Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I’m going to play recruitment manager & outline who I think the Club should target for 2023. This is based on;
  • Dolphins coming in & creating an inflated market where managers are inflating their player’s value at this point in time (i.e. Aitken)
  • Players wanting to stay at current Club but testing the market to pressure current Club (i.e. Nikora, Bird)
  • Limited ELITE players off contract for 2023
  • Knowing how the Tigers are currently recruiting (not paying ‘overs’ on MID-TIER players; McDonnell’s knowledge of Bulldogs players 2016-19 etc)
  • Tigers not being a current ‘destination’ club so being realistic on who will want to come here
  • Having plenty of salary cap space for the ‘right’ player
  • Needing to recruit for the positions of 2nd row, Prop, Centre, Wing (depth), Fullback (depth)
  • ‘Contracted’ players that have been rumoured on here or in the media as potential releases from current Club
Based on the above I think it is fairly accurate to assume …

We will hold out to give a ‘big’ contract to an ELITE player with at least 3-4 seasons of ‘peak’ footy in them and in positions where a ‘big’ contract is warranted in positions of need for us. Thus, I would target a ‘big’ contract player for the positions of 2nd Row & Prop.

TARGETS: Angus Crichton, Joseph Tapine, Hudson Young, John Bateman, Luke Thompson (at a subsidised amount)

Then other targets will likely be those players who ...
  • still have an upside & not seeing any likelihood of 1st team football at their current club.
  • provide experience & sure up the depth in a position of need
BACKS: Kade Dykes, Sunia Turuva, Kayal Iro, Matthew Komolafe, Taylan May, Mawene Hiroti (depth)
FORWARDS: Matthew Doorey, Euan Aitken (if $350 max), Franklin Pele, J’maine Hopgood, Terrell May

The disclaimer on this recent set of targets is that I think Sheens will be patient & keep 1-2 spots up his sleeve until November/December to see what emerges from England & Pacific Island nations in the World Cup.

So for me, I’d be ecstatic if we could land Angus Crichton, Kade Dykes, J’maine Hopgood & Matthew Komolafe with the re-signing of Tommy Talau & James Tamou.

If Jock Madden was to leave, then that would leave us with halves options of Hastings, Brooks, Doeuhi, Laurie, Dykes, Peachey (with development player Zane Camroux or NSW Cup player Nu Brown if desperate.)
Nicely written, to all sports "journalists": EAT YOUR HEART OUT!

I think you're being a bit unrealistic. Every club is going to look at loads of players and not sign them all. If you have a look at the NRL signings tracker its pretty clear that having two top line new players already signed for 2023 puts the Tigers in pretty rare company. Looking at the other teams who should be looking to improve their rosters with external signings, would you rather be the Broncos (Jesse Arthars returning from loan), Raiders (no signings), Bulldogs (no signings), Titans (Kieran Foran), Knights (no signings), Dragons (no signings) or Souths (Kodi Nikorima)? The only really active one has been the Warriors and honestly I'm not sure I'd rather take their haul (Marata Niukore, Luke Metcalf, Dylan Walker and Mitchell Barnett).
Oh I know I'm being unrealistic. I just want to have the most dominant players in that position in the competition. I want that feeling of superiority.

Go to Urunga. Very nice little village. The boardwalk is nice. Valla Beach is also good; and of course Nambucca Heads andnot to mention Scotts Head.
Just don't go to the southern end of Middle Beach near Grassy Heads unless you are into old men in the nude.
My misses grew up in Grassy Head and has some funny stories about Middle Beach and old men 🤣

We've got the same record as the Dogs but this is as good as it's going to get for them. They're not building to be a successful roster for an extended period, they've spent all their cap on players who are - or should be - at their peak right now. I mean, they can hope for more from Burton I guess but in general when you sign big name free agents you're paying for immediate results. If you don't get them, you just go into the same old cycle of a ruined salary cap, waiting to clear bad contracts, signing a bunch of new free agents and repeat.

I've said it plenty of times before but it amazes me when people look at the Dogs, Titans and Knights on one hand and the Panthers and Storm on the other, and think "we're going to get out of this mess by signing a bunch of big name free agents".

Plus Burton has gone from a Premiership winning side which was virtually flawless to parachuting into an absolute shitfight at Canterbury with no notable fullback, half or hooker.

I think you're being a bit unrealistic. Every club is going to look at loads of players and not sign them all. If you have a look at the NRL signings tracker its pretty clear that having two top line new players already signed for 2023 puts the Tigers in pretty rare company. Looking at the other teams who should be looking to improve their rosters with external signings, would you rather be the Broncos (Jesse Arthars returning from loan), Raiders (no signings), Bulldogs (no signings), Titans (Kieran Foran), Knights (no signings), Dragons (no signings) or Souths (Kodi Nikorima)? The only really active one has been the Warriors and honestly I'm not sure I'd rather take their haul (Marata Niukore, Luke Metcalf, Dylan Walker and Mitchell Barnett).
Bulldogs have got Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau for 2023.

I know the Penrith players are tight but they aren't staying at Penrith if they can get $150k-$200k per season extra somewhere else - especially with Nathan on over a mill a season
Yeah agreed. They've already won a Premiership and will probably get another won this season. These dynasties are all nice and fine but if you're the guy leaving $200K on the table each year while the coach's son is taking in 7 figures then I imagine you start eyeing off how short your career span is pretty quickly.

Read on DT that Liam Martin has rejected a new Panthers contract and wants a better offer. Great player. Rather him than Angus to be fair. He never goes in and out of games. Just goes hard the whole game

A lot of interest in Selwyn Cobbo. Foxsports reporting 8 clubs have expressed interest. But likely to stay at the Broncos.………

‘The winger is considered a long-term fullback at Brisbane and has been compared to a young Greg Inglis.

Cobbo is on $180,000 this season but his stellar form has seen his value skyrocket and he’ll soon earn more than $600,000 per year.

Cobbo is reportedly on the cusp of re-signing at the Broncos on a $2 million dollar deal that will keep him at Red Hill until 2025.

That’s prompted as many as eight clubs to chase Cobbo’s signature, but Brisbane coach Kevin Walters insists the future fullback is going nowhere.’
Geez I'd be throwing coin at this kid as our future fb.
Broncs 500k x 4yrs.
I'd go 650k w bonuses for rep footy etc.
Kid has looked good the last 2 yrs in a shit side

Penrith have set up a sustainable pipeline. they'll keep the crucial pieces in Cleary, JFH, Luai and Yeo happy, the rest are expendable, just simply because they won't be able to keep them if they're forced to pay market value. the way they've set up their pathways ensures the best young kids have learnt the structures and the systems and they walk in and set it alight.

look at Tago and May, that's no coincidence. Turuva will be the same when he finally gets his chance. if Martin goes to market Penrith won't be able to compete with some of the offers he's going to get thrown at him, but they'll replace him very easily. Crichton I'd say will look for fullback money in the next couple of years and become the Folau clone he was destined to be, and To'o is in for a payday when November comes around, regardless of whether he stays or goes.

Read on DT that Liam Martin has rejected a new Panthers contract and wants a better offer. Great player. Rather him than Angus to be fair. He never goes in and out of games. Just goes hard the whole game
Angus has a better head.

Bulldogs have got Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau for 2023.
Fair enough, just went off the NRL website without engaging brain. They were both signed before Papali'i and Koroisau, I believe - I wonder if their fans are saying "what have you done for me lately" re recruitment...

Fair enough, just went off the NRL website without engaging brain. They were both signed before Papali'i and Koroisau, I believe - I wonder if their fans are saying "what have you done for me lately" re recruitment...
For sure though I think they would just be wanting Barrett out more than anything else right now.

He certainly has a lot of energy both in defence and attack. Like Angus Crichton can play 2nd row and mid. I would be happy with either. Both around a similar age. When Crichton is on he has the ability to turn a game. Martin is probably more consistent. Both are quality.

It was all around the same time in late November last year. I imagine top of the list for their fans at the moment is a new coach...

650k for a rookie who hasn't even played a full season surely not lol

Only way I would entertain that would be based on incentives.
Otherwise no thanks especially given he hasn't been tested at NRL level in the fullback position.

Latest posts

Members online

Back