Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Morris never impressed me as a coach. He definitely got booted too soon but they could've done better than they did under him. 6 wins out of 20 games last year is not overly impressive

Flanagan is the most proven head coach but he's the cause of a lot of drama and hasn't coached in a while. Realistically we would have to look at elite assistant coaches who want the opportunity of coaching first grade but why sacrifice your career by coming here? Our options for a coach are very slim if we look to replace Madge.

@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395558) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395556) said:
@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395554) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395552) said:
@hsvjones said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395536) said:
I just watched this 6min clip on NRL on Nine 100% footy and just makes me feel sick..
(The insane Premiership-winning team that deserted the tigers is what the article is called)
Gallen and Gus were the main talkers and just listening to them basically say we are the most least preferred club to players and we are in a world of pain... But I can only agree with them because its true... hard to say but it's true.
Our roster is bog average and we CANNOT attract quality players like every other club so something has to change and change urgently.

I understand we are building from the ground up and foundations have been set but at the end of the day a footy club is based on on field results and we clearly lack them.

If the perception is no one wants to come here what do we do to change this as it is a MASSIVE problem.. Even the 2 teams below us on the ladder can attract Top Line players.. I have been on board with Madge and co for a while now but when you hear straight from Ex-players mouths that no one wants to come here, you need to take notice as they are not gaining anything out of there comments.

Do we change coaches ?
Do we buy let Sheens take over recruitment?
Do we need to replace some of the top dogs?

IDK but we sure need some positive news ASAP. :man-shrugging:

Although the board are one of the main issues, they can't be removed. We are pretty much at rock bottom and the only way forward imo is a thorough clean out.

Who remains?

Hartigan is a must keep. I feel like Hartigan is Billy Beane in Moneyball. Putting the best team together he can but getting screwed over by the A's managers selections and game plan.
Sheens will be crucial to any chance we have in success

Of the players? Doueihi, Laurie, Stefano, Simpkin, Seyfarth form a core of young players who seem to give a crap that we can build around. They stay

Who goes?
Pascoe has to go. Tiny profits aside, he's a dud.
Madge obviously. He's a dud.
All players not mentioned above.

Bring on a CEO with some gravitas, and bring on a coach and a bunch of good assistants who understand rugby league in 2021.

Completely agree but what coach is available that can help us ? Morris? The worst part for us is in theory it’s an easy fix but to actually make it happen is damn near impossible hence the reason we still have madge and Pascoe and a big average playing group

I believe John Morris and Sheens together would see an almost immediate improvement.

Do u see Morris wanting to come here and ruin whatever respect he has in the coaching world though that’s the big question! I strongly believe we can become a great club but not a lot of coaches/players want to come and ruin there careers. It’s hard to admit that this club I’ve loved forever is in a position where I can truly say we are in all sorts but it’s true. Jesus himself would struggle to get us out of the rut we have been in for the past 10 years!!

I think Morris would come here for sure. He knows Sheens, and I believe they'd work well together. It would be worth asking the question.

@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395569) said:
Morris never impressed me as a coach. He definitely got booted too soon but they could've done better than they did under him. 6 wins out of 20 games last year is not overly impressive

Flanagan is the most proven head coach but he's the cause of a lot of drama and hasn't coached in a while. Realistically we would have to look at elite assistant coaches who want the opportunity of coaching first grade but why sacrifice your career by coming here? Our options for a coach are very slim if we look to replace Madge.

Last year he was 10 wins 10 losses. Made the top 8.

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395574) said:

I was gonna say he definitely won more than 6 games. Not to mention the players loved him. Wonder how many of our players “love” playing under madge

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395544) said:
I love brooks but we all need to move on. Bring in Pearce for 2 or 3 years and develop another half. Brooks is a confidence player who needs to play in a strong team or in a weak comp (super league).

That doesn't sound as bad as people think and the other day I would of called you mad.
however he still has plenty left in the tank and can control a game. He also has the contacts in the game to help get other players to join. we cannot go any worse.

True, for some reason the ladder I was looking at wasn't showing the full seasons results - I still don't think sharks were a great team though. Not saying we shouldn't have a go at him, he'd make a really good assistant too if that's an option but they had a really easy draw and never beat anyone of note really and had a pretty good squad.

I think the fact there's no great coaches available will keep Madge around for next year, maybe not the whole season but at least for the start.

@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395582) said:

True, for some reason the ladder I was looking at wasn't showing the full seasons results - I still don't think sharks were a great team though. Not saying we shouldn't have a go at him, he'd make a really good assistant too if that's an option but they had a really easy draw and never beat anyone of note really and had a pretty good squad.

I think the fact there's no great coaches available will keep Madge around for next year, maybe not the whole season but at least for the start.

Things happen pretty quickly in rugby league. A couple more blow outs and hell be gonski i reckon.

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395586) said:

Things happen pretty quickly in rugby league. A couple more blow outs and hell be gonski i reckon.

Be interesting to see what happens. After we play Souths we play a lot of easier teams so that might help him, if we start getting flogged by then though who knows.

Think building a better roster is the area of most concern and we are slowly improving in that area, young guys will keep improving and who knows how those English fellas will do. Hartigan is a big help in that regard

But that could cause major issues as Madge has a lot of cap space to work with at the start of the season. If you let him pick a bunch of players and then he gets sacked halfway through, the next coach is stuck with players Maguire has signed to long term deals that the next manager might not want

@yeahcaz said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395592) said:

But that could cause major issues as Madge has a lot of cap space to work with at the start of the season. If you let him pick a bunch of players and then he gets sacked halfway through, the next coach is stuck with players Maguire has signed to long term deals that the next manager might not want

If hartigan has the final word on recruitment that will solve the issue - he won't be getting sacked along with Madge so he can decide whether a signing will benefit the future of the club regardless of coach. Hartigan seems a good judge of what the club needs and won't pay overs or sign anyone on overly long deals.

We can all agree the weekend was not acceptable but why are we getting the crap kicked out of us but nothing about the titans?
The sea-eagles scored 48 points in 1 half more than the storm scored on us.
The titans are meant to be a top 4 side compare their team to ours,
phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tino-faasuamaleaui QLD Rep/Aus Rep
david-fifita QLD Rep/Aus Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395594) said:

If hartigan has the final word on recruitment that will solve the issue - he won't be getting sacked along with Madge so he can decide whether a signing will benefit the future of the club regardless of coach. Hartigan seems a good judge of what the club needs and won't pay overs or sign anyone on overly long deals.

You think so I think the players have been duds

@f-o-s-0 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395595) said:
We can all agree the weekend was not acceptable but why are we getting the crap kicked out of us but nothing about the titans?
phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

No one thinks Gold Coast will be top 4, ever. There was top 8 rumblings at the beginning of the year but that’s it. Plus the Titans actually played for one half and did their scoring against 13 men. There’s really no comparison

phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

spot on.

But I could be a Qld rep at this point hahahahaha

@newtown said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395567) said:
Why all this talk about a new coach? Maguire will not walk away from his $500,000 per year contract. Besides that Lee M has stated that Maguire is staying at least until his contract time is completed.

Just discussing mate not saying he’s guna leave or get the sack. Just wishful thinking that we can get out of this and what it would take really.

phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

because "hAve yOu sEEn hoW mAnY pLayErs the TiGeRs lEt gO?"

We have always been a media clickbait, easy to kick a dog whilst its down. Media (fox league especially) wanted a cinderalla story with Gold Coast based on all they invested with the documentary, so not mentioning they have been just as terrible as us - is just pulling cotton wool over their eyes. Instead it's easier to shift to another 'journo' going through the list of players we let go, with a tone of voice as if they just discovered it

@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395558) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395556) said:
@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395554) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395552) said:
@hsvjones said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395536) said:
I just watched this 6min clip on NRL on Nine 100% footy and just makes me feel sick..
(The insane Premiership-winning team that deserted the tigers is what the article is called)
Gallen and Gus were the main talkers and just listening to them basically say we are the most least preferred club to players and we are in a world of pain... But I can only agree with them because its true... hard to say but it's true.
Our roster is bog average and we CANNOT attract quality players like every other club so something has to change and change urgently.

I understand we are building from the ground up and foundations have been set but at the end of the day a footy club is based on on field results and we clearly lack them.

If the perception is no one wants to come here what do we do to change this as it is a MASSIVE problem.. Even the 2 teams below us on the ladder can attract Top Line players.. I have been on board with Madge and co for a while now but when you hear straight from Ex-players mouths that no one wants to come here, you need to take notice as they are not gaining anything out of there comments.

Do we change coaches ?
Do we buy let Sheens take over recruitment?
Do we need to replace some of the top dogs?

IDK but we sure need some positive news ASAP. :man-shrugging:

Although the board are one of the main issues, they can't be removed. We are pretty much at rock bottom and the only way forward imo is a thorough clean out.

Who remains?

Hartigan is a must keep. I feel like Hartigan is Billy Beane in Moneyball. Putting the best team together he can but getting screwed over by the A's managers selections and game plan.
Sheens will be crucial to any chance we have in success

Of the players? Doueihi, Laurie, Stefano, Simpkin, Seyfarth form a core of young players who seem to give a crap that we can build around. They stay

Who goes?
Pascoe has to go. Tiny profits aside, he's a dud.
Madge obviously. He's a dud.
All players not mentioned above.

Bring on a CEO with some gravitas, and bring on a coach and a bunch of good assistants who understand rugby league in 2021.

Completely agree but what coach is available that can help us ? Morris? The worst part for us is in theory it’s an easy fix but to actually make it happen is damn near impossible hence the reason we still have madge and Pascoe and a big average playing group

I believe John Morris and Sheens together would see an almost immediate improvement.

Do u see Morris wanting to come here and ruin whatever respect he has in the coaching world though that’s the big question! I strongly believe we can become a great club but not a lot of coaches/players want to come and ruin there careers. It’s hard to admit that this club I’ve loved forever is in a position where I can truly say we are in all sorts but it’s true. Jesus himself would struggle to get us out of the rut we have been in for the past 10 years!!

I don't know if Morris is the answer, but almost certain he would jump at the chance to take our WT on. I am though much more sure that Maguire is further behind Jesus and Morris in being able to get us out of the deepening rut.

Without change I fear our WT could keep falling on to our lowest ebb, whereas confident the flow will be upwards upon a new coach being appointed.

@tony-soprano said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395598) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395594) said:

You think so I think the players have been duds

If you look at the players we've signed after hartigan got here I'd argue most of them are pretty good, albeit most of them very young.

@tigervinnie said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395615) said:
phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

because "hAve yOu sEEn hoW mAnY pLayErs the TiGeRs lEt gO?"

We have always been a media clickbait, easy to kick a dog whilst its down. Media (fox league especially) wanted a cinderalla story with Gold Coast based on all they invested with the documentary, so not mentioning they have been just as terrible as us - is just pulling cotton wool over their eyes. Instead it's easier to shift to another 'journo' going through the list of players we let go, with a tone of voice as if they just discovered it

Mate the truth is no one has been as terrible as us over a ten year period. As a club we continue to have massive problems,ground hog day for ten years is it any wonder we get bashed in the media,we just keep asking for it

The Weekend against the best club of the last Decade + was heartbreaking...

The failures of this club have been over decade in the making.

Attitude
Talent and Skills
Club perception by non Tigers fans

This impacts our Recruitment and retention.

Madge/Hartigan/ Lee H are doing great to turn this ship around. Sheens and Noddy will help.

We need to Hold our Nerve and be patient.

Members online

Back