Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Interesting some of the chat around Sheens wanting Laurie as halves cover.

I’m not sure if anyone remembers, but in his first trial for us (against Manly I believe) he went very well at 5/8…

You could see he had the skill, but his strength and size was stopping him from turning the half breaks into something more.

Maybe with a couple of years of first grade behind him, he’ll be better for it?

The only concern is the amount of defence he’d have to do.

On Brooks, it was clear without him we weren’t any better. On the right contract $, he presents good value for the club when you take the long-serving player allowance into account.

It’s obvious to everyone including Luke that he’s not a $1 million player, but if Sheens can renegotiate his contract extension to say $650k x 3 seasons, the cap allowance is $188,000 per season, making Luke’s impact on our cap only $462,000 a season.

Given the average of the cap is around $306k in 2022…and likely more in 2023 and beyond, that presents a decent result for the club going forward. Even if he plays reserves for half a season or gets injured, you don’t have a huge chunk of your cap sitting on the sidelines.

Brandy and a few others from the Panthers all viewed Laurie as a 5/8th long term in the NRL.

If we are serious about going after Munster or Brown it indicates Sheens/Benji don't really want AD as the long term 5/8th, so does make sense then to also look at more of the dynamic/speed style ball player to be 5/8th like Laurie as well. Could be also why they want to keep Brooks around because they want both halves to have speed playing either side of the ruck.

Well I think they have already started by letting Madden go. The message there is we want you to lead us.
Next step is to have players running off him as well as occasional darts himself.
It’s all part of a back to basics attitude which imo is where the team has to start.
Forget the miracle plays and focus on getting everything solid.
I know that may sound a little corney but seems obvious to me.

Brandy and a few others from the Panthers all viewed Laurie as a 5/8th long term in the NRL.

If we are serious about going after Munster or Brown it indicates Sheens/Benji don't really want AD as the long term 5/8th, so does make sense then to also look at more of the dynamic/speed style ball player to be 5/8th like Laurie as well. Could be also why they want to keep Brooks around because they want both halves to have speed playing either side of the ruck.
Sheens will tell Brooks to play eyes up football and chance his arm unlike JT and Madge who were blowing up at every mistake.
In relation to Douhie I think it is centre or bust for him I don't think he is a Sheens type of half.
Hastings is key here needs to play 13 for this to work.
Laurie can play 6 with pace on the other side of the ruck.
13. Hastings
9. Api
7. Brooks
6. Laurie
4. Naden
3. Douhie
1. Staines

Sheens will tell Brooks to play eyes up football and chance his arm unlike JT and Madge who were blowing up at every mistake.
In relation to Douhie I think it is centre or bust for him I don't think he is a Sheens type of half.
Hastings is key here needs to play 13 for this to work.
Laurie can play 6 with pace on the other side of the ruck.
13. Hastings
9. Api
7. Brooks
6. Laurie
4. Naden
3. Douhie
1. Staines
Agree …. I believe Sheens, Benji and recruitment are actively pursuing a quality 5/8 either for next or the following year onwards.
For me Douhie is not the answer and he has to accept that at best he is either a centre and/or backup fullback.

Nu Brown is hardly a massive loss - that he played so much this year is an indictment of our roster tbh. We've more than enough at #9 (Api, Simpkin, Rua if need be).

We aren't going to be able to recruit our way out of this mire. It will be a part of it, for sure, but we are going to have to develop our own talent in-house for the most part. We should have succession plans upon succession plans within the system, so that we know if and when we will have to go to market, and to what level.
It's a big reason that I'm so concerned that we don't have a proper Football Director anymore - it's very much a full time position.

I remember a lot of noise about brooks not wanting to play under Madge.. (first rumours of him going to Newcastle were based on it.)

I think the ‘Laurie for cover at 5/8” probably plays in with POMS post saying that if AD wants to hold out negotiations until after World Cup he has been told they may look at others. So they are throwing up other options such as Munster, Brown and now Laurie as alternatives they have discussed since shelving the AD contract talks till after the WC.

I think it’s also pretty obvious that Hastings is viewed as a lock and won’t be playing in the halves unless injury or no other options.

Nu Brown is hardly a massive loss - that he played so much this year is an indictment of our roster tbh. We've more than enough at #9 (Api, Simpkin, Rua if need be).

We aren't going to be able to recruit our way out of this mire. It will be a part of it, for sure, but we are going to have to develop our own talent in-house for the most part. We should have succession plans upon succession plans within the system, so that we know if and when we will have to go to market, and to what level.
It's a big reason that I'm so concerned that we don't have a proper Football Director anymore - it's very much a full time position.

Developing didn't work last time...
Or the time before.
Won't work now!!

How many front rowers (Better than below average) have we "Developed" since 2011-12?
Is it 1?
What about Backrowers? 2-3 maybe....
No fullbacks of note since Tedesco (Who's been gone for 5 years)
1 Decent centre - If you count Suli....
ALL THIS - From 2 Junior Nurserys....

Even when we were loaded with Junior Talent - We made 3 finals in 20 odd years...
Don't buy everything they sell you.

nu brown has signed with the bulldogs , there salary cap must be unlimited, believe he took less money to go there ,

Seems odd that he played a lot of very ordinary football there, They couldn't wait to be rid of him...
Only to sign him back now.

Does make sense though, Their "Best Player" this year in Marshall-King is gone and there probably isn't a lot of cover for him.

Dragons are set to make a big for David Fifita
A pack like this would look good
8. Stef
9. Api
10. Joffa
11. Papali
12. D Fifita
13. Hastings

7. Brooks
6. Laurie
5. Ken M
4. Naden
3. Douhie
2. Nofo
1. Staines
How many minutes has fafita got in him now days??

Back