's a kick in the teeth.

A few posters have tried to get this back on track, to them I say thank you.
To @cochise, @jirskyr, @tigerballs, @Strongee and plenty of others - I ask you to please move it to another thread.

Or do we want to just do away with topics and have it all as a free-for-all?

@tony-soprano said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505851) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505850) said:
@terry-t-nuts said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505835) said:
Simpkins looks far more dangerous than Liddle in the limited time he has had in first grade. Liddle is cooked and his distribution and defense is ordinary, sorry to shatter some dreams.

Liddle is recovering from a very serious knee injury. We will see the best from him next season.

In theory then it's a big ask for him to turn it around and be the 9 we need.

Having an interchange option is important.

@426tlgerland said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505854) said:
Thoughts on Bulldogs forward Ogden , could be a cheap back up after his mishap , no different to others who have been caught out with the powder lately

Madge did say he wanted another Prop in an interview he did not too long ago he could be looked at I can’t think of any other Props that are available for 2022 so unless we can sign one that’s on the outer of another club Ogden could get possibly looked at and we could probably get him cheap too after his charge

@tigerlouis said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505807) said:
If we can release Liddle then we would have 4 spots available & I would sign Josh Hodgson, Isaiah Papali’i, Dylan Walker & give James Roberts
another opportunity.
Top 30 Squad
Laurie
Nofoaluma
Walker
Douiehi
Maumalo
Brooks
Hastings
Peachey
Blore
Papali’i
Twal
Hodgson (c)
Stefano
Bench
Ofahengaue
Leilua
Mikaele
Musgrove
Reserves
Kei
Roberts
Gildart
Hoffman
Kepaoa
Talau
Madden
Simpkins
Garner
Tuilagi
Seyfarth
Simpkin
Tamou (c)

If we do manage to sign them guys only one problem Papali”I won’t be coming until 2023 I highly doubt Parra will release him early we could sign Walker and Hodgson for 2022 and possibly give Roberts one more chance but whether we release Liddle I don’t know just have to wait and see

Liddle's service and positional play at hooker this year were beyond woeful at times. For a bloke who has been in the squad as a hooker for 6 years, considering neither of these two pieces of a hooker's game would be tremendously affected by a knee injury that he's been cleared to return from, that's the worrying bit.

He has had 5 years over Simpkin to improve those areas and they were almost embarrassing on several occasions.

...... And I like Lids.

This is not a charity organization, unfortunately Liddle is not up to it. No one is attacking his character just highlighting his flaws as a paid NRL player.

@jrdee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505849) said:
Crawley giving it to us again in the telegraph today saying Hastings signing makes no sense , we could sign God and win 11 premierships in a row and he would still find something to bag us about

Hold on, hold on... who is your source re signing ?

@tiger913 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505894) said:
Any updates on Papali'i after sitting with the eels again ?

Nothing else yet but according to @THE_POM our offer is still better than what Eels are offering him so its just wait and see probably will hear something in 2 weeks if not less

@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505889) said:
@jrdee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505849) said:
Crawley giving it to us again in the telegraph today saying Hastings signing makes no sense , we could sign God and win 11 premierships in a row and he would still find something to bag us about

Hold on, hold on... who is your source re signing God?

Yeah we are offering a restricted contract ...won't play Sundays because he needs to rest or Easter Weekend .....

But we need to be prepared to deal with his devil of a player manager Moses .....

@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505895) said:
@tiger913 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505894) said:
Any updates on Papali'i after sitting with the eels again ?

Nothing else yet but according to @THE_POM our offer is still better than what Eels are offering him so its just wait and see probably will hear something in 2 weeks if not less

I just get flashbacks of him destroying us on the edges every time we plays the eels ! hopefully we can get him across the line.

Staff online

Back