Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I have no idea why a guy with a family would give up 650K he has never had a job in the real world the absolute last time he will ever make this much coin he has done Canterbury proud over the years and if he is not good enough for the first 17 he has a easier job in seconds helping the younger generation and Canterbury would give him a job after he finishes up

The NRL should take his salary out of the cap for the next three years that's what they did to the Tigers ?

Can someone enlighten me with the Farrah situation again thanks 👍
Maby he is just over the day to day grind of playing in the nrl

The Bulldogs are furiously denying any suggestions that the retirement of club legend Josh Jackson was done to ease salary cap pressure.

It’s an interesting one because their general manager of football Phil Gould has to shed players at Belmore even with Jackson’s $650,000 contract coming out of the salary cap.

The likes of Luke Thompson, Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan are in the firing line.

The Bulldogs have added Billy Kikau (Panthers), Reed Mahoney (Eels), Ryan Sutton (Raiders), Andrew Davey (Sea Eagles), Hayze Perham and Franklin Pele (Cronulla) and Jacob Preston (Roosters).

They cannot have more than 30 players registered.

This is a situation the NRL will no doubt be monitoring. It’s a little bit murky because not even CEO Aaron Warburton or chairman John Khoury know exactly where their cap sits. They leave it all to Gus.

The Bulldogs are saying Jackson made the decision to retire and insist he wasn’t pushed. That after 11 seasons and 241 games his body could not cope with another 12 months of body contact.

It’s a huge call on his behalf to give up a wage of $650,000. It also gets tricky because Canterbury wants to give Jackson a job. He has a degree in exercise science.

Rival clubs are watching this one closely.

We’ve seen it happen before where clubs have encouraged players to retire to ease pressure on the salary cap and then employ them elsewhere in the business.

Clubs need the NRL’s permission to do so. (Slothy)
Robbie Farah Wests Tigers anyone, multi year cap penalty, get to it NRL

It won't be a trial year though if they sign with other clubs before the season starts.

We don't have the luxury of giving these guys 10 rounds and then choosing the 1-2 we want to persist with, as they will sign elsewhere. Knights, Bulldogs, Dolphins are heavily in the market for halves, and a few other clubs will keep one eye op

Seems Garrick extended for 4yr with manly. Nightly-nights miss out again…
How'd we miss out when we didn't even go for him?

He wouldn't of left Manly

It was part of Mastercoach Jason Taylor not wanting Farrah. We paid majority of his 800k contract to go to South's with the offer of a job after footy. Which Pascoe didn't declare.

How much did we have to take out of the cap and was it for 3 years ?

amateur hour.

The NRL financial year starts on Tuesday yet the 16 clubs still have no salary cap locked in and no idea on their annual funding distributions.

The players still have no collective bargaining agreement.

Teams are about to return to training with unregistered players with no insurance because of the delays. (Slothy)

amateur hour.

The NRL financial year starts on Tuesday yet the 16 clubs still have no salary cap locked in and no idea on their annual funding distributions.

The players still have no collective bargaining agreement.

Teams are about to return to training with unregistered players with no insurance because of the delays. (Slothy)
Sounds like normal is Pascoe temping there ?

Hastings is pretty underrated on here I reckon. He may not be super fast but he’s got basically everything else.

His biggest knocks I hear of are speed and power.

The former is a fair knock but speed alone will get you nowhere just ask Bevan French. It definitely helps but is one aspect of many needed to be a successful player.

The latter I think is not warranted. He may not break tackles like Tedesco but he’s strong and seems hard to put down and is often standing for a quick PTB and is good for PCM’s without being elite. His also averaged most metres for us in 2022 and was crucial in organising anything that resembled an NRL team. We win those game versing Titans and Warriors if he plays no doubt.

His intangible qualities and 1%ers are everything the club has lacked and we should be doing everything we can to ensure he remains.

Hastings is pretty underrated on here I reckon. He may not be super fast but he’s got basically everything else.

His biggest knocks I hear of are speed and power.

The former is a fair knock but speed alone will get you nowhere just ask Bevan French. It definitely helps but is one aspect of many needed to be a successful player.

The latter I think is not warranted. He may not break tackles like Tedesco but he’s strong and seems hard to put down and is often standing for a quick PTB and is good for PCM’s without being elite. His also averaged most metres for us in 2022 and was crucial in organising anything that resembled an NRL team. We win those game versing Titans and Warriors if he plays no doubt.

His intangible qualities and 1%ers are everything the club has lacked and we should be doing everything we can to ensure he remains.

We rate him but if he wants to play 7 somewhere else what can you do.

Back