Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

HOW MANY 1 MIL $$$ PLAYERS CAN A TEAM AFFORD TO HAVE.

With Pamfers signing Natgan Cleary to 5 year deals in excess of a million who is going to miss out on the big bucks at pamfers.They have a number of players who could quite easily earn in excess of $700k a season might he time to start sniffing around to put further pressure on their salary cap their gone from a salary beanie to a sombrero in pretty quick time

This is a big reason why I would throw the sink at Ciraldo. He knows the junior system better than anyone and would be able to a few from the Panthers as well. We just don't need a coach we need someone who can inject some life into the club which will only happen through player pickups.

Ciraldo would be fine but a poster wrote he turned us down. Morris I've seen at the local coffee shop consulting with his assistants. He seems a good people manager which would be a good quality for our next coach to have.

Ciraldo would be fine but a poster wrote he turned us down. Morris I've seen at the local coffee shop consulting with his assistants. He seems a good people manager which would be a good quality for our next coach to have.
Paws, if we go with Morris what players do you think Morris could bring to tigers? Sharks do have some very good young players.

Paws, if we go with Morris what players do you think Morris could bring to tigers? Sharks do have some very good young players.
I don't know many players unfortunately. Teig Wilton is his nephew so he must be a chance. Pele I believe is going to be a very good prop and there has been talk about him joining WTs for a while, Lachlan Miller was a player reportedly we were looking at and plus their juniors are always strong.

In a perfect world, recruitment should be a level playing field. Reality suggests otherwise. This means we need to be better at junior identification, retention, recruitment and importantly much better at development. We have to be better at what we do and I see signs this is happening. Maguire hasn't worked unfortunately. A new coach singing from a new song book and in a different voice, imo will make a huge difference and WTs will be on the right trajectory.

This forum throws up so many possible/ likely signings but the take up rate is so infitinitesmal and very frustrating. I hope the Wests Tigers decision makers know what they are doing.

This is a big reason why I would throw the sink at Ciraldo. He knows the junior system better than anyone and would be able to a few from the Panthers as well. We just don't need a coach we need someone who can inject some life into the club which will only happen through player pickups.
On that logic, don’t you think Fitzgibbon would of signed more than Ikuvalo from the Roosters?

I agree. People seem to be put off by the fact he rejected us once. Money speaks all languages, so does salary cap space, training facilities etc. It's time to find out what it would take to make this happen rather than just accepting he knocked us back once.

I've had a bit of a play with targets for 2023 based on our needs using rationale based on who is uncontracted. Here is my thinking (accepting criticicm about Bevan French but I believe he is an x-factor player who could fill a need for us plus like Hastings has matured in the ESL).

TARGETS:
  • Bevan French (Fullback / Utility Back)
  • Junior Ratuva (Wing)
  • Euan Aitken (Centre / 2nd Row)
  • Isiah Paapali (2nd Row)
  • Api Korisau (Hooker)
  • Marty Taupau or Paul Vaughan (Prop)
Out:
  • Hoffman (Centre – currently not filled)
  • Roberts (Centre)
  • Kei (Wing)
  • Liddle (Hooker – released)
  • Tamou (Prop)
  • Tuilagi (2nd Row)
  • Leilua (2nd Row)
  • Garner (2nd Row)
  • Mikaele (Prop)
Upgraded to top 30:
  • Ngatikaura (Hooker/Lock)
  • Pole (Prop/Lock)
  • 1 of O’Kane/Saukuru/Tumeth (2nd Row)
Notes:
  • Brooks to see out contract year
  • Talau to be re-signed on 1-year contract
  • Madden to be re-signed
  • Offa to see out contract year, Tigers won’t want to release too much experience
  • Assuming Sione Fainu is not on Top 30 contract
  • Leaving 6 spots to fill
Needs:
  • Fullback (experience, x-factor, battle Laurie for 1st team position)
  • Centre/2nd Row (strong running, solid defence, decent speed)
  • Wing (fast, ideally big & strong)
  • 2nd Row (1st team player)
  • Hooker
  • Prop
Development contracts 2023:
  • Remaining 2 of O’Kane/Saukuru/Tumeth
  • Kautoga or Guyan
  • Matamua
  • Dotoi
  • Cathane Hill

I agree. People seem to be put off by the fact he rejected us once. Money speaks all languages, so does salary cap space, training facilities etc. It's time to find out what it would take to make this happen rather than just accepting he knocked us back once.
Well he is going to be an assistant coach for the next 6 years if he stays at Penrith. He will have to be more patient than Fitzgibbon. I dont see him being that patient. Offer him 4 years subject to meeting certain goals. Do it now, before other clubs get in the race and we lose out once again.

Well he is going to be an assistant coach for the next 6 years if he stays at Penrith. He will have to be more patient than Fitzgibbon. I dont see him being that patient. Offer him 4 years subject to meeting certain goals. Do it now, before other clubs get in the race and we lose out once again.
We tried last year. I think he knows better opportunities will come along.

I've had a bit of a play with targets for 2023 based on our needs using rationale based on who is uncontracted. Here is my thinking (accepting criticicm about Bevan French but I believe he is an x-factor player who could fill a need for us plus like Hastings has matured in the ESL).

TARGETS:
  • Bevan French (Fullback / Utility Back)
  • Junior Ratuva (Wing)
  • Euan Aitken (Centre / 2nd Row)
  • Isiah Paapali (2nd Row)
  • Api Korisau (Hooker)
  • Marty Taupau or Paul Vaughan (Prop)
Out:
  • Hoffman (Centre – currently not filled)
  • Roberts (Centre)
  • Kei (Wing)
  • Liddle (Hooker – released)
  • Tamou (Prop)
  • Tuilagi (2nd Row)
  • Leilua (2nd Row)
  • Garner (2nd Row)
  • Mikaele (Prop)
Upgraded to top 30:
  • Ngatikaura (Hooker/Lock)
  • Pole (Prop/Lock)
  • 1 of O’Kane/Saukuru/Tumeth (2nd Row)
Notes:
  • Brooks to see out contract year
  • Talau to be re-signed on 1-year contract
  • Madden to be re-signed
  • Offa to see out contract year, Tigers won’t want to release too much experience
  • Assuming Sione Fainu is not on Top 30 contract
  • Leaving 6 spots to fill
Needs:
  • Fullback (experience, x-factor, battle Laurie for 1st team position)
  • Centre/2nd Row (strong running, solid defence, decent speed)
  • Wing (fast, ideally big & strong)
  • 2nd Row (1st team player)
  • Hooker
  • Prop
Development contracts 2023:
  • Remaining 2 of O’Kane/Saukuru/Tumeth
  • Kautoga or Guyan
  • Matamua
  • Dotoi
  • Cathane Hill
In reality how much time does the club have to make these suggested changes?

We tried last year. I think he knows better opportunities will come along.
I am sure there will be at the end of 2023. If we went for him right now, I think he would have a get out clause in his current contract. He could, by then, be almost 2 years into his new gig and see a big future for West Tigers and proud of what he has started. Am I dreaming ?

Back