Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

He understands that, but you're ignoring the purpose of this from a Wests perspective.

It may (minorly) weaken our squad in the now, but it vastly strengthens our cap situation now and into the future, which is the purpose.

The discussion about the gap between Joffa and his likely long-term replacement in Blore in open for debate, but I think that gap is being overblown, as is the point as to whether we really lose that much on the field at all, considering Joe's role this year from the bench.

'strengthens our competitors team'

In my opinion, if you wanna talk bad business, holding an inflated bench player contract, simply to spite another team (and in the process eating your own cap away) is the very definition of bad business.

I love Joffa and all he brought to the club, but this situation is mutually beneficial, whether people agree with it or not.
Agree with everything you posted, the issue the club has though is we can't find anyone to take the cap money before we let Joffa go. If results improve, then at some stage players would be more likely to join, but as of now we just can't seem to spend our cap.

He understands that, but you're ignoring the purpose of this from a Wests perspective.

It may (minorly) weaken our squad in the now, but it vastly strengthens our cap situation now and into the future, which is the purpose.

The discussion about the gap between Joffa and his likely long-term replacement in Blore in open for debate, but I think that gap is being overblown, as is the point as to whether we really lose that much on the field at all, considering Joe's role this year from the bench.

'strengthens our competitors team'

In my opinion, if you wanna talk bad business, holding an inflated bench player contract, simply to spite another team (and in the process eating your own cap away) is the very definition of bad business.

I love Joffa and all he brought to the club, but this situation is mutually beneficial, whether people agree with it or not.

I agree - I like Joe too, but I don't think we lose that much that we can't replace with a younger player. We also need to keep Tupou, Bula, Toa, Matamua, James...There's also guys in Flegg that will be fed in to first grade over the next 1-2 years.

I feel for Joe though as he didn't really get a chance to feel success at the Tigers.

I like Charlie, But don't see a spot for him moving forward - He won't stay to play ressies....
Seems a lot here forgetting we also have Big Jimmy on the books next year at wing,

He could be anything....
Sheens always likes to carry a utility back like Fitzhenry, reckon Staines at some stage could fill that spot for us, between him and Laurie I'd prefer Staines.

Someone re signed him at the end of last season till 2025 mid season in - gone. How can you trust that anyone is capable of forward thinking when managing the roster based on the actions of this week. They are either all on the same page or they are not.
To be fair to the club Joe was extended before we picked up our top line forwards in Klemmer, Bateman and Paps was still undecided. I think it was a smart move because if we didn't get them we had Joe locked in as a capable starter. 600k for a bench forward is OK but these funds could be spent on extending the young guns like Bula, tupou etc..

Joe will be playing bench for the Eels when they're full strength.

End of the day he went for a longer contract.

The money we get will go to Tupou, Uto and hopefully a class player.

Brooks extension FOR LIFE!

Agree with everything you posted, the issue the club has though is we can't find anyone to take the cap money before we let Joffa go. If results improve, then at some stage players would be more likely to join, but as of now we just can't seem to spend our cap.
Yeh, for sure, plus the market cupboard is relatively bare.

Unfortunately in NRL world, sometimes that's the case with the market. We're best in those times to front-load and upgrade and extend.

In some ways, we're really lucky to have plenty of coin to upgrade and extend at a time when our best juniors are coming on strong; Bula, Tupou, Pole, etc.

I like Charlie, But don't see a spot for him moving forward - He won't stay to play ressies....
Seems a lot here forgetting we also have Big Jimmy on the books next year at wing,

He could be anything....
Ngutlik will be on the comeback trail given he did his ACL in the Cup trial in Feb, so will probably just come out of rehab by the time preseason rolls around in November. he's a long way away from regular footy in Cup, let alone first grade.

a 2-year contract for Staines as the backup outside back I think is a good shout. is there anywhere that will let him play regular first grade on the wing or as second string fullback?

Ngutlik will be on the comeback trail given he did his ACL in the Cup trial in Feb, so will probably just come out of rehab by the time preseason rolls around in November. he's a long way away from regular footy in Cup, let alone first grade.

a 2-year contract for Staines as the backup outside back I think is a good shout. is there anywhere that will let him play regular first grade on the wing or as second string fullback?
Far be it from me to 'play the man' in discussions, but I look forward to seeing your posts @jrtiger .

Once again, you're on the money.

Far be it from me to 'play the man' in discussions, but I look forward to seeing your posts @jrtiger .

Once again, you're on the money.
too kind mate. feel similar about yours as well. makes for excellent discussion.

I'm hoping Charlie is locked up during this period where we look to retain. he's more than earnt it and ensures that we keep him away from rival clubs.

Yeh, for sure, plus the market cupboard is relatively bare.

Unfortunately in NRL world, sometimes that's the case with the market. We're best in those times to front-load and upgrade and extend.

In some ways, we're really lucky to have plenty of coin to upgrade and extend at a time when our best juniors are coming on strong; Bula, Tupou, Pole, etc.
Yeah front loading seems to be the way to go atm, the silly thing under the cap is all clubs must spent 95 percent of the cap on the squad every year. If they didn't need to then struggling clubs could build war chests over a few seasons then hit the market hard in one season to build a good roster, but atm we have to spend 95 percent on a squad that might not be worth it.

Anyone know how both Jordan Miller and Tallyn Da Silva are tracking so far?

Haven't watched much junior football this year but these two seemed to be our most promising prospects, pretty curious to how they're going if anyone can fill me in.

Long way off cup level?
Doubtful....

Played well when he made the step up late last year (In a crap side)
And looked to be playing against children in Massey prior to that.

As I said, Staines won't sign on here to play Reserve Grade....
You seem to think he will or should (Or might) - I disagree.
He might at the Roosters or back at the Panthers, But not here he won't...

Ngutlik should be back before November I'd imagine, Should get a full pre-season with 1sts.
Like I said, He could be anything...
Shown more promise than at least half a dozen young blokes listed on the site.

Edit: His physical presence out wide alone would be enormous....
We really don't need another Koroibete or JAC situation (Do we?)

Last edited:
Aren't we going to be spending cap on critical upgrades to Bula, Tupou, maybe Stefano. Seems a better spend of the money over next 2 years. We have a lot of experience in the forwards , happy to see Joffa move on to more success personally.

Long way off cup level?
Doubtful....

Played well when he made the step up late last year (In a crap side)
And looked to be playing against children in Massey prior to that.

As I said, Staines won't sign on here to play Reserve Grade....
You seem to think he will or should (Or might) - I disagree.
He might at the Roosters or back at the Panthers, But not here he won't...

Ngutlik should be back before November I'd imagine, Should get a full pre-season with 1sts.
Like I said, He could be anything...
Shown more promise than at least half a dozen young blokes listed on the site.
I was looking forward to seeing him debut this year it’s a shame that he’s injured

So does anyone know if the tiger's are paying any of ofas contract while at parra next couple of years???

Didn't he suffer an ACL tear or a similarly bad injury?

Good to see you around again and I trust that you are well.
I was looking forward to seeing him debut this year it’s a shame that he’s injured

ACL in January....

I was pumped when I saw him in Lower Grades - The WC only heightened that....
He's raw (Sure) But he has everything needed and more to be a top level winger.

Back