Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We are beginning to feel like the Penrith Tigers. If my memory serves me correctly 6 of our current squad have played for Panthers. Blore and Laurie maybe juniors only.

Laurie
Naden
Roberts
Tamou
Peachey
Blore

Could be seven if Hetherington is signed.

I would chase Burton hard as he is something special and would play him at either Full-Back or Centre.

Maybe we could offer Trent Barrett a consulting gig at WT to work on our attack and that way he could keep the ex Panthers connection and may allow us to sign more ex Panthers.

Have we signed Kade Dykes from Sharks for 2023. Note he is 18th man for the Sharks this week.

I just commented on the other thread. How can a club like WTs afford $150k albeit for a talented young player at that age. Apparently this is how the NRL want it. It's sad for the SW of Sydney because we need more young men of his quality coming through our ranks to the NRL.
Whether this is true or not, why is it sad for south-west Sydney ? It’s sad for Wests Tigers. But I love to see the kids from Magpie land kick on and play in the NRL. Teddy, Jessie, Taniela Paseka, Sean Keppie, Trent Peoples etc ... brilliant.

As long as this club continues to let the world refer to them almost singularly as, “The Tigers” and wraps itself in Leichhardt Oval mythology, why would a talented kid like Miller feel any affinity to the club. He can’t play for his local NRL club because he doesn’t really have one.
The south-west of Sydney, the Magpie junior reps, they are a feeder club for the entire NRL, not the Tigers.

This stuff will keep happening while the Wests Tigers continue to try to be all things to a number of divergent regions. Grow a pair and base the club in Campbelltown (as was agreed in the joint venture discussions 22 years ago) and things will undoubtedly change.

Good luck to Jordan.
I for one will be cheering him on whichever colours he chooses to wear.

As long as this club continues to let the world refer to them almost singularly as, “The Tigers” and wraps itself in Leichhardt Oval mythology, why would a talented kid like Miller feel any affinity to the club.

Sorry mate I'm not buying this. They leave for chances and money.

If Miller has left it's because the Dolphins offered him a massive contract for his age. They've taken a punt on him. He isn't going to knock them back because the Tigers aren't referred to more often as "Wests Tigers".

It's professional sport.

Sorry mate I'm not buying this. They leave for chances and money.

If Miller has left it's because the Dolphins offered him a massive contract for his age. They've taken a punt on him. He isn't going to knock them back because the Tigers aren't referred to more often as "Wests Tigers".

It's professional sport.

Yeah miller seems like wants to get out of Campbelltown at first chance.

Dogs fans really living it up as if all getting rid of Brent Naden is the same thing as a complete roster overhaul. Fellas, if he's the guy who's out the door on day one, no fuss, it suggests he's probably not the worst contract on your books.
Yeah it’s an interesting take.

They signed Naden at the end of last year by out bidding us. Now after 10 games he is coming to us and they are paying half his salary. I’m not sure who thinks that’s good business but I’m glad they aren’t looking after my finances 😂😂😂

As long as this club continues to let the world refer to them almost singularly as, “The Tigers” and wraps itself in Leichhardt Oval mythology, why would a talented kid like Miller feel any affinity to the club. He can’t play for his local NRL club because he doesn’t really have one.
The south-west of Sydney, the Magpie junior reps, they are a feeder club for the entire NRL, not the Tigers.

This stuff will keep happening while the Wests Tigers continue to try to be all things to a number of divergent regions. Grow a pair and base the club in Campbelltown (as was agreed in the joint venture discussions 22 years ago) and things will undoubtedly change.
I'm sorry I agree with Earl, this is a load of ancient baloney.

No offence but I am going to guess you are comfortably older than 22 years old and were a long-term Magpies supporter. I'm 42, I supported Balmain in my formative years.

Every kid in the Magpies and Balmain junior ranks knows they are in the feeder system for Wests Tigers. Not one of these kids is pinning their final hopes on being a Magpie - that is merely a stepping stone to first grade. Most of these kids are only in Magpies jerseys for a few years anyway, because prior to this they were playing for Eaglevale or Minto Cobras.

Case in point: Tedesco himself said was a fan of the Roosters because Camden Rams wear Roosters colours, even though his family supported Tigers and he's a local kid. Although Tedesco emerged via Wests Tigers pathways and gave us many good seasons of play, in hindsight we also know he manoeuvred to leave the club every time his contract was up. He wasn't a Magpie, he was a Tedesco - he's only interested in his own brand.

The idea of kids aspiring to play for their local club - I honestly think that idea is mostly dead. Geographical boundaries for clubs are not what they used to be. Maybe if the family were club supporters it adds some charm to play for their childhood club, but we also know such things are easily discarded once young kids become young men within the first grade club they first join. For example there are countless examples of people who supported Balmain as a kid who are instead deeply associated with other first-grade clubs - the Johns brothers, Ivan Cleary, Josh Addo-Carr etc. etc. There are also countless examples of Balmain stalwarts who did not grow up in the Balmain districts - Blocker Roach, Garry Jack, Olsen Filipaina, Arthur Beetson etc.

Furthermore, any kid who is a decent footballer knows they may have up to 9 potential suitors for senior contracts without having to leave Sydney, and 11 if they stay within NSW. They will take the best deals available to them.

Not one of these kids was close to being alive when Wests Magpies last played in the top tier competition.

We also have countless examples within our own club to illustrate how it is more important to develop your first-grade culture, than have unrealistic expectations that local kids are died-in-the-wool club supporters. For example Stefano and Alex Twal - Parramatta juniors. Zane Musgrove who is a Kiwi. Tamou who is also a Kiwi and came to Sydney to play in the Roosters juniors. Laurie and Blore from Penrith. Jake Simpkin is from QLD and Jacob Liddle is from Terrigal. Jackson Hastings is a Wollongong junior.

There are only a handful of legitimate all-Tigers juniors - Nofoaluma and Doueihi are the prominent ones. It must be supremely evident that whilst the local districts are very important, more important than this is to sign the best players from anywhere, and then develop a first grade culture that encourages those players to stay and contribute.

I'm sorry I agree with Earl, this is a load of ancient baloney.

No offence but I am going to guess you are comfortably older than 22 years old and were a long-term Magpies supporter. I'm 42, I supported Balmain in my formative years.

Every kid in the Magpies and Balmain junior ranks knows they are in the feeder system for Wests Tigers. Not one of these kids is pinning their final hopes on being a Magpie - that is merely a stepping stone to first grade. Most of these kids are only in Magpies jerseys for a few years anyway, because prior to this they were playing for Eaglevale or Minto Cobras.

Case in point: Tedesco himself said was a fan of the Roosters because Camden Rams wear Roosters colours, even though his family supported Tigers and he's a local kid. Although Tedesco emerged via Wests Tigers pathways and gave us many good seasons of play, in hindsight we also know he manoeuvred to leave the club every time his contract was up. He wasn't a Magpie, he was a Tedesco - he's only interested in his own brand.

The idea of kids aspiring to play for their local club - I honestly think that idea is mostly dead. Geographical boundaries for clubs are not what they used to be. Maybe if the family were club supporters it adds some charm to play for their childhood club, but we also know such things are easily discarded once young kids become young men within the first grade club they first join. For example there are countless examples of people who supported Balmain as a kid who are instead deeply associated with other first-grade clubs - the Johns brothers, Ivan Cleary, Josh Addo-Carr etc. etc. There are also countless examples of Balmain stalwarts who did not grow up in the Balmain districts - Blocker Roach, Garry Jack, Olsen Filipaina, Arthur Beetson etc.

Furthermore, any kid who is a decent footballer knows they may have up to 9 potential suitors for senior contracts without having to leave Sydney, and 11 if they stay within NSW. They will take the best deals available to them.

Not one of these kids was close to being alive when Wests Magpies last played in the top tier competition.

We also have countless examples within our own club to illustrate how it is more important to develop your first-grade culture, than have unrealistic expectations that local kids are died-in-the-wool club supporters. For example Stefano and Alex Twal - Parramatta juniors. Zane Musgrove who is a Kiwi. Tamou who is also a Kiwi and came to Sydney to play in the Roosters juniors. Laurie and Blore from Penrith. Jake Simpkin is from QLD and Jacob Liddle is from Terrigal. Jackson Hastings is a Wollongong junior.

There are only a handful of legitimate all-Tigers juniors - Nofoaluma and Doueihi are the prominent ones. It must be supremely evident that whilst the local districts are very important, more important than this is to sign the best players from anywhere, and then develop a first grade culture that encourages those players to stay and contribute.
Nofoaluma was a Wests Junior.

Good post though.

Nofoaluma was a Wests Junior.
Yeah Wests Tigers junior. That's exactly the point. Distinctions between Balmain and Magpies juniors is pointless. They are either Wests Tigers, or Wests, or Tigers juniors whatever name you choose.

Being a Magpies junior means nothing if you don't go on to play first grade for Wests Tigers, or play FG for someone else.

Whether this is true or not, why is it sad for south-west Sydney ? It’s sad for Wests Tigers. But I love to see the kids from Magpie land kick on and play in the NRL. Teddy, Jessie, Taniela Paseka, Sean Keppie, Trent Peoples etc ... brilliant.

Good luck to Jordan.
I don't want to turn this into a Tigers/Magpies thing, but most, if not all kids born after the year 2000 don't have any affinity to either Balmain or Wests.

Good luck to Jordan.
It is sad because we need more young players from the SW representing WTs. We have not engaged as well as we could with this area until recently with the new Pathways initiatives There is always room for improvement but imo the club will always represent Campbelltown/Macarthur region and the Inner-West. Let's get the COE built at Campbelltown similar to the one at Concord.

We are beginning to feel like the Penrith Tigers. If my memory serves me correctly 6 of our current squad have played for Panthers. Blore and Laurie maybe juniors only.

Laurie
Naden
Roberts
Tamou
Peachey
Blore

Could be seven if Hetherington is signed.

I would chase Burton hard as he is something special and would play him at either Full-Back or Centre.

Maybe we could offer Trent Barrett a consulting gig at WT to work on our attack and that way he could keep the ex Panthers connection and may allow us to sign more ex Panthers.

Have we signed Kade Dykes from Sharks for 2023. Note he is 18th man for the Sharks this week.

Only Laurie and Blore came through there....
All the other mentioned have been in 3-4 other club systems.

Naden on his 5th.

I reckon Hethrington will head back to Canberra. He was pictured on raiders social media at the raiders 40 yr anniversary dinner last week and his dad was inducted into their hall of fame. I could never figure out why he wasn't at the raiders in the first place

Because he grew up in Newcastle probably...
Long way between Newy and Canberra and it ain't all just the miles

I reckon Hethrington will head back to Canberra. He was pictured on raiders social media at the raiders 40 yr anniversary dinner last week and his dad was inducted into their hall of fame. I could never figure out why he wasn't at the raiders in the first place
Hetherington to Raiders, Tapine to Tigers ... make it happen Madge/Sheens/Mcdonnell.

Wonder if Hetherington could be moulded into an edge backrower, apparently quite quick over a short distance seems to have the body type for it on the bigger end of the scale. Could be interesting to see if we are actually interested at all. His discipline is a concern same could be said about Mitch Barrnett but he wasnt short of suiters.

Members online

Back