Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

i think most on hear have no idea who we are going to get for next season , Bateman, Klemmer and co , nobody knows
where the guys will play this season coming it is also a complete unknown , Hastings Brooks , AD , I believe will all be with us in 2023 , where they play who knows , Sheens may give Brooks a few games in second grade to tune in what sheens wants him To do , first 4 rounds we may move players around like Brooks , Hastings , Smith , AD , then settle on a run on team , Players returning to training over the next couple weeks will also mean zero , we won’t know who plays where , who is coming , who is going , until January , I think Glock may be correct , Pom also has been very quiet so no news to share
4 rounds to settle on a run-on team?
Why do we play trials?

Trails will contain many lower grade players or players who have put in over the summer , main guys start usually in he last trail

IMHO

OMHO, Laurie is by miles the best FB in the club, I prefer AD to play either at the centre or 5/8, and he must work on his long kick with Pat Richards.
I will be stunned if Stains is not FB. They want a good spine APISI,STAINS, trying for Moses an Munster and others for 6 and 7. and signed Smith as a fall back position. Hoping with better coaching to rejuvinate Brooks, and maybe give Laurie a chance . That and some big forwards is the obvious goals; A long way to go with this can of worms, Don,t be surprised if Smith turns out to be a winner.

Reactions: 851
Has anyone actually confirmed that Laurie will be having a go at 5/8? Or is it just putting 2 and 2 together with Staines arriving. People saying he is training there but he isn't even back at training yet. I would love to watch Laurie at fullback behind a more dominant forward pack. I'd love him popping up on the hips of klemmer, papalii and stef!

Has anyone actually confirmed that Laurie will be having a go at 5/8? Or is it just putting 2 and 2 together with Staines arriving. People saying he is training there but he isn't even back at training yet. I would love to watch Laurie at fullback behind a more dominant forward pack. I'd love him popping up on the hips of klemmer, papalii and stef!
He’s Back at training today

I will be stunned if Stains is not FB. They want a good spine APISI,STAINS, trying for Moses an Munster and others for 6 and 7. and signed Smith as a fall back position. Hoping with better coaching to rejuvinate Brooks, and maybe give Laurie a chance . That and some big forwards is the obvious goals; A long way to go with this can of worms, Don,t be surprised if Smith turns out to be a winner.
Stains ain’t a fullback . He is one of these guys who is chasing fullback money without the skills. It would mistake to put him at fullback . A winger at best.

I know Souths have Russell Crowe for their Hollywood appeal, however reading the last few weeks we have Jason Bateman ( John Batemans replacement ) and now Will Smith surely has us looking for the Hollywood TPA's.

Thank God for the silly season

Stains ain’t a fullback . He is one of these guys who is chasing fullback money without the skills. It would mistake to put him at fullback . A winger at best.
Not even a good winger. As I have said before he’s on par with To’a

Putting 2 + 2 together & getting 7...

Brooks- Rumoured to Knights. They clearly want him. Sheens says he wants him to stay. Uses the trusty "he's on our roster for now" comment that never feels like an endorsement..

Will Smith = Signed. Backup?

Kurt Falls- rumoured to be coming. Backup?

Jackson Hastings- Unofficially our #13. Rumoured to want to play #7. Now linked with a couple of clubs away from Tigers & apparently doesn't get on with potential addition Bateman.

Adam Doueihi- No commitment from management to re-sign. Has recently punted manager.

Daine Laurie- No commitment to re-sign.

Mitch Moses- Rumoured to be the #1 target of Sheens/Marshall.

David Klemmer- Rumoured to be pursued by Tigers among others. Apparently Tigers willing to pay the full wage of Knights contract- putting Tigers in 'box seat'. Klemmer coming has (rumoured) no relation to Brooks going. Apparently Klemmer prefers other destinations, but those clubs unwilling to fork out for full contract value.

Tyson Frizzell- Recently rumoured to be a Tigers target.

John Bateman- Rumoured to have signed. Gave the trusty "I'm leaving it to after the WC to make a decision" line that never sounds like the truth.

Aaron Woods- Recently rumoured to be returning to the Tigers. Klemmer's best mate.

Let's see if we can put the pieces together..

1. Brooks has been linked to Knights for some time. Sheens uses the 'he's our player for now, Knights haven't asked about him' line. This is not a 'hands off' line. Our understanding is that no Brooks-Newcastle swap has any impact on our top target- Klemmer. But, what about Frizzell?

2. Klemmer to Tigers has been linked for a while, but nothing over the line. Recent report is talking about other clubs being in for him but not matching the contract value for Knights. Woods only recently linked to return to club, Klemmer's mate. Bargaining tool to swing the pendulum?

3. Bateman has been linked as signed & giving no indication he hasn't. Waiting for the WC run to be over, but expect this to be confirmed.

4. No extended contract for Doueihi or Laurie until the new year. Dependant on the Moses contract talk perhaps?

5. Will Smith & Falls offer coverage for Brooks/Hastings leaving.

6. Hastings linked to Bulldogs. Sheens + Gould had meetings earlier in the year with no outcome. Could Hastings be released to Bulldogs once/if Moses is confirmed along with potential Frizzell/Klemmer/Bateman additions?

Conclusion:

I believe that Woods coming is the hook to adding Klemmer.
Brooks is likely still moving, but instead of for Klemmer, perhaps for Frizzell.
Frizzell addition could allow Bateman to play #13, negating Hastings.
Hastings released to Bulldogs for ? Kiraz? Okenbor?
Smith & Falls cover at half in case Doueihi/Laurie doesn't work.
Moses is chased hard & Doueihi/Laurie contract extensions/value are assessed on the success of Moses joining.

See? 7.

2023 Predictions not accounting for new signings, Mid season - Apisi (c) Brooks and Smith at 6 and 7, Stains at FB, Spine playing well. Tigers sign key half and forward for 2024. Brooks, Hastings and AD contracts not extended,for 2024, currently running 10th. Tiger s cashed up for key players in 2024.

Laurie being tested at 5/8 is also interesting- he adds the speed Sheens is talking about.
I know Gus keeps saying that 5/8 is the spot for young Daine but who can believe anything that Gus comes out with because time and time again he has shown that he can be very economical when it comes to the truth.

As far as his speed goes, I may not have been looking at the right times, but I am yet to see much evidence of Daine's blistering pace and maybe it is just his poor defensive positioning at full back that sees him arrive on the scene well after a try has been scored and not his lack of speed.

Would be happy to be proved wrong and see him absolutely killing it at either full back or five eight but at this stage I am not counting on it because I have seen way too much potential at the Wests Tigers either fail to eventuate or to see it leave and go to a more desirable destination.

Back