Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I get your logic, and it makes sense, but Munster would be the catalyst or game changer we need to show other players we are a club good players come to
Munster would be almost as valuable as a drawcard for other elite players as he would be on the field

2023 probably look like
1. Staines
3. Douhie
6. Laurie
7. Brooks
9. Api
13. Hastings

IF we did sign Munster perhaps we can look at releasing Douhie a year early so he can sign with Storm, never know
Fastest halves pairing in the competition !!
Lowest rugby league IQ too 😂

Let it go man.

Basically the rundown is this: Munster says Tigers are a genuine option but doesn't want to rush in deciding his future and also Wigan have put a 350,00 fee for use to sign Bateman early, club not having that.
Obviously he will consider us, especially for big $.
But the lure of playing for a new club in your home state under the best coach ever would be slightly more tempting than playing for the wooden spooners i think

Basically the rundown is this: Munster says Tigers are a genuine option but doesn't want to rush in deciding his future and also Wigan have put a 350,00 fee for us to sign Bateman early, club not having that.

Bateman's form is very unimpressive and he would not be cheap,when you add a 350k transfer fee on that you are talking around about 1 million for him.That would be the biggest waste of money in the history of the NRL imho.Hopefully the club told them no in the most emphatic way possible

Is it big money though? Dragons are trying to resign him on 800k you could sign him on a similar deal to what Finucane signed on with the sharks with. Ie 900k but on a longer term deal with the final year being a reduced contract.
If he is close to retiring by that final year he doesn’t cost much in our squad if he is still in form he can cancel his final year and sign another extension. Likewise if he wants to move his family back to Queensland.
We don’t have one decent half coming through the ranks in our entire establishment.
Could be a Peter Wallace type signing that Penrith took a stab with in 2014.
And frankly he’d still be on a smaller contract that the Roosters signed Cooper Cronk on for two years.
It's big money when there are a slew of other halves we can pursue at the same time. And his ability/durability is only going to decrease from here on in. He'll be 34 a few rounds into his 2024 contract.
I'd no issue paying him $900k for two years if we had someone being groomed underneath to take over - but we don't, as you say.
Wallace was a signing along those lines, just a placeholder whilst Cleary was coming through.

Cronk was the last puzzle piece for a team on the verge of winning it all. If we were in a similar boat I'd have no issues with the age stuff, but we're miles away.

Bateman's form is very unimpressive and he would not be cheap,when you add a 350k transfer fee on that you are talking around about 1 million for him.That would be the biggest waste of money in the history of the NRL imho.Hopefully the club told them no in the most emphatic way possible
I say no to Batman ( or Robin or both).
Waste of money !

Lot of talk about star backs RTS ,Munster , Moses etc .These guys would be great signing them would be really difficult even with big overs . However my memory is still fresh about back end of this season and how sides like roosters and raiders humiliated our pack . It was men against boys and that pack was dreadful .I think only one member of that pack survives at least in run on side .Never again the rest and let's not pretend lightweight reggies forwards will make it at Nrl level
Unless we've got a true Ist grade forward line up that is 6 run on and 3 bench then it won't matter how classy some of our backs are .
We don't have 9 great forwards in our roster yet !
Agree we need to pack to match the new standard, but we are already behind the 8 ball with Hastings at lock. A half taking a forward slot due to club / coach inability to make hard decision, so far atleast, with a inadequate halves pairing. So in many ways if it eventuates next season we will have 5 true forwards against others 6- meaning our interchange bench use will have to be superb and probably all forwards.

Back