Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

If Bateman comes on a 3yr mutual option on the 4th id be ok with that but i agree with others 4 yrs straight out is a big risk. Especially as we've bignoted ourselves as the development club i am still intrigued about @tigerap comment on his mate coming i took that as being another pom but not Williams.

Reactions: 851
If Bateman comes on a 3yr mutual option on the 4th id be ok with that but i agree with others 4 yrs straight out is a big risk. Especially as we've bignoted ourselves as the development club i am still intrigued about @tigerap comment on his mate coming i took that as being another pom but not Williams.
@tigerballs ✅️

Would have thought we might have learned our lesson with 4 year deals for players who's best days were some years ago. Let's hope he is not being paid at a rate based on past reputation instead of recent form.
I agree, though I would do it for some exceptions.

Dale Finucane for instance. Yes his form will dip, but it will be the leaving Melbourne storm dip. I expect his effort will be 100% for the 4 years he will play at Cronulla. Flip that people like David Fifita can be signed for over 1 million and still having 10 years of Rugby league ahead of him, he would be a massive risk on a 3 year contract.

Overall agreed and here is the problem as I see it. It's Long contract + overs.
We need to draw a hard line, Either Long contract OR Overs. Not Both! While I am glad we resigned Nofo, his 5 years at 500k is a joke.

We need to attract talent, we cannot keep locking us up for many years just to attract second rate talent.

Bit of non-news, but Tuki Simpkins posted on Insta with a few of the NSW cup boys. In one of the shots is player called Haze Dunster who I was not familiar with. I googled and looks like he played half a dozen games for Eels NSW cup side last year. Maybe an outside back signing for ressies? God knows we need it. Could also just be a mate.

Bit of non-news, but Tuki Simpkins posted on Insta with a few of the NSW cup boys. In one of the shots is player called Haze Dunster who I was not familiar with. I googled and looks like he played half a dozen games for Eels NSW cup side last year. Maybe an outside back signing for ressies? God knows we need it. Could also just be a mate.

I would sign Dunster in a heartbeat,he could be just what we need.Young with talent

I hear what you’re saying but a 4 year deal for a guy who has shoulder issues & didn’t exactly set the super league on fire when he returned isn’t exactly smart. He’s sort of had a habit for breaking contracts recently as well. Happy to be proven wrong !!
Bateman only left Canberra cause covid meant he couldn’t see his daughter as long as covid doesn’t effect aus he won’t break the deal and if we play him for 2 years then bench impact for the last 2 4 years isn’t that much and based off of klem and api deals 1 or 2 of those years would probably be options

That doesn't compute. I mean: mathematically that does not work out.

The rosters are the same size, so everyone (clubs and players) are subject to the same increase. If IP costs X% more to bring over, it also costs the incumbent club X% more to retain them. Even if the rosters were not the same size, every club has the same mandatory conditions of needing to pay a Top 30.

The only thing the cap increase does right at this moment is impact potential recruitment for 2023 / 2024, because the increase was not previously guaranteed and therefore more money has become immediately available.

The cap increase means every player is now asking for more money. Even the basic wage is higher.
Except supply and demand means the below average player doesn’t have that bargaining power. There’s hundreds of players who will play NRL for 2-300k. You have to spend ?90% of your cap.

This benefits the elite more than the others by a lot. (And the average players willing to sign for the clubs not in the running for a premiership). Tigers end up paying overs for just average players because they have to spend it.

Edit: there’s just not enough elite players to go around.

Haze Dunster has played NRL and played well before a knee injury. Someone may be able to confirm if he is related to Marshall or their families are close? Dunster is a kiwi.

Dunster’s still with Parra.

They’re with Aitasi James in the photos, who would’ve played with Dunster through the grades at Parra.

I agree with others that a 4 year contract, if true, is too long for Bateman and could it could end up being another financial millstone. However, what can you do? At his best, he's a gun and his forceful presence and experience could be a real boon. However, if injuries, poor form or indifference kick in we're sunk once again.
what can we do - not sign old hacks on long term deals,its only 360 garbage at the moment,no need 4 knickers in a knot yet

Bateman’s form started to dip in the back end of his Canberra stint. Than his form continue to dip back in the ESL and now we throw a possible four year deal and a bucket of cash his way. I guess when you come last these are the things you have to try Because you don’t have any other options.

Big risk, but there is a real chance it could work with the calibre of forwards around him

Back