Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Wests Tigers are considering making a massive play for Sydney Roosters and NSW State of Origin forward Angus Crichton.

The Daily Telegraph understands Crichton and Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire have a close friendship from their days together at South Sydney.

Off contract after this year, Crichton has agreed to a two-year extension at the Sydney Roosters but the contract hasn’t yet been signed or registered with the NRL.

Wests Tigers have spoken internally about approaching Crichton, although no offer has yet been lodged. Other cashed-up NRL clubs are also interested in Crichton.

Should he sign at Concord, Crichton would join Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i in a dynamic Wests Tigers’ back-row with Penrith’s Api Koroisau at dummy half.

It is anticipated Crichton could attract a three-year deal worth between $2.1 million and $2.4 million.

There appears little doubt Wests Tigers will pursue Crichton with vigour, although sources close to the club are denying any formal contact has yet been made.

The Tigers are in desperate need of some heavy-hitting forwards after losing Kelma Tuilagi to Manly, Luke Garner to Penrith and Luciano Leilua to North Queensland for 2023.

Wests Tigers have the money to go after Crichton, who has represented NSW over the past four State of Origin series. The club privately fears being out-bid by rivals for Crichton.

Maguire has a history with Crichton, luring him back from rugby union to Souths in late 2014 and then giving the star forward his NRL debut in 2016.

The Tigers coach also has a strong bond with the Crichton family.

There was a suggestion the Roosters offer involved a chunky pay cut to free up some salary cap cash to sign Storm star Brandon Smith.

Crichton, 26, has endured a largely inconsistent season but there are few more damaging edge forwards in rugby league when he’s firing.

Wests Tigers are privately saying they need to be chasing players of Crichton’s ability and big-match experience.

One former NRL coach said: “Angus would be just the player a club like Wests Tigers need. They need a player of his calibre — that’s the next step for Wests Tigers.

“The club has plenty of rising young players coming through but, for them to step up to the next level, they need players that have played at the highest level, players that have played rep footy. Imagine a Wests Tigers back-row of Crichton and Papali’i.”

Crichton has been linked to a return to rugby union – the code he played when a student at Scots College, Sydney. He is a former Australian Schoolboy rugby union player.

Speaking recently with The Sunday Telegraph, Crichton’s manager David Rawlings was coy about his client’s future, only saying: “We don’t do business and play it out in the media.”

Crichton will play a key role for the Roosters on Saturday night’s big match against Penrith at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Well, somebody reads our forum.

Wests Tigers are considering making a massive play for Sydney Roosters and NSW State of Origin forward Angus Crichton.

The Daily Telegraph understands Crichton and Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire have a close friendship from their days together at South Sydney.

Off contract after this year, Crichton has agreed to a two-year extension at the Sydney Roosters but the contract hasn’t yet been signed or registered with the NRL.

Wests Tigers have spoken internally about approaching Crichton, although no offer has yet been lodged. Other cashed-up NRL clubs are also interested in Crichton.

Should he sign at Concord, Crichton would join Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i in a dynamic Wests Tigers’ back-row with Penrith’s Api Koroisau at dummy half.

It is anticipated Crichton could attract a three-year deal worth between $2.1 million and $2.4 million.

There appears little doubt Wests Tigers will pursue Crichton with vigour, although sources close to the club are denying any formal contact has yet been made.

The Tigers are in desperate need of some heavy-hitting forwards after losing Kelma Tuilagi to Manly, Luke Garner to Penrith and Luciano Leilua to North Queensland for 2023.

Wests Tigers have the money to go after Crichton, who has represented NSW over the past four State of Origin series. The club privately fears being out-bid by rivals for Crichton.

Maguire has a history with Crichton, luring him back from rugby union to Souths in late 2014 and then giving the star forward his NRL debut in 2016.

The Tigers coach also has a strong bond with the Crichton family.

There was a suggestion the Roosters offer involved a chunky pay cut to free up some salary cap cash to sign Storm star Brandon Smith.

Crichton, 26, has endured a largely inconsistent season but there are few more damaging edge forwards in rugby league when he’s firing.

Wests Tigers are privately saying they need to be chasing players of Crichton’s ability and big-match experience.

One former NRL coach said: “Angus would be just the player a club like Wests Tigers need. They need a player of his calibre — that’s the next step for Wests Tigers.

“The club has plenty of rising young players coming through but, for them to step up to the next level, they need players that have played at the highest level, players that have played rep footy. Imagine a Wests Tigers back-row of Crichton and Papali’i.”

Crichton has been linked to a return to rugby union – the code he played when a student at Scots College, Sydney. He is a former Australian Schoolboy rugby union player.

Speaking recently with The Sunday Telegraph, Crichton’s manager David Rawlings was coy about his client’s future, only saying: “We don’t do business and play it out in the media.”

Crichton will play a key role for the Roosters on Saturday night’s big match against Penrith at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Thanks for paying overs to keep Nikora sharkies 🦈

I love Thomas. Met him when he came down from QLD and living with cons Lemuelu, I hope we can keep him I have a lot of time and trust in him but he has a you g family and if he needs to secure the bag then secure the bag 😇

no way, who would have thought
Gave up his manager source there
sorry what, lost me here
Kelma - Busted, but greatish, Luke is a great 2nd rower covering centre, top hole runner, and average defender, LL fair call. none of these are "heavy hitting"
Seems public, but not quoted so made up?
Lets see who this could be, someone on news corp, Kayo, fox payroll perhaps?
Made up quote - no name. journalism FAIL
LOL

Media are rubbish, at least a subbed checked the seplling etc

I love Thomas. Met him when he came down from QLD and living with cons Lemuelu, I hope we can keep him I have a lot of time and trust in him but he has a you g family and if he needs to secure the bag then secure the bag 😇
I don't mind him ay.
It's like he doesn't know how big he is.
If he went hard he'd be killing ppl.

have to agree, from our recent "homegrown" props only Woods came out as the origin/representative player.
While Groat, Mikaele, JJ Falise etc. failed for a different reasons.
Yea agreed. We haven't seen a hard hitting Tiger being developed.
I can say Andrew Fifita reached that level but really went another gear with the Sharks, never consistent but always full of energy.
You would have to go back to Chris Heighington or Liam Fulton to find someone that went through our system. Both of those good club players but never hit that Origin level.

I'm sorry I agree with Earl, this is a load of ancient baloney.

No offence but I am going to guess you are comfortably older than 22 years old and were a long-term Magpies supporter. I'm 42, I supported Balmain in my formative years.

Every kid in the Magpies and Balmain junior ranks knows they are in the feeder system for Wests Tigers. Not one of these kids is pinning their final hopes on being a Magpie - that is merely a stepping stone to first grade. Most of these kids are only in Magpies jerseys for a few years anyway, because prior to this they were playing for Eaglevale or Minto Cobras.

Case in point: Tedesco himself said was a fan of the Roosters because Camden Rams wear Roosters colours, even though his family supported Tigers and he's a local kid. Although Tedesco emerged via Wests Tigers pathways and gave us many good seasons of play, in hindsight we also know he manoeuvred to leave the club every time his contract was up. He wasn't a Magpie, he was a Tedesco - he's only interested in his own brand.

The idea of kids aspiring to play for their local club - I honestly think that idea is mostly dead. Geographical boundaries for clubs are not what they used to be. Maybe if the family were club supporters it adds some charm to play for their childhood club, but we also know such things are easily discarded once young kids become young men within the first grade club they first join. For example there are countless examples of people who supported Balmain as a kid who are instead deeply associated with other first-grade clubs - the Johns brothers, Ivan Cleary, Josh Addo-Carr etc. etc. There are also countless examples of Balmain stalwarts who did not grow up in the Balmain districts - Blocker Roach, Garry Jack, Olsen Filipaina, Arthur Beetson etc.

Furthermore, any kid who is a decent footballer knows they may have up to 9 potential suitors for senior contracts without having to leave Sydney, and 11 if they stay within NSW. They will take the best deals available to them.

Not one of these kids was close to being alive when Wests Magpies last played in the top tier competition.

We also have countless examples within our own club to illustrate how it is more important to develop your first-grade culture, than have unrealistic expectations that local kids are died-in-the-wool club supporters. For example Stefano and Alex Twal - Parramatta juniors. Zane Musgrove who is a Kiwi. Tamou who is also a Kiwi and came to Sydney to play in the Roosters juniors. Laurie and Blore from Penrith. Jake Simpkin is from QLD and Jacob Liddle is from Terrigal. Jackson Hastings is a Wollongong junior.

There are only a handful of legitimate all-Tigers juniors - Nofoaluma and Doueihi are the prominent ones. It must be supremely evident that whilst the local districts are very important, more important than this is to sign the best players from anywhere, and then develop a first grade culture that encourages those players to stay and contribute.
x a gazillion! Well said. Keith Barnes from Wales says hi!

So @THE_POM advised us about Angus C and the offer we plan to give him.. Now that the media is all over this and saying others will be interested I wonder how confident we are now? I personally think we might have to increase our offer and unlikely now to land him.
Does anyone know of a timeline of him making a decision?
Interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

So @THE_POM advised us about Angus C and the offer we plan to give him.. Now that the media is all over this and saying others will be interested I wonder how confident we are now? I personally think we might have to increase our offer and unlikely now to land him.
Doesn't usually go well once the media are involved eh.

Every team would know about Angus. Only few can afford him.

Think we would be in the conversation.

Back