Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Hastings was considered a 13 at WTs, not a half.

Brooks considered leaving but changed his mind with the new coaching team and after discussion with Marshall. Marshall wants Brooks clearly post 2023. That is in the article posted yesterday.

Just my view but I expect Doueihi to follow Hastings out the door. This suggests the club has a plan.
plan probably George Williams at 7 Brooks at 6 2024, problem is the transfer fee that would be needed for Williams

the Moses bluster will again be used to say "we tried our best".
I'm not sure what else the club was meant to do on the free agent halves front, really. It seems they had a look at Munster but that got shut down fairly quickly, and they certainly appear to have had the best possible crack at Moses. I can't immediately think of any other difference making halves on the market. Who else do you think they should have been pursuing, especially for 2023?

Had a good convo with my Storm mate who has been heavily involved in the player finances. He has no idea about the Moses decision but did say that it’s not normal for a player & his manager to meet the team they aren’t joining face to face just to say thanks but no thanks especially during the intense part of the preseason.

99% of the time the manager picks the phone up or sends an email once the player isn’t even having the discussion.

His view (he could be very wrong, just going on experience) was that if both are attending it’s to continue negotiations (could be agree to x amount and I sign) or agree to terms already discussed.

He also said if Moses has told the playing group last week / on the weekend he is staying it would be in the media & the club would leak a statement quick smart. Eels don’t mess around using the media to drum up sponsorship opportunities or their narrative (used Ice as a great example last year of this).

His view was he would be surprised if Moses left the Eels but we did put forward a very impressive pitch to Munster apparently based off what Munster said to some at the Storm - Benji was very impressive.

I agree with this. The initial comment was related to pairing Brooks with Moses as if there was some underhand deal to get Moses.

I think Brooks was close to leaving simply because the Knights were after him. I think the money he is on this season was too high to do a deal with Newcastle and by that I mean the Tigers weren't prepared to pay Brooks a chunk of salary to play in Newcastle.
Honestly I would have paid. 200-300k loading to get Brooks to Newcastle instead of Hastings.

I like Brooks, decent guy and he has good footwork and energy.

We needed a fresh start. Hastings had the team better organised and IMHO is an actual halfback. Decent but not the playmaking god some people think he is.

Now we have this weird situation where were chasing Moses, we actually sign him then we have Moses + Doueihi + Brooks all competing for 2 spots. Doubt Parra is going to want Doueihi.

Then as people suggest we sign RTS instead, our halves are the same as the halves from 2022. Although we will have a better 9 and better forward pack.

Th
Had a good convo with my Storm mate who has been heavily involved in the player finances. He has no idea about the Moses decision but did say that it’s not normal for a player & his manager to meet the team they aren’t joining face to face just to say thanks but no thanks especially during the intense part of the preseason.

99% of the time the manager picks the phone up or sends an email once the player isn’t even having the discussion.

His view (he could be very wrong, just going on experience) was that if both are attending it’s to continue negotiations (could be agree to x amount and I sign) or agree to terms already discussed.

He also said if Moses has told the playing group last week / on the weekend he is staying it would be in the media & the club would leak a statement quick smart. Eels don’t mess around using the media to drum up sponsorship opportunities or their narrative (used Ice as a great example last year of this).

His view was he would be surprised if Moses left the Eels but we did put forward a very impressive pitch to Munster apparently based off what Munster said to some at the Storm - Benji was very impress
This is my point. You don’t organise a meeting face to face to say sorry no thanks. I’m saying that there is still time to cancel the meeting.

I'm not sure what else the club was meant to do on the free agent halves front, really. It seems they had a look at Munster but that got shut down fairly quickly, and they certainly appear to have had the best possible crack at Moses. I can't immediately think of any other difference making halves on the market. Who else do you think they should have been pursuing, especially for 2023?
Maybe, I'm salty on Moses and happy to admit a bias on the whole issue.
Honestly, I'm happy to see how Brooks and Doueihi go behind a new pack before making a big play for 24. Was very critical of both in recent times but no denying the platform matters.

This is all considering this "Thursday meeting" is actually taking place....
Not suggesting it isn't (Because I don't know) But I'm not taking it as gospel.

Pom has some good mail, He's also had some not so great mail, And poor mail...

Agree. It’s all abit strange how things are being rumored atm which isn’t normal.

Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: 851
Called it as soon as he got the coaching gig....
His last NRL game will be as a Tiger, I really believe that.
He's running the drills at Training, Looks as fit as when he played.
I don't think Benji is done....
I'll bet he thinks he's certain he has another year in him...
A few games in the least.

Which will undermine everything they've been trying to sell us on him as a coach.
He almost said as much, didn't he ?
Said he could've played another year at Souths.

Body is holding up well.

No, what happened, as I said, is that you decided to believe something you read on a forum and are now annoyed because it isn't happening as advertised. If you want to believe unsubstantiated gossip that's up to you, but there is absolutely nothing about that to hold against the club. Maybe the Tigers were confident of signing Moses, maybe not. I haven't a clue, and in fact neither have you.
Having originally assumed you were intelligent enough to understand my post, especially once prompted to do so, I can now see that is not the case.
I never said the club did anything. I said the fans have been fed a narrative. I never said the egg would be on the clubs face. It will be on the faces of those who continually told the fans something completely different from what was being reported. We all know who they are.
Now if you have anymore follow up, please PM me. My intent is not to continually out you as stupid.

They should've gone hard for both Burton and Hynes

Latest posts

Staff online

Back