Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

The vast majority of people commenting on Lewis Dodd or putting his name forward, I would assume, have seen him play 1 game of football in the World Club Challenge. He did a reasonably good job.

Let's not forget, he is 21 year old, has played some half, but some hooker also, is coming off a ruptured achilles, and has played 34 games of Super League in total.

The hype train in this place at times is so hilarious it's almost concerning.

Pump thy brakes, folks. Goodness me.
Don't forget the same majority have watched Brooks in 193 games.

You guys are all thinking about this wrong we needs to speak with the NRL about creating a new TV show instead of...The farmer wants a Wife .... In true Tiger's style

The Tiger's need a halfback ...it would rate through the roof 17 episode's and one on one weekly chats in the Barber Shop you actually get to sit in Pascoes chair and chat with the boss and questions like what happens when you feed the scrum and loose the ball ?

And hard hitters like do you dive on a loose ball or just let the opposite team dive on it ?

It will be a bonanza

Sounds like Lewis Dodd is keen to play NRL and St Helens is resigned to the fact he'll likely ask for a release.

“Lewis is a great young lad and like any player does, he has the right to sign with any manager or agency as they want,’ Wellens told Love Rugby League.

“We respect those decisions, and Lewis is with us in 2023 and is contracted for 2024.

“We’ll obviously do all we can as a club to try and keep him here. He’s a player we love and value and we feel he is instrumental to our continued success.

“But also, Lewis is a grown adult who can make decisions for himself. What I do know with Lewis and his relationship with the club is that it’s a respectful one.

“So any conversations that happen, whether that’s now or three months, six or 12, they’ll be done in the right way.

“There’s nothing more to really add on the matter.”
We in with a chance? Surely the chooks would be talking to him?

As someone else pointed out he’s also been successful in Super League. Those stats may not look impressive but I’d argue that’s what we need to see from our halfback. Brooks is overplaying his hand chronically and needs to learn to sit back and be an enabler. That will also require us signing some classier player in the backs.
No argument there. I think that's a good point.

If the recruitment team can secure Williams, Wighton and release Brooks and the dough man...all will be forgiven from my end.
Still need a fullback.

Still not forgiven as far as I'm concerned. The hierarchy would screw something up even with those players being here.

Will the club openly sign another half, while they have Brooks still on their books?
Well they have to as he is off contract after this year. They can’t just leave it until the seasons finished it’ll most likely be too late to sign a half. They’ll have to sign another half during this season.

Reactions: 851
The vast majority of people commenting on Lewis Dodd or putting his name forward, I would assume, have seen him play 1 game of football in the World Club Challenge. He did a reasonably good job.

Let's not forget, he is 21 year old, has played some half, but some hooker also, is coming off a ruptured achilles, and has played 34 games of Super League in total.

The hype train in this place at times is so hilarious it's almost concerning.

Pump thy brakes, folks. Goodness me.

You say pump the breaks but not many 19yr olds actually progress to his level within 2yrs mixed in with an Achillies injury. Sure it’s ESL but it’s hard not to look at his cv to date and not be somewhat impressed.

If we are signing a player its for 3-5yrs. If he was to come would be 22 and then 27 end of the deal.

He is at the right age & skill level to be interested at the very least. Compared to what we have he would be an exciting prospect for us to get some hopes up on.

Reactions: 851
A 21yo halfback who can beat Penrith in a competitive game. That’s an upgrade in all our eyes mate. Sorry.
Gah.

Trying to respond to BAGNF05...

Look a 21 year old halfback steered his team to victory. That shows his MAX potential.
Remember Chris Sandow?
He won some games for souths. But he had a serious weakness in defence. So he gets targeted.

A 21 halfback can pull the right tricks and get ahead of a pro team, hats off to him.
We don't know what his weaknesses are?

Now we can grow him, but I am worried.. why dinnit Brooks grow here?
Seriously we had a stack of coaches working here to help him as a halfback:
Taylor, Kimmorley 2x, Benji.

We now have to cast Brooks aside. When we hire his replacement we have to ask "developmentally where did we go wrong"?

Back