Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Only for a very short time.

The Tigers pack in general has more youth in it.

Stefano
Twal
Papaii
Musgrave

All young
Stefano and Papali’i are solid NRL prospects/stars. The other pair are just plodding in a bottom four team. Rose coloured glasses around here. Where’s Melbourne sitting?

?? Your joking me ain't you? Did you watch the last two Storm games? Kaufusi and the Bromich brothers are past it. They will bring experience but they are already a step behind.

Jamaine Isaako? You kidding me.

I'd take our team anytime of the day.
Over 20 successful seasons (running second in the Comp) and you’re judging Melbourne players on two games against strong opposition?

Their team isn’t finalised yet.

One hard running prop and a class back rower away from making the 8 next season. Need some depth backrowers as well Topine from the dogs would be a good value Signing
And an x-factor outside back. You confident this club can get that done? I’m more confident with Sheens and a couple of recent signings, but my guess is we’ll waste those good signings by being too reliant on them for 2-3 years.

Tim spoke for over 3 hours and was very generous with his time. Emma Lawrence was the interviewer. He spoke very well as usual but when asked about the Junior Reps he was quite positive & Young was the one mentioned. He did say they are starting to see more rugby school kids coming through to league (e.g. Illias to Souths and presumably others from schools like Joeys to WTs). He was particularly happy with the numbers that applied for Junior Reps this year across the board.

Made some interesting comments:

• Prefers the term "supporter" to "fan" as fans blow from side to side!
  • He views the ability to attack more important than defence (referenced 2005) with individual players;
  • Whilst he may not always agree with the coach, he would never steamroll them with his views a la other clubs;
  • He is not keen to risk AD come back this year ("knees are like wet cement") or others that have recently had knee issues such as Blore but the club will listen to the medicos about any clearance;
  • Pretty sure Crichton was mentioned that WTs had had discussions but a lot of this can be their manager driving up prices with their existing club;
  • Doesn't believe young talent should be asking for the inflated amounts their managers are seeking until they prove themselves into their mid-late 20s - I certainly got the impression he is not a fan (or should I say 'supporter') of quite of few of these managers!;
  • Frustration pointed out around the timing of COE but certainly wasn't indicating that he thought it will change things overnight but a "nice to have" attracting future talent;
  • The club does have a plan to get back to glory days - I must admit I wasn't clear exactly what that was but there were a few distractions in the room.
Anyway, probably haven't given the forum any new observations with this post. I did think he spoke impressively and positively (without rose coloured glasses) which gave me hope. There were no inappropriate stories and the ones he did tell were quite funny. He hung around after he finished to talk to people who went up and thanked him for the night.

Certainly, he has his heart in the right place. He was asked how long he was going to stay at the club and he joked that it was a contract for 3 years but that it can be as short as one year these days or if all goes well hopefully extended.
What interview was this??

Back