Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Lot of talk about star backs RTS ,Munster , Moses etc .These guys would be great signing them would be really difficult even with big overs . However my memory is still fresh about back end of this season and how sides like roosters and raiders humiliated our pack . It was men against boys and that pack was dreadful .I think only one member of that pack survives at least in run on side .Never again the rest and let's not pretend lightweight reggies forwards will make it at Nrl level
Unless we've got a true Ist grade forward line up that is 6 run on and 3 bench then it won't matter how classy some of our backs are .
We don't have 9 great forwards in our roster yet !
If we played differently we could have negated a fair bit of that, we were just dump and one out rucking the ball asking no questions, that's great with a big pack that can punch holes in the line.
What we needed to do because of our smaller forwards was base our game on 2nd, 3rd, 4th phase play. Keep the opposition forwards moving while we slowly eat metres by promoting the ball to the next guy. This will take a fair bit of juice out of the opposition's pack making our life in defence a hell of a lot easier.

Sheens has handled the Munster thing just right. Said to just let us know if you might be interested in joining WT and we can talk. Munster and Anasta know we can almost certainly match or beat any other offers they might get. Getting someone like Munster would also make us a lot more appealing as a destination for other elite players. That said, still think he's probably off to the Dolphins.
Biggest stumbling block will definitely be Anasta, I can't see him promoting a move to the Tigers even for overs, just because of his experience when he was here

I love what Kent said if true... Our CEO doing his job and saying what us fans want to hear.. You come or you sit out and it's that simple. Sounds like the Eels are moving on as well

I have no problem added Brown either as that another aggressive forward..

Not reading too much onto the Munster comment but you never know if you never try..
If the front office does show some backbone it is about time. Remember Lee was yapping all about the Cowboys robbery but when the time came to stand up……..crickets. We will see. Don’t bet your house on it!

I reckon if we’ve built up that much of war chest and our current players are keen to head to market, ie Doueihi, Laurie and Brooks.
I would target Ben Hunt to play as halfback.
If they all get to November without contracts I would be poaching a Munster / Hunt halves pairing as a priority.
The issue with Hunt is that you're paying for diminishing returns. No doubt he's a great player, but you'd be paying big money for a guy on the wrong side of 30.

The issue with Hunt is that you're paying for diminishing returns. No doubt he's a great player, but you'd be paying big money for a guy on the wrong side of 30.
Is it big money though? Dragons are trying to resign him on 800k you could sign him on a similar deal to what Finucane signed on with the sharks with. Ie 900k but on a longer term deal with the final year being a reduced contract.
If he is close to retiring by that final year he doesn’t cost much in our squad if he is still in form he can cancel his final year and sign another extension. Likewise if he wants to move his family back to Queensland.
We don’t have one decent half coming through the ranks in our entire establishment.
Could be a Peter Wallace type signing that Penrith took a stab with in 2014.
And frankly he’d still be on a smaller contract that the Roosters signed Cooper Cronk on for two years.

In his debut match he demonstrated blistering pace down the right-hand touch line to score. In the game last weekend one of the commentators mentioned Staines using his pace to get across to cover defend. Our recruitment officer I recall has chased him from his junior days at Forbes. His pace as far as I am aware, has never been questioned.
Our recruitment officer might be slow...

Biggest stumbling block will definitely be Anasta, I can't see him promoting a move to the Tigers even for overs, just because of his experience when he was here
But his percentage on our massive overs would be nice.

Things we can control: we need a proper sport shrink and a fitness guru. You can count our number of “ genuine resilience” efforts on one hand over the last few years.

Even where we’ve jagged the lead, far too often, weve really struggled to maintain it.

Last edited:
2023 probably look like
1. Staines
3. Douhie
6. Laurie
7. Brooks
9. Api
13. Hastings

IF we did sign Munster perhaps we can look at releasing Douhie a year early so he can sign with Storm, never know
Big IF on Munster lol plus don't even think storm would want Douhie

You are probably right but you never know what Munster might want to do if our offer's much better than any of the others he gets. He might just tell Anasta to take it. Most likely scenario though is he either stays in Melbourne or joins the Dolphins

Back