Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Then the Player's Association will complain about restriction of trade etc etc. Same reason they'll never agree to a draft. The salary cap was never introduced to spread the talent across the comp, it was purely brought in at the time to stop clubs spending themselves into oblivion and going broke.
It’s hard to argue it doesn’t help spread the talent.

Look at how many good players left the 2 grand final teams last year

Not really, the N.R.L could very easily say you've been offered 1 mil by Canberra so that's your market value, so for South's to sign you that's what it'll take.
The NRL are as weak as piss, and clearly favour certain clubs over others, the salary cap as a catalyst to even out the talent between all the clubs is a total wank

For anyone that watches cup and flegg
Of the halves we have in the ranks which ones are a controlling half and what ages are they. From reading on here kade hill sounds like he has it but people seem worried about his size and is 21 now ( read on here so might be wrong) so if he’s not close chances are his opportunity is gone
Large while sounds gifted and might debut young as some predict doesn’t sound like a controlling half
If we don’t get anyone from outside in the interim and if brooks,Wakeham and Laurie don’t resign which one would you promote for next year

Then the Player's Association will complain about restriction of trade etc etc. Same reason they'll never agree to a draft. The salary cap was never introduced to spread the talent across the comp, it was purely brought in at the time to stop clubs spending themselves into oblivion and going broke.
Agreed, though when it was planned out it was always done around the assumption that there would be a player draft, it was the draft that was being relied upon to spread the talent, until Hill challenged it in the supreme court, so now all there is to spread the talent is the cap.

The NRL are as weak as piss, and clearly favour certain clubs over others, the salary cap as a catalyst to even out the talent between all the clubs is a total wank
I couldn't agree more, it needs a massive overhaul and the clowns in the N.R.L to actually enforce it. Problem is its all the comp has atm as a tool to even attempt to even the playing talent.

If Jack Wighton’s rep position is centre and that’s where he performs the best is his value as a centre really at 1m? He is a great player but probably not a great 5/8. From memory Val Holmes and Manu are the highest paid centres and would be on a bit more than $800,000 a season. So about $800,000 for Wighton would be fair in my opinion. Where they fit him in is the question, they have a mediocre left backrower, could Jack play there?

I believe the nrl is 1 of the closest competitions in the world to say the cap doesn’t work is nonsense. We got the spoon and signed 1 of the best hookers in the comp and 1 of the best second rowers in the comp

It’s the clubs fault we are sitting on the bottom of the table not the Salary caps fault

I’ve looked at teams like the
Roosters in the past and believed they were paying players under the table but I doubt they are. Players want to win games so they will take abit of a pay cut to go to a club were there more likely to win. You can’t force a player to sign some 1 where because they have the highest bid. It’s up to the lower clubs to be better

Don't mind Shuster as a 13.

Not fussed on Amone - seems like a stooge.
No thanks to Schuster. We've had too many bludgers here over the years.

He's already overweight and his interest appears to wane at a club that could make the eight, imagine if he landed a 3-4 year rich deal here? He'd blow out and stink the place up.

No thanks to Schuster. We've had too many bludgers here over the years.

He's already overweight and his interest appears to wane at a club that could make the eight, imagine if he landed a 3-4 year rich deal here? He'd blow out and stink the place up.
If benji was his idol growing up I doubt he would want to let down his hero

For anyone that watches cup and flegg
Of the halves we have in the ranks which ones are a controlling half and what ages are they. From reading on here kade hill sounds like he has it but people seem worried about his size and is 21 now ( read on here so might be wrong) so if he’s not close chances are his opportunity is gone
Large while sounds gifted and might debut young as some predict doesn’t sound like a controlling half
If we don’t get anyone from outside in the interim and if brooks,Wakeham and Laurie don’t resign which one would you promote for next year
Hill seems to play a smiler style to Kyle Flanagan, but he’s far more slightly built and kicking game not as good.
Large seems to be a very similar style player to Dylan Brown, very strong and fast with some play making skills, but not a natural game controller.
Camroux has all the tools you want to be a good halfback, he’s a good natural onfield talker/communicator, he’s tall, fast, has a strong physique and has a big boot.
Something is not quite clicking with him as he’s not regularly playing anywhere near the best of his ability.
Lack of aggression and lack of confidence seems to be the problem, you would hope a coach will dig deeper into what is holding him back and hopefully get the best out of him.

Because it's taking the piss out of the cap, iv got no problem with him going to south's, I have a problem with them being able to sign him for 300k less than another club that wants him. The cap is supposed to help spread the talent.
No. The cap is meant to help clubs protect themselves... So they say

I believe the nrl is 1 of the closest competitions in the world to say the cap doesn’t work is nonsense. We got the spoon and signed 1 of the best hookers in the comp and 1 of the best second rowers in the comp

It’s the clubs fault we are sitting on the bottom of the table not the Salary caps fault

Roosters in the past and believed they were paying players under the table but I doubt they are. Players want to win games so they will take abit of a pay cut to go to a club were there more likely to win. You can’t force a player to sign some 1 where because they have the highest bid. It’s up to the lower clubs to be better

This is the key issue. It's a cultural thing and a generational thing. There is no shame anymore with taking the easy road and the rewards that come with that don't seem to be any less sweet to the players who take this approach.

It's why the best clubs can stockpile talent. It's why kids largely only support winning teams. And nothing is done about it. There is no current counter-narrative on loyalty, on taking the road less travelled, on taking on the challenge of turning around a struggling club. The underdog story, in many ways, is dying.

The closest thing we have, ironically, is from Penrith, who are so often accused, rightly so often, of being arrogant, yet seem to play for a region, the jersey and have, over the last 5 years, taken a perennially ok team to the penthouse by dedicating themselves to the transformation of that club, not quick, easy, cheap success.

Ironically also, is the fact that even that team has been pilfered and picked apart by cap pressure.

The Roosters do it well but dont kid yourself that the salary cap doesnt work to their advantage and helps them retain a nucleus of top quality players.
The Roosters have been camped at the top of the competition for an age and will remain there only impacted by injury toll or off field incidents. They're rebuild is getting from top 4 to winning a comp. They have some of the wealthiest business people on their board who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo just the way it is.

Hill seems to play a smiler style to Kyle Flanagan, but he’s far more slightly built and kicking game not as good.
Large seems to be a very similar style player to Dylan Brown, very strong and fast with some play making skills, but not a natural game controller.
Camroux has all the tools you want to be a good halfback, he’s a good natural onfield talker/communicator, he’s tall, fast, has a strong physique and has a big boot.
Something is not quite clicking with him as he’s not regularly playing anywhere near the best of his ability.
Lack of aggression and lack of confidence seems to be the problem, you would hope a coach will dig deeper into what is holding him back and hopefully get the best out of him.
Pretty spot on, Large is a lot like Dylan Brown, though he doesn’t run a lot or often. But certainly the temperament matches.
Camoux your right has the potential and fundamental skills to be anything, he is a halfback in a bit of a 5/8s body but I like the big halves as long as they can move agilely enough.

No. The cap is meant to help clubs protect themselves... So they say
Doesn't stop the clubs spending themselves stupid away from players salaries. They can still run themselves broke by other means. In saying this, none of the clubs have gone broke yet, they always manage to find a way.

I'd just question how Souths can afford to have Walker, Mitchell, Murray, Cook, Graham, Johnson, Burgess, Arrow and Koloamatangi - and then add a superstar like Wighton.

Seems a few clubs have salary sombreros.
You would think that they will have to let one or two go to get Jack on board but to be fair they have developed pretty much all of those players, bar Mitchell and Arrow, bit easier to manage the cap when they are already in the team. He does seem like a strange aquisition for them though, they have alot of talent in their starting 13 but are pretty slim on forward depth.

Latest posts

Members online

Back