Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We're about to see the birth of Dad Mode Brooks.

About to join the historical greats such as Beau Ryan (Headgear version) & Busty Tuki.

We're about to see some improvement, only took 10 years & fatherhood.

Congrats, you're the man now.
Today?

Wests Tigers have started preliminary discussions to extend the contract of Luke Brooks - a move which could keep the halfback at Concord for the rest of his playing career.

The Daily Telegraph was told Newcastle was zeroing in on Brooks again but the speculation was quickly denied by Wests Tigers management.

One source close to Newcastle felt Brooks was a “99 per cent” chance of being at the Knights next season.

Wests Tigers officials scuppered the speculation before claiming the club had spoken to Brooks’ manager, Isaac Moses, about a new deal.

Club recruitment manager Warren McDonnell met with Moses on Monday.

“We are looking at the future and are talking about numerous options and we broached the subject with his management,” McDonnell said.

“But that’s all – broached the subject. He’s not off contract until the end of next year. We are in discussions with numerous players coming off contract after next year and we are only in the early stages of discussions (with Brooks).

“Luke is one of the players whose manager we have spoken to but we haven’t put an offer to him and we won’t in the short-term.”

Brooks has told friends he is keen to work under the club’s newest coaching staff of Tim Sheens, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah and David Furner.

Contract extension discussions were brief and no money was lodged.

Brooks was at the club’s Centre of Excellence on Wednesday and has already held meetings about next season with club director of football, Tim Sheens.

Even after being told Wests Tigers wanted to retain Brooks, sources close to Newcastle believed the halfback would be at McDonald Jones Stadium next season.

Player managers claimed Knights officials were holding meetings this week about recruitment for next season.

It seems the Knights will continue to quietly pursue Brooks.

Loading embed...
Sheens is a known fan of Brooks, the often-maligned halfback who comes off contract after next season.

It is understood Sheens, the new head coach from 2023, and Benji Marshall, the coach from 2025, will further talks with Brooks early next season.

Brooks’ possible exit to Newcastle has created headlines for two years although the player has never sought a release, despite reports suggesting he had last off-season.

He will be 28 years old when his deal expires at Wests Tigers after next season.

While no contract extension details have been finalised, a new deal could ensure Brooks plays out his career at Concord.

One well-placed source close to Wests Tigers, when asked about Brooks joining Newcastle, said: “In all honesty, not a hope in hell. Sheens is keen on him and wants to keep him. Absolutely not.”

In April, Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis angrily hit out at the on-going criticism of Brooks.

“If it was in an employment environment, it would be tantamount to bullying,” said Hagipantelis, the Principal of Brydens Lawyers.

“The level of focus and attention on Luke I think is unwarranted and unhealthy. We often speak about welfare issues in the game. The level of scrutiny and criticism, I think, has been excessive.”

Meanwhile Wests Tigers forward Joe Ofahengaue has claimed the Kelly-Barnes Medal after being voted the club’s 2022 NRL player of the year.

This is actually a serious point - IMO Benji looked noticeably worse in the period when he had a young baby for the first time. I struggle to scratch my own arse when I've been sleep deprived from babies, I'd hate to try and play serious footy.
My job wasn't one that required physical stamina but I remember when I had my first kid something really changed in me, and it really was the making of me, maturity wise. I suddenly felt truy responsible for others, in a way I hadn't fully before. I'm serious. It could be the making of him.

This is actually a serious point - IMO Benji looked noticeably worse in the period when he had a young baby for the first time. I struggle to scratch my own arse when I've been sleep deprived from babies, I'd hate to try and play serious footy.

Doesn't seem to be affecting Munster - He's playing the best Footy he has in a long while as a new dad....
Plenty of other blokes have kids and it has a positive affect on them.

Wests Tigers have started preliminary discussions to extend the contract of Luke Brooks - a move which could keep the halfback at Concord for the rest of his playing career.

The Daily Telegraph was told Newcastle was zeroing in on Brooks again but the speculation was quickly denied by Wests Tigers management.

One source close to Newcastle felt Brooks was a “99 per cent” chance of being at the Knights next season.

Wests Tigers officials scuppered the speculation before claiming the club had spoken to Brooks’ manager, Isaac Moses, about a new deal.

“We are looking at the future and are talking about numerous options and we broached the subject with his management,” McDonnell said.

“But that’s all – broached the subject. He’s not off contract until the end of next year. We are in discussions with numerous players coming off contract after next year and we are only in the early stages of discussions (with Brooks).

“Luke is one of the players whose manager we have spoken to but we haven’t put an offer to him and we won’t in the short-term.”

Brooks has told friends he is keen to work under the club’s newest coaching staff of Tim Sheens, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah and David Furner.

Brooks was at the club’s Centre of Excellence on Wednesday and has already held meetings about next season with club director of football, Tim Sheens.

Even after being told Wests Tigers wanted to retain Brooks, sources close to Newcastle believed the halfback would be at McDonald Jones Stadium next season.

Player managers claimed Knights officials were holding meetings this week about recruitment for next season.

Loading embed...
Sheens is a known fan of Brooks, the often-maligned halfback who comes off contract after next season.

It is understood Sheens, the new head coach from 2023, and Benji Marshall, the coach from 2025, will further talks with Brooks early next season.

Brooks’ possible exit to Newcastle has created headlines for two years although the player has never sought a release, despite reports suggesting he had last off-season.

He will be 28 years old when his deal expires at Wests Tigers after next season.

While no contract extension details have been finalised, a new deal could ensure Brooks plays out his career at Concord.

One well-placed source close to Wests Tigers, when asked about Brooks joining Newcastle, said: “In all honesty, not a hope in hell. Sheens is keen on him and wants to keep him. Absolutely not.”

In April, Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis angrily hit out at the on-going criticism of Brooks.

“If it was in an employment environment, it would be tantamount to bullying,” said Hagipantelis, the Principal of Brydens Lawyers.

“The level of focus and attention on Luke I think is unwarranted and unhealthy. We often speak about welfare issues in the game. The level of scrutiny and criticism, I think, has been excessive.”

Meanwhile Wests Tigers forward Joe Ofahengaue has claimed the Kelly-Barnes Medal after being voted the club’s 2022 NRL player of the year.
Well Lee, if you were paying one of your lawyers $1m a year and he kept loosing cases, I am sure you would his contract by another few years

Loading embed...

Wondering who wrote that - Claiming no release was requested....
Be interested to know if it's one of the same journalists that have been sprucing all year that he asked twice last year?

Also wonder if it's a ploy to get Newcastle to pay full freight?
Also seems odd to me that the Knights have Clifford and Clune - Just bought Gamble and are "Apparently" chasing croft for next year.
Add Brooks to that - There's a whole bunch of halves....

LOL. And people on here wonder why we are widely regarded as the joke of the NRL and the media refer to us as a basket case.

It's because we do dumb shit like this! Of course, there's the usual parade of troglydytes on here clapping like seals, applauding this despite him having delivered nothing in 10 years. Just another example of the culture of acceptance for mediocrity that comes from the board and seeps all the way down amongst some delusional fans evidently.

Wondering who wrote that - Claiming no release was requested....
Be interested to know if it's one of the same journalists that have been sprucing all year that he asked twice last year?

Also wonder if it's a ploy to get Newcastle to pay full freight?
Also seems odd to me that the Knights have Clifford and Clune - Just bought Gamble and are "Apparently" chasing croft for next year.
Add Brooks to that - There's a whole bunch of halves....
Dean Ritchie wrote it

Reactions: 851
Back