Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

In fairness to him its hard to do a good job and develop your skills as a young player when there is a shit show in front of you every week.. We need to invest into forwards urgently that can make is easier for the back to excel.
That excuse doesn’t cut it for Brooks, so doesn’t cut it for Laurie either. I have said this about Simpkin in the past, but I think its true for Laurie too. Most young players at 21-22 are never complete players. They always have mistakes in them and their form will always fluctuate. However you will often see flashes of brilliance from them. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh are good recent examples of that. We’ve never seen that from Laurie. People will defend him, but I have never seen anyone point out one moment where he scored a brilliant try or set one up. He just isn’t that type of player. If he was, he‘d still be in the Panthers system.

Does anyone know if we can pay in advance to use salary cap this year eg api or papali before they arrive

That excuse doesn’t cut it for Brooks, so doesn’t cut it for Laurie either. I have said this about Simpkin in the past, but I think its true for Laurie too. Most young players at 21-22 are never complete players. They always have mistakes in them and their form will always fluctuate. However you will often see flashes of brilliance from them. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh are good recent examples of that. We’ve never seen that from Laurie. People will defend him, but I have never seen anyone point out one moment where he scored a brilliant try or set one up. He just isn’t that type of player. If he was, he‘d still be in the Panthers system.
Mate I have to agree with that assessment. I look at other young talent around the NRL and there is a wow factor in a lot of there games or game changing plays but it doesn't happen here often.
I can see why we are putting a lot of effect into development because with the size of our juniors we should be getting the numbers like Panthers etc..

Mate I have to agree with that assessment. I look at other young talent around the NRL and there is a wow factor in a lot of there games or game changing plays but it doesn't happen here often.
I can see why we are putting a lot of effect into development because with the size of our juniors we should be getting the numbers like Panthers etc..
Wow factor is an apt term. Laurie is severely lacking of that.

I don’t think we’ll be making any more signings until we’ve got a coach for next year, but they have to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 851
Players off contract at end of 2023 include:

Origin squad players Daniel Tupou, Victor Radley, Ben Hunt, Damien Cook, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Brian To’o, Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Selwyn Cobbo, Thomas Flegler, Siosifa Talakai and Jeremiah Nanai come off contract after next season, meaning they are free agents from November 1 this year.

Canterbury’s Matt Burton is under contract until after 2024 but the final season is an option in his favour while Angus Crichton comes off after this year.

Reactions: 851
Players off contract at end of 2023 include:

Origin squad players Daniel Tupou, Victor Radley, Ben Hunt, Damien Cook, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Brian To’o, Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Selwyn Cobbo, Thomas Flegler, Siosifa Talakai and Jeremiah Nanai come off contract after next season, meaning they are free agents from November 1 this year.

Canterbury’s Matt Burton is under contract until after 2024 but the final season is an option in his favour while Angus Crichton comes off after this year.

Depending on who we get as coach it will be difficult to lure those players here, we have 15 players off contract after 23 plenty of cap but depending who’s coach, they won’t have a lot of pulling power to get them over to us.

Staines is woeful.

I'm sure he can improve but I don't think we're in a position to be buying more project players hoping they improve ala Jimmy the Jet, Tristan Riley and others.

I'm not a fan of this suggestion.
Amen!

I’ve said before we need to be signing players that walk into our starting 13. We have a squad full of players who can cover roster spots 14-30, we need quality.

Amen!

I’ve said before we need to be signing players that walk into our starting 13. We have a squad full of players who can cover roster spots 14-30, we need quality.
Most quality is locked up long term unfortunately, we were really lucky to get Api and Papali’I for next year, not sure who’s available for 24 but even with cap it’ll be hard to lure them over.

Reactions: BZN
Most quality is locked up long term unfortunately, we were really lucky to get Api and Papali’I for next year, not sure who’s available for 24 but even with cap it’ll be hard to lure them over.
So a heavily subsidised Nathan Brown, for the next 18 months, might be worthwhile "swing". We have the spot and the cash. Be nice if the coach is in place soon, to help make these decisions.

So a heavily subsidised Nathan Brown, for the next 18 months, might be worthwhile "swing". We have the spot and the cash. Be nice if the coach is in place soon, to help make these decisions.
I’m not against signing Brown, but we aren’t gonna make decisions until we’ve got a coach hopefully sooner rather than later.

Yeah that’s a fair point but I would rather hold off and see what comes up than sign average players just because they’re available.

There will also be players that become available unexpectedly between now and the end of the year so let’s not rush in.

Members online

Back