Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505794) said:
@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505793) said:
Simpkin doesn’t look like a threat with the ball.

Simpkin is 19

Age is irrelevant if you’re playing first grade and are on good coin.

Age shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

If your good enough, you’re old enough.

Simpkin is 19

So was Farah once. Some players at that age have it. Some don’t, and that’s fine if he needs time, but he’s showed nothing so far to warrant going all in on him and abandoning Liddle.

Simpkin is 19

And was scoring tries for fun in reserve grade. He certainly knows when there is an opportunity to run, and will only get better at picking the correct moments.

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505693) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505682) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505680) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505678) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505669) said:
@bradexl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505665) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

Correct, seemingly it was justified

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle has no kicking game either which is really important from 9 these days

Neither does Simpkin and he is a pathetic defender and a ball hog.

We get it. You're Liddle's mum.

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505796) said:

Simpkin is 19

So was Farah once. Some players at that age have it. Some don’t, and that’s fine if he needs time, but he’s showed nothing so far to warrant going all in on him and abandoning Liddle.

I think he needs more time, I expected a better year from Liddle than we saw last season and would be happy to give him another chance this year as long as the rumour about him being off Madge are false.

You realise he was scoring a try a game at once point in NSW cup, right? Was even the comps leading try scorer for the first month or two. All that when he's still eligible for Flegg for both 2021+22.

@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505800) said:

You realise he was scoring a try a game at once point in NSW cup, right? Was even the comps leading try scorer for the first month or two. All that when he's still eligible for Flegg for both 2021+22.

Every try I’ve seen him score has been a barge over from dummy half. Look. I’m not writing him off, he very well could develop into something great, I look forward to seeing him develop. But as I said in my last post, he hasn’t burst into first grade and reeked havoc. He’s shown himself to be very meat and potatoes so far. Nothing worth throwing the towel in on Liddle. If it were up to me, I’d have all 3 on the books. Because if we get Hodgson and punt Liddle, and Hodgson goes down, then what? It’s all on Simpkin, and that wouldn’t be good for him.

Each individual is different, you keep comparing everyone to farah as if its some discrete determining factor. Some individuals need more exposure time. Is your wonderful judgement telling you that liddle with 60 odd games in 5 years is worth persisting with?

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505801) said:

Every try I’ve seen him score has been a barge over from dummy half. Look. I’m not writing him off, he very well could develop into something great, I look forward to seeing him develop. But as I said in my last post, he hasn’t burst into first grade and reeked havoc. He’s shown himself to be very meat and potatoes so far. Nothing worth throwing the towel in on Liddle. If it were up to me, I’d have all 3 on the books. Because if we get Hodgson and punt Liddle, and Hodgson goes down, then what? It’s all on Simpkin, and that wouldn’t be good for him.

Got to remember that Farah's greatest strength was his running game. He used to score a lot of barge over tries.

Simpkin also had many try assists alongside his tries. Throws a great cutout ball close to the line.

The only difference Farah had to Simpkin as a junior is the kicking game.

If we can release Liddle then we would have 4 spots available & I would sign Josh Hodgson, Isaiah Papali’i, Dylan Walker & give James Roberts
another opportunity.
Top 30 Squad
Laurie
Nofoaluma
Walker
Douiehi
Maumalo
Brooks
Hastings
Peachey
Blore
Papali’i
Twal
Hodgson (c)
Stefano
Bench
Ofahengaue
Leilua
Mikaele
Musgrove
Reserves
Kei
Roberts
Gildart
Hoffman
Kepaoa
Talau
Madden
Simpkins
Garner
Tuilagi
Seyfarth
Simpkin
Tamou (c)

@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505804) said:

Got to remember that Farah's greatest strength was his running game. He used to score a lot of barge over tries.

Simpkin also had many try assists alongside his tries. Throws a great cutout ball close to the line.

Chalk and chesse .....Simpkin is a Steve Walters clone ...even has a bit of his running style ......

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505788) said:
@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505786) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505685) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public
hard cap on TPAs (eg $2m)
better system of cap relief for juniors/veterans

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

Ok, unlimited TPA but a tax on clubs that exceed a certain amount.

What does what a player can earn individually have to do with the club. You’d only push good players out of the game

To where? Rugby? It’s not 2003

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505808) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505804) said:

Chalk and chesse .....Simpkin is a Steve Walters clone ...even has a bit of his running style ......

I hope that he yurns out half as good as Boxhead, we'll be in a great postion for Hooker.

@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505629) said:
@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505545) said:
@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505210) said:
@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505175) said:
@champ said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505098) said:
As suggested before, all players should be on a points system. The more valuable a player is the higher the points.

I'll say this every time, and it's not a slight against you, but can anyone please show me a professional league of any sport globally that has a centrally-assigned points cap system in place? Can't work, won't work.

It is used in Sydney Rugby Union and also in the VFL

Links please I'd like to read about it

VFL from 2020

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjT85_A8Zb0AhUNzTgGHWjSBq0QFnoECAQQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsfnl.com.au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F02%2F2021_AFL_Victoria_Player_Points_System_Policy-2.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0wVhXQLDBa7Hzn8T4r1dyF

SRU - from 2015
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiNx7LS8Zb0AhW9yjgGHVofAjcQFnoECAYQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenandgoldrugby.com%2Fcommunity%2Fthreads%2Fthe-player-points-system.15788%2F&usg=AOvVaw1XC0owFqyOEXxjERNbkD0D

Thanks

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505778) said:
Could you imagine Labron James income if you took away all his endorsements?

I don't know, probably far less than for LeBron James.

Simpkins looks far more dangerous than Liddle in the limited time he has had in first grade. Liddle is cooked and his distribution and defense is ordinary, sorry to shatter some dreams.

I don’t understand why so many want poor performance rewarded and good performance penalised? What’s the goal?
Isn’t the goal to grow the game? Minimise the use of paper bags? Have clubs develop young players?

@terry-t-nuts said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505835) said:
Simpkins looks far more dangerous than Liddle in the limited time he has had in first grade. Liddle is cooked and his distribution and defense is ordinary, sorry to shatter some dreams.

He didn’t look fit in his last few games.

Back