Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Bateman's form is very unimpressive and he would not be cheap,when you add a 350k transfer fee on that you are talking around about 1 million for him.That would be the biggest waste of money in the history of the NRL imho.Hopefully the club told them no in the most emphatic way possible
I say no to Batman ( or Robin or both).
Waste of money !

Lot of talk about star backs RTS ,Munster , Moses etc .These guys would be great signing them would be really difficult even with big overs . However my memory is still fresh about back end of this season and how sides like roosters and raiders humiliated our pack . It was men against boys and that pack was dreadful .I think only one member of that pack survives at least in run on side .Never again the rest and let's not pretend lightweight reggies forwards will make it at Nrl level
Unless we've got a true Ist grade forward line up that is 6 run on and 3 bench then it won't matter how classy some of our backs are .
We don't have 9 great forwards in our roster yet !
Agree we need to pack to match the new standard, but we are already behind the 8 ball with Hastings at lock. A half taking a forward slot due to club / coach inability to make hard decision, so far atleast, with a inadequate halves pairing. So in many ways if it eventuates next season we will have 5 true forwards against others 6- meaning our interchange bench use will have to be superb and probably all forwards.

Agree we need to pack to match the new standard, but we are already behind the 8 ball with Hastings at lock. A half taking a forward slot due to club / coach inability to make hard decision, so far atleast, with a inadequate halves pairing. So in many ways if it eventuates next season we will have 5 true forwards against others 6- meaning our interchange bench use will have to be superb and probably all forwards.

Well said and as you say it is unlikely we could carry any utility on the bench

Basically the rundown is this: Munster says Tigers are a genuine option but doesn't want to rush in deciding his future and also Wigan have put a 350,00 fee for us to sign Bateman early, club not having that.
Also I'm sure he is not in a hurry as by the rules no club can out a offer to him until Nov 1 anyway. If he tells Storm he is leaving they might let him start to accept offers early but nothing will happen for at least another month.

That fee is outside the Salary cap i believe but we might be after N Brown instead.

Well said and as you say it is unlikely we could carry any utility on the bench
I take magpies forever point however i think a bit differently. I think Hastings as a hybred lock/half worked wel l& gave us a POD to other teams. Also take the point of not being able to carry a utility. I know we dont have Garner or Cheekam anymore , but what about someone in that mold or even Talua to cover second row/centre postition?

U buy both of them then there’s no money for MUCH needed forwards
I do agree I really do. I suppose though it might be possible to have a very good spine carry a young potential forward pack rather than an outstanding forward pack be led by a bunch of mid level halves.

IMHO, we shall stop signing plodders, and Stains falls into that group.
For winger position we shall target Koroibete, JAC, To'o, Tupou, Codric or an alternative fast young player.
It would be great to dream of RTS, but I would not hold my breath.
Manu would be great at centre.

So my dream signings would be:
Tedesco/RST
Koroibete
Manu

However, the first things first, we need to start with props, as none of the above players would like to sign and struggle behind our current props!
Agree we dont wanna sign any more plodders..but weve gotta be realistic
RTS is a real possibility as the better teams have an entrenched no 1 unlike WTs...but Munster/Moses/Tedesco/Manu etc ..absolutely no chance theyd come to us for almost any amount of $$

It's big money when there are a slew of other halves we can pursue at the same time. And his ability/durability is only going to decrease from here on in. He'll be 34 a few rounds into his 2024 contract.
I'd no issue paying him $900k for two years if we had someone being groomed underneath to take over - but we don't, as you say.
Wallace was a signing along those lines, just a placeholder whilst Cleary was coming through.

Cronk was the last puzzle piece for a team on the verge of winning it all. If we were in a similar boat I'd have no issues with the age stuff, but we're miles away.
Fair call. Who is the slew of other halves available? Moses and?

Wouldn’t it be great if we could sign Munster, Moses and RTS and then like NAS - and be under the cap!
That'd be like saying "wouldn't it be great to sign Teddy Sualii Topou Manu Keary Walker Radley Crichton Tounomapai JWH Takiaho Butcher Butcher Baker Collins & Momo and be under the cap!

The more this signing rumours go on and on the more I am starting to like this AFL system.
I don't know much about it but seems they have a week for all trades and Draft etc.. Players can ask to be traded to clubs and all parties win..
I think the NRL need to stop this Nov 1 rubbish and maybe moving it back until middle of the year.. IMO it just seems too long of a timeframe.

Latest posts

Back