Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

He's 20 (Twenty) Years old....

Flanagan signed with Easts at the age of 21 (twenty-one,) was gone in a year. What's your point?

Also sacked a premiership winning halfback for them for a bloke 5 (five,) years older than him.

In any case, I don't necessarily think that Easts dropping him means he is on the outer either. But no one at Easts is irreplaceable which is the point I was making.

if I were Sheens and Marshall, I'd be watching this Sam Walker situation very closely. he is exactly what we want in a halfback for this style of football. don't let Robinson's inability to develop halves fool you. he is a gem.
You forgot to mention the problem this club has had historically with developing halves, not to mention their pathetic recruitment and retention.

Sam Walker dropped after back to back losses.

WT persisting with Brooks after 16 straight losses.

There’s the difference.
Yes because we have joey manu to slot in at 5/8.
Having to play wakeham because AD is out, should we also drop brooks and play will smith?
Give it a rest with dropping brooks, there are no other alternatives at the club.
We have attempted to sign munster, moses and pearce, failed with all 3.
Clearly the coaching staff/club realise brooks isn't the answer but until an alternative agrees to come to the club who else can they pick

It is rather funny that a player, under contract and generally loved by his club, gets dropped for a single game and suddenly he becomes a recruitment target in some eyes.

Sam Walker will be at the Roosters for a very, very long time.
People seem to forget Mitchell was sent back to play for Wyong when he was at the Roosters, before coming back a better player.

Sure, the guy is a dead set flog and was eventually sent packing by the Roorters, but it didn't hurt his development or playing ability, and if anything, only made him more determined to become a better player.

Can't see Walker going anywhere and couldn't see his extended footballing family advising him that a move to west tigers would be a particularly smart move.

Tim Sheens: "It'll take 3 years for us to be competitive again."
Wayne Bennett "Hold my beer"

🤦It took dolphins how many years to be competitive?😢
Not knocking the Dolphins but I'd wait until they play out at least a full season before passing judgement on their 2023 results. Same with Warriors, I am entirely unconvinced that they will be able to maintain a standard that entrenches them in the Top 8.

Already for Dolphins, I admire their fight and competition, but injuries are (predictably) starting to bite and their 3 losses have come in the last 4 rounds. Also, the manner of some of those losses raises some concerns - a 38-12 loss to Dragons and 36-14 loss to Bunnies - those are routs. Tigers have only lost 1 game by a comparable margin; but we didn't get the jump on anyone in the early rounds.

It is rather funny that a player, under contract and generally loved by his club, gets dropped for a single game and suddenly he becomes a recruitment target in some eyes.

Sam Walker will be at the Roosters for a very, very long time.
You mean until the minute they decide they don't need him any more.

You mean until the minute they decide they don't need him any more.
Of course. Until then, I'd probably save the brain space.

Though it's not a Roosters-only observation, the minute any player of note is dropped, the modern-day response is 'Ooooh, would we take him at the tigers, boys? Who's his manager? Would he pair well with Brooks? He's what we need guys!! Imagine x at half, Api at hooker, if we could then x to wiggle out of his contract at x club to play 6, and we could lure x across from x club, now that's a football team!... (I know that's not your take here).

It's a little comical.

Agree with a number of things you are saying there apart from the part about extending Doueihi.

I don't think that extending Doueihi before a single game was even played was a smart move even if he didn't get injured.

I don't know what goes on in the background but I certainly wasn't aware of any other team wanting to sign him in the off season that would have caused us to make a panic one year contract extension.

I think that Sheens has alluded all along that this next couple of years was all about setting this team up for Benji in 2025.

The biggest problem is with us, the supporters, who every year during the off season go out of our way to find reasons and excuses for this team and convince ourselves that the coming season will be a better one and some of us are so delusional that we believe we can play finals footy.
Yep there’s no reason not to try and win every game and or try and make the 8 before 2025…to me it’s like sheens doesn’t care what the results are short term.

It’s first grade. Every game matters. Have some self respect.

Reactions: 851
Agree about it seeming like Sheens not caring about short term results or at the very least he tries to give that impression because he has no idea what to do to get the team a win.

Going on about 3 year plans that seem to be 3 years at the beginning of each year and building for when Benji takes over seem like pretty convenient ways to deflect the criticisms over our failure to win games.

Yep there’s no reason not to try and win every game and or try and make the 8 before 2025…to me it’s like sheens doesn’t care what the results are short term.

Nice to be in a position to treat every game like a trial when your position is not affected by results.

I'm not so sure that they don't care.

I think there are two compounding issues that affected us before a ball was kicked in 2023. The first was the cost to unload Brooks, and the second the belief that AD would come good after a full offseason to partner Brooks who would be awoken from his slumber because he would be playing behind a quality pack of forwards. They simply stuffed up their assessment of AD and Brooks.

Those two decisions have crippled us for 23; however, are a blessing for 24 (less AD being out for the season). It means:

1. We are in the market for an NRL quality half that can drive us around the park.
2. The $ we saved on Brooks in 23 was spent on developing the forward pack.
3. Most of our deadwood is off contract next season - we have an opportunity to buy in some quality forwards to replace our plodders and some halves and at least a strike centre to compliment Tupou and "touch wood" Bula.

Medically retire AD and I think we are in a great position to recruit the players we need.

Will the players we need come? That is a different story.

Last edited:
Of course. Until then, I'd probably save the brain space.

Though it's not a Roosters-only observation, the minute any player of note is dropped, the modern-day response is 'Ooooh, would we take him at the tigers, boys? Who's his manager? Would he pair well with Brooks? He's what we need guys!! Imagine x at half, Api at hooker, if we could then x to wiggle out of his contract at x club to play 6, and we could lure x across from x club, now that's a football team!... (I know that's not your take here).

It's a little comical.
I don't blame any Wests fan for indulging in desperate fantasy at the moment. It's preferable to the reality.

Centers ! We need centers
Weve now 3 fullbacks Bula ,Staines and Laurie
Weve got many wingers Nofoaloma ,Tupou , Naden ,Toa and Staines was a winger when he came to us as were Naden and Toa
Centers we don't have any ( no Olam / Reimis , Farnworth/ Staggs , Parker/Harper , Ramien /Talakai etc etc )
Personally I think Brooks would be a better center than a halfback who is a decision maker
Halfs don't think it matters whos 6 or 7
Weve got Brooks ,Wakeham and we did have Douehi
Forwards we are covered there
Where are we going to find 2 centers ,Kepoa is a good aggressive 2nd row or bench utility
If we don't have any future top class centers in Cup or Flegg then find them from the top 2 or 3 Nsw cup sides or Qld cup . I mean Poach them
Of course we need a playmaker but Sheens is sticking with Brooks regardless
I want 2 class centers

I'm not so sure that they don't care.

I think there are two compounding issues that affected us before a ball was kicked in 2023. The first was the cost to unload Brooks, and the second the belief that AD would come good after a full offseason to partner Brooks who would be awoken from his slumber because he would be playing behind a quality pack of forwards simply stuffed up their assessment of AD and Brooks.

Those two decisions have crippled us for 23; however, are a blessing for 24 (less AD being out for the season). It means:

1. We are in the market for an NRL quality half that can drive us around the park.
2. The $ we saved on Brooks in 23 was spent on developing the forward pack.
3. Most of our deadwood is off contract next season - we have an opportunity to buy in some quality forwards to replace our plodders and some halves and at least a strike centre to compliment Tupou and "touch wood" Bula.

Medically retire AD and I think we are in a great position to recruit the players we need.

Will the players we need come? That is a different story.
The negative is the season is lost, the positive is now the club has a definitive direction moving forward, they are realising Brooks can't lead them to the promised land and I can't see them building the team around him anymore.

The negative is the season is lost, the positive is now the club has a definitive direction moving forward, they are realising Brooks can't lead them to the promised land and I can't see them building the team around him anymore.
Inexcusable they’ve taken this long to figure the latter out with so many years in the wilderness because of it.

6. Josh Schuster
7. Jonah Pezet

This is what we should be hunting for with both Brooks & Laurie freeing up about $1.5 million in open salary next year.

I don't believe any report about Pezet telling his manager to not listen to any offers from NRL clubs it doesn't make sense and would be very irresponsible if his manager was to do so - both Munster and Hughes are 28.... he isn't taking there spot for at least 6 years as both have signed long term deals. Also Munster isn't going tp fullback, as all reports suggest Papenhyzen will be back.

I believe maybe he's referring to allowing himself to finish this season in the Melbourne system for the reminder of the year to gain some more experience within that culture than look at exploring his options in 2024 for a full time gig. We should be in his ear now and letting him know the option is there and throw him a good 500-600k deal, similar to what the dogs did with Burton while he was on the fringe of making FG at Penrith and that has worked out pretty good for them.

He's the best up and coming 7 in the league - Sheens and Bellamy have a very good relationship and I believe Craig will speak highly if Pezet was to consult him about the move. On top of that we have Nofa who apparently both parties are happy for a reunion. Whilst as a young half the potential to play under Benji, with the forward pack we have would be encouraging as much as the media are trying to say otherwise.

On the other hand with Schuster, I posted on here about a week ago that I heard Benji wants Schuster badly and will table an offer come November 1st this year. Apparently we're a much better chance than we think as he was a massive Tigers/Benji fan growing up and was close to coming during his last contract negotiations plus Manly have Latu Fainu they're apparently pondering could take Schuster spot in 2 years time - hence the recent contract he signed expiring in 2024 when they believe Fainu will be ready.

Worst case, both Amone and O'sulivan are good back options.

We need to be aggressive.

Back