Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I’m pretty sure MM would be keen on playing Sheens/Benji “flare football” brand rather than stuck behind boring Brad Arthur type… he’s gone as far as he could with the eels, times change and the Tiges are on the up 🤙
I agree, As a player they love to score and have the flair game and this suit Moses to a Tee IMO.
If he was going to stay, why is it not done yet is the big question.

The point is more Moses performance in the GF. 17 kicks for 611 kick meters is a huge contribution for a HB. And as you said the team was dominated from the start so he was clearly kicking off the back foot.
This we do not have, we do not have a half that can play for territory off the back of a dominated pack.
He clearly hates Moses and his opinion is clouded and not worth responding too

If you were there, You would remember he imported mostly when he got to the Panthers as well.....
Whatever his reasoning - It's worked, And they're now set for 20 years.

Gus won't lose anyone from the dogs he doesn't want to....
His 5 year plan was all based around cleary and co when they where playing Matts and Ball. I don’t want to sound disrespectful to Gus but if he didn’t have certain business contacts he wouldn’t be in the game (in his position) They will lose some outstanding junior talent in the next year or 2.

His 5 year plan was all based around cleary and co when they where playing Matts and Ball. I don’t want to sound disrespectful to Gus but if he didn’t have certain business contacts he wouldn’t be in the game (in his position) They will lose some outstanding junior talent in the next year or 2.
I hope you are right, the media suck up to him like he is the messiah

Last edited:
good NRL halfbacks are very hard to come by. Moses is at least a top 8 halfback, we haven’t had one of those for some time. If we signed him for 5 years (which I think is too long) after a couple of years I think there will be other bottom feeding teams desperate enough to take him off our hands at full freight (Or close enough to full freight).
a few good signing and all of sudden we are not a bottom feeder anymore. we are still at the bottom until we win some games. still no to moses never the less

Would it be fair to say he plays out of the nick politis handbook?

Reactions: 851
If you were there, You would remember he imported mostly when he got to the Panthers as well.....
Whatever his reasoning - It's worked, And they're now set for 20 years.

Gus won't lose anyone from the dogs he doesn't want to....

Gus’s vision for the panthers was Moylan, Blake, DWZ, Mansour, CHN, Cartwright, Peachey, RCG etc on massive back ended contracts. The panthers only came good once they sold them all (whilst fitting a huge part of the bill).

He may have done great things with their juniours, I don’t know, but he also had a Junior base which is roughly 3 times the size of the second largest Sydney one. Basically it’s like crediting the guy In charge of USA Olympics for them getting more medals than Australia.

Meanwhile the Dogs Flegg, Ball and Matt’s teams all finished below one of ours in 2022.

Would it be fair to say he plays out of the nick politis handbook?
Looks that way doesn’t it. Nick and Gus are very close. I know Tim Grant got offered a “restructured” contract which Tim made the same money but less on the books when at Panthers. Creative accounting or a good TPA came in but to TGs credit he said no. Thats just one example I know of Gus tactics. I believe our approach is good. Trust me I wasn’t totally convinced on Sheens return at first but he has the junior reps onside and pumping to play for us

Then you have to consider if he would be blocking the progression of younger players such as Matamua and Faagutu. Clearly the answer is he would be and that is before you consider the salary cap implications. There is a lot of work balancing a squad.
I thought Douehi and Moses were a really good combination for Lebanon. I think they'd compliment each other perfectly, as long as AD gets back to his 2021 form and uses that as a baseline performance. Last year for the Tigers he wasn't good enough

Gus’s vision for the panthers was Moylan, Blake, DWZ, Mansour, CHN, Cartwright, Peachey, RCG etc on massive back ended contracts. The panthers only came good once they sold them all (whilst fitting a huge part of the bill).

He may have done great things with their juniours, I don’t know, but he also had a Junior base which is roughly 3 times the size of the second largest Sydney one. Basically it’s like crediting the guy In charge of USA Olympics for them getting more medals than Australia.

Meanwhile the Dogs Flegg, Ball and Matt’s teams all finished below one of ours in 2022.
Their best Junior imo (Joey O’Neill) wont hang around now they have signed and given a top 30 spot to the young Bronco. O’Neill is better than any of our Flegg & Reggies halves. He is just one of several outstanding players they will lose.

Good post. We are not the Salvation army. Why keep persevering with ordinary players on good coin. We must duplicate the top sides, and continue to promote or buy the best where possible. To do this as you have said,is down to salary cap implications and roster balance. We cannot progress young players if we are tied to dead wood, and there are no vacancies. We have a few players that either perform or be let go!
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post. Your 100s of posts backing Luke Brooks tends me to form the opinion that you are an enormous hypocrite

Your opinion of course but I heavily disagree….with everything.
Cleary is a step higher in kicking ability.
Cleary is a damaging runner and good ball player.
Luai is a foil only as witnessed in the World Cup.
Cleary is an all round better player, and leader as detailed in the 2021 SOO series. With him present, NSW were a 35 point better team on average across games 1 and 2. Moses came in for game 3 and with the same side got beaten.
To be fair to Moses, he also came into that side with a new 5/8 in Jack Wighton who was horrendous that night

Reactions: 851
Fyi

Moses on a 5 yr deal is better than klemmer and Bateman on 4 yr deals. Even at 1.4M. That’s the price you pay for losing him in the first place.

Gus has done an amazing job with the dogs to date (in 12 months!!) and all this “they’ll lose players and he’s messed up their cap” is absolute one sided WT mediocrity. He has signed who’s he’s wanted (bar MM) and hasn’t lost a player to date. And he transformed panthers by securing funding from Packer. Wish Pascoe and Lee had thought of bringing him in before Dogs did… but losers don’t win.

Also we need two more marquee players in the backs to be a top 8 eight contender - at least one in halves.

Their best Junior imo (Joey O’Neill) wont hang around now they have signed and given a top 30 spot to the young Bronco. O’Neill is better than any of our Flegg & Reggies halves. He is just one of several outstanding players they will lose.
Played with the Saukuru brothers at Westfields SHS. Well known to Wayne Lambkin and off contract at end of 2023.

Staff online

Back