Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Based on Bateman looking like he wanted to cave Suli's face in last night in the England vs Tonga match, I don't think Suli will be a popular signing from a player's perspective
What happens on the field stays on the field. JWH and Spencer Leniu will be teammates next year if you remember what happened with them this year. Leniu had to be held back

I was thinking that surely Noffa doesn't see out his contract with us. Wouldn't be surprised if he spends plenty of time in reserves in 2024. No NRL club will pick him up and maybe an ESL relationship beckons from 2025 so he can squeeze another multi-year contract.

Nofa's contract runs out at the end of 2025 and by all acounts he is on good money,i can't see him giving that up to play a 2-3 year contract in the ESL for a quarter of the money.That is all on our chairman for signing him for too long and i don't mind Nofa at all because he gets more blame than he should on here.

Surely O Large and Makasini are no chance to sign with rugby. Just reading the DT report today of their Waratahs game against the Force which they won 94-19, 59 points coming in the first half. What a shithouse game.
An amazing first half purple patch saw five different players score, a massive 59 points racked up, a rising star score a treble and confirmed the NSW Waratahs Under 16s side as one of the best teams of teenagers in Australian sport.

The nine-try first half frenzy caught all by surprise as the Waratahs brushed aside Western Force to head into next Sunday’s grand final of the Super Rugby U16s series as firm favourites.

Incredibly the Waratahs ended up finishing just six points shy of a ton, winning the match 94-19 with 14 tries to three ahead of their grand final rematch against the Queensland Reds next Sunday in Canberra.

“Happy with that aspect, 14 tries, but there could have been a bit more clinical in the back end,’’ said coach Paul Cividin.

“But we are heading in the right direction for next week but still need a better performance.’’
Cividin praised the performance of inspirational captain Onitoni Large in the match.
“He was fantastic, he just moves so well,’’ he said.
“He’s physically large but also quick which makes him very difficult to defend.
“But I think one to 15 they were consistent.’’

Lead by Large (Campbelltown Harlequins, The Scots College), the young Tahs have navigated the preliminary season undefeated for the second year running, producing their most consummate performance a week out from the season decider.

Western Force could find no answer to the fired-up Waratahs with young Joeys gun Matt Gough, from the Beecroft Barbarians, kicking off proceedings with two tries within the space of the opening six minutes. He scored a third in the second half.

Lindfield junior and Riverview student Angus Grover then chipped in with his own back to back tries before snaring his triple just before half time.

Rex Bassingthwaighte from the Dubbo Roos and Shore was another player to ignite the first half with his pair of tries with Large and Heamasi Makasini from the Randwick Warriors and Newington College also scoring in the first half.

With a raft of changes made during the break, Dural junior rugby player and Barker student Keegan Daly got the Tahs back on the scoreboard right after halftime before St Ignatius student Tom Hartman (Mosman Whales) snared has sixth for the season and first for the match top put the Tahs up 73-0 with some help from the boot of Jonty Fowler (Lindfield Juniors and St Joseph’s College.

Reilly Caswell (Lindfield Rugby, Knox Grammar) then scored his side’s 12th try as the Waratahs romped away to a 80-0 lead.

James Finegan capped off an outstanding game with a late try with Gough ending the match with his third.

Jonty Fowler nailed seven from nine conversions with Harrison Dene perfect with his five attempts.

The Force score all their tries in the second half with Ezejiel Jackson scoring a try and converting two as a standout for Force.

Nofa's contract runs out at the end of 2025 and by all acounts he is on good money,i can't see him giving that up to play a 2-3 year contract in the ESL for a quarter of the money.That is all on our chairman for signing him for too long and i don't mind Nofa at all because he gets more blame than he should on here.
Definitely think we would have to pay freight for 2025 but hopefully can free up the top 30 spot.

An amazing first half purple patch saw five different players score, a massive 59 points racked up, a rising star score a treble and confirmed the NSW Waratahs Under 16s side as one of the best teams of teenagers in Australian sport.

The nine-try first half frenzy caught all by surprise as the Waratahs brushed aside Western Force to head into next Sunday’s grand final of the Super Rugby U16s series as firm favourites.

Incredibly the Waratahs ended up finishing just six points shy of a ton, winning the match 94-19 with 14 tries to three ahead of their grand final rematch against the Queensland Reds next Sunday in Canberra.

“Happy with that aspect, 14 tries, but there could have been a bit more clinical in the back end,’’ said coach Paul Cividin.

“But we are heading in the right direction for next week but still need a better performance.’’
Cividin praised the performance of inspirational captain Onitoni Large in the match.
“He was fantastic, he just moves so well,’’ he said.
“He’s physically large but also quick which makes him very difficult to defend.
“But I think one to 15 they were consistent.’’

Lead by Large (Campbelltown Harlequins, The Scots College), the young Tahs have navigated the preliminary season undefeated for the second year running, producing their most consummate performance a week out from the season decider.

Western Force could find no answer to the fired-up Waratahs with young Joeys gun Matt Gough, from the Beecroft Barbarians, kicking off proceedings with two tries within the space of the opening six minutes. He scored a third in the second half.

Lindfield junior and Riverview student Angus Grover then chipped in with his own back to back tries before snaring his triple just before half time.

Rex Bassingthwaighte from the Dubbo Roos and Shore was another player to ignite the first half with his pair of tries with Large and Heamasi Makasini from the Randwick Warriors and Newington College also scoring in the first half.

With a raft of changes made during the break, Dural junior rugby player and Barker student Keegan Daly got the Tahs back on the scoreboard right after halftime before St Ignatius student Tom Hartman (Mosman Whales) snared has sixth for the season and first for the match top put the Tahs up 73-0 with some help from the boot of Jonty Fowler (Lindfield Juniors and St Joseph’s College.

Reilly Caswell (Lindfield Rugby, Knox Grammar) then scored his side’s 12th try as the Waratahs romped away to a 80-0 lead.

James Finegan capped off an outstanding game with a late try with Gough ending the match with his third.

Jonty Fowler nailed seven from nine conversions with Harrison Dene perfect with his five attempts.

The Force score all their tries in the second half with Ezejiel Jackson scoring a try and converting two as a standout for Force.
I know some people say it’s just schoolboy rugby, but some of the highlights I’ve seen of Onitoni Large, he looks to be a once in a generation talent who looks highly likely to be ready to be playing at the top level, whether it be league or union by the time he’s 18.
Let’s hope we can show some improvement next season and let’s hope Benji can weave a bit of magic to help us sign Onitoni up long term.
If we are thinking about even going close to emulating the junior pathway talent that the Panthers have produced, Onitoni and Heamasi are vital.

Based on Bateman looking like he wanted to cave Suli's face in last night in the England vs Tonga match, I don't think Suli will be a popular signing from a player's perspective
Harry Newman was getting in his face as well which I loved. I wonder if Bateman and Harry's former teammate at Leeds Aidan Sezer can get in his ear about coming to the Tigers in 2025. Contracted for 2024 and has said he'd been keen for an NRL move. Very good up-and-coming centre.

Harry Newman was getting in his face as well which I loved. I wonder if Bateman and Harry's former teammate at Leeds Aidan Sezer can get in his ear about coming to the Tigers in 2025. Contracted for 2024 and has said he'd been keen for an NRL move. Very good up-and-coming centre.
When I think of English centres, I can't get Oliver Gildart's lacklustre time with us out of my head.

I was thinking that surely Noffa doesn't see out his contract with us. Wouldn't be surprised if he spends plenty of time in reserves in 2024. No NRL club will pick him up and maybe an ESL relationship beckons from 2025 so he can squeeze another multi-year contract.
Why not let Noffa just ride out his career in Reserve grade till ESL pick him up or he retires?

Seriously his contract is 500k, no team is going to take him unless he is front loaded by us.
Even then, as long as Noffa doesn't disrupt training and trains hard he can be the Bar for 'winger'. Heck if a Winger can't do better then Noffa they shouldn't be playing.

I am against 'depth' but Noffa fits the bill for back depth. Can play wing, would struggle at Center/Fullback but could at a stretch if Bula/etc gets injured. I just can't see any team paying 300k for Noffa and if were going to pay for his contract so he can pay elsewhere, why spend more then 100k?

The paperweight deal Lee H signed was a horrible deal. Heck, if there are calls to fire the board, that deal is one reason alone. We signed it though, why not just honour it and have Noffa be a 1 club player.

When I think of English centres, I can't get Oliver Gildart's lacklustre time with us out of my head.

You can not use Gildart as an example as he was a dud most of the time over there as well even though he had played for England.I am sure that there are players over there that could make it here but possibly not one of the ones who appear obvious,it is generally a slower game with weaker defence but i am sure there a few diamonds amongst their juniors .Young is a perfect example of a player who just needed to be given a chance here.

You can not use Gildart as an example as he was a dud most of the time over there as well even though he had played for England.I am sure that there are players over there that could make it here but possibly not one of the ones who appear obvious,it is generally a slower game with weaker defence but i am sure there a few diamonds amongst their juniors .Young is a perfect example of a player who just needed to be given a chance here.
And what about Farnsworth, quite a pick up by the Dolphins yet when he started he didn’t show all that much.

I just can't get behind the Olam for Blore swap. Olam too close to the end of his career and Blore to close to properly starting his. If we could swap AJ or Tumeth instead I'd be all for it.

Apparently storm are after a tough front rower. Not many around for next year.

If the rumours are true- looks like the club & fans see the same issues.

Centres & wingers abound in the rumours now- Declan Casey & Alex Lobb are both likely KOE type signings, but provide depth & get an opportunity to push for better at this club.

The rugby kid Alaimalo looks good- big, elusive, seems to have a consistant pace & can break tackles. You'd expect he would be looked at as a Top 30 if he was to come over. Most likely a winger that can play fullback, yeah?

Staines- if what I hear is right- is still in discussions. Then the recent JAC rumours floating as well.

Then we have Olam, Best (2025) & Suli on the radar as well.

There's a lot of smoke on Olam for a little while now, and Blore has been named a few times as the target. This could be a pretty strong rumour.

I have little doubt there are still moves to be made. Simpkin is still one of the most likely to move on. I look at the rosters & I think Parramatta makes the most immediate sense. Maybe the Dragons. Maybe even the Roosters. Blore is trade bait for both the Storm & Bulldogs apparently.

If Blore goes for Olam, Simpkin moves on Staines re-signed, we only need to move one player on to get Benji's rugby guy. I'd say the outside backs would be addressed with those 3 moves.

Wasn't there a small link with Tumeth to Souths at one point? Could be the 3rd guy to move.

Then to target Best & Luia in 2025...
Not so fast, Chad!!
Where does that leave Hymel Hunt?

You are right that there will be a few diamonds in there. But they need to be willing to come over and we need to pick the right ones. We would need to be getting a Dom Young or Farnworth type impact instead of a Gildart, Tomkins, Hall one.

Back