Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

WOW ... People are so negative towards the club and rightly so if it was 12-18 months ago.

Take away all the emotion and look at the facts as our club has done wonders over the last 12 months to turn this club around. We have offloaded most of the deadwood that were just happy to get a pay cheque and replaced with some serious talented players E.g. Bateman, Klemmer, Pap, Api and blooded players like Bula, Tupou, Pole, Starford To'a, Naden etc... Not sure what you all expect because we are building from the very bottom but for me we are 100% heading in the right direction and the playing group seem to be all in (Even after the tough start to the year) .

I love Joe O and will miss him greatly, but I have total faith in the team to replace him or upgrade the guys we don't want to lose E.g. Bula, Stef, Tupou etc.. (Ask yourself would you rather lose Joe O or a Bula / Tupou because we don't have the funds to keep them? I know my choice)

All we really need is a top line 7 and some nice back up players and we are building nicely.

There is a method to Sheen's madness and IMO is working perfectly and we are not getting belted like the past.

Anyway, just wanted to add a positive post and back what the club is doing.
Great post.
As someone said elsewhere, we let the wrong prop go. Should’ve been Twal. But he was probably on less $ and really those two are much of a muchness.
And yes we need a top 7, but Sheens said recently that he was very committed to Brooks. Now that is a problem. A big one.

so why are we the only team that has to let players go mid season to retain junior talent?
Sometimes it takes one step back to go 5 forward.
I would have preferred to keep Joe O but if if it's for something better in the long-term I am OK with that. Time will tell.

I will also add that I am starting to have a little more faith in the Benji/ Sheens decision of which I was extremely critical last year.

Our D is so much better, the attitude of the players is so much better, and the majority of recruitment decisions seem to have paid off (some were Madge's and some Bensheenius). A couple more changes in the halves and I think we'll OK for a while.

I'd like to believe the club is moving forward but time will tell.

Last edited:
Well you can't date 2 girls at the same time and expect to keep either of them.
Re no one mentioning us looking at Hunt, only Johnson. ... This is good.

Remember when TPJ and Dale Finucane went to market. We bidded hard to get TPJ, we probably should have gone for Finucane. Whomever we target, we cannot go for both unless we actually have the cap space there.

If were making a bid for Johnson, we make that bid hard. We don't go looking to a bunch of people at the same time. Were bidding for Pearce and Johnson, Hunt is one step too far.

The Tele. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/c3486f3a4b02adf8c541173cb376db75

"Like Suaalii, Tupou has a rugby union background. He played in the Brumbies pathways and was selected in the junior Wallabies squad.

Recently, the softly spoken powerhouse outside back was asked if he would consider switching codes after news of Suaalii’s monster deal, and indicated would consider it if Rugby Australia came knocking.

Tupou, who has been a shining light for the Tigers, is making a name for himself as a metre-eating, tackle-busting outside back."

:) it never ends.
At one point the Wallabies had Korobete and Naiqarayaro (check the spelling guys) - both Tigers wingers. Please God, we cannot let Bula and Tupou go. These kids are special. We need to break the bank for them.

Re no one mentioning us looking at Hunt, only Johnson. ... This is good.

Remember when TPJ and Dale Finucane went to market. We bidded hard to get TPJ, we probably should have gone for Finucane. Whomever we target, we cannot go for both unless we actually have the cap space there.

If were making a bid for Johnson, we make that bid hard. We don't go looking to a bunch of people at the same time. Were bidding for Pearce and Johnson, Hunt is one step too far.
I may be wrong Cc but haven’t Johnson and Pearce both said no to us ( thankfully imo) ?

At one point the Wallabies had Korobete and Naiqarayaro (check the spelling guys) - both Tigers wingers. Please God, we cannot let Bula and Tupou go. These kids are special. We need to break the bank for them.
If it’s not rugby it will be lots of other NRL clubs sniffing at their doors. You’re 100% correct we need to lock them up , as a highest priority.
It has taken us too long to unearth a couple of special talents only to lose them before we have reaped the benefit,

Reactions: 851
The Tele. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/c3486f3a4b02adf8c541173cb376db75

"Like Suaalii, Tupou has a rugby union background. He played in the Brumbies pathways and was selected in the junior Wallabies squad.

Recently, the softly spoken powerhouse outside back was asked if he would consider switching codes after news of Suaalii’s monster deal, and indicated would consider it if Rugby Australia came knocking.

Tupou, who has been a shining light for the Tigers, is making a name for himself as a metre-eating, tackle-busting outside back."

:) it never ends.
Anything worse when the club develops someone and they leave.

Get it done

I don't hate the idea of signing Frizell and imo he's still got some good years in him, but why not commit to Matamua and Blore - both young and plenty talented.

Matamua in 13, Blore on the bench. Blore can then come on for Matamua and defend in the middle and attack on an edge while Bateman goes into the 13 in attack and plays as a 3rd half.

Gives us versatility without necessarily sacrificing much in the way of defence and go forward.
Competition for spots makes a strong club. Players need to earn the right to make the 17

Parra have seemingly done well with these two but their cap situation is terrible, they have committed BIG dollars and years to 5 players, 2 of which are props.
They are desperately trying to find a way to extend their prem window but do either of these blokes achieve that? I don't know.
Does Tracey shift Gutho from FB to centre? Or does Tracey slot into centre for Blake? Is that the best use of his talents?
Does Joffa play 13 in their best 17? Or is he purely cover for their diminished front row stocks? They have RCG, Paulo, Matterson, Lane, Hopgood, Cartwright, all on decent enough coin all vying for a starting spot. Joffa just adds another decent 1st grader on better than decent money to that list.
I just don't know that I would be loving these pickups if I was a slimeys fan.
Chasing a fast closing premiership window

Reactions: 851
I note we are still last and have been heading south for eight years (Pascoe’s reign of misery). Why would my opinion change? As I mentioned we’ve had so many mini revivals before I’m not getting excited (yet).

You don’t release a good player unless you have a suitable replacement in play. I suspect we hired Fulton to try and get Schuster and that failed too. Typical Tigers stuff!
What's really concerning is if Fulton and Sheens/Benji don't see eye to eye on recruitment given the two dunderheads brought Fulton over without any consultation and moved Sheens man from his role. Benji/ Sheens only extended Joe O at the end of last season we get a new head of recruitment and he is out the door half a season later.
For two not supposedly involved in football matters I would say that move suggests otherwise.

We will find out later what has happened , Joe will give his side , I predict he was shopped around and moved on

We will find out later what has happened , Joe will give his side , I predict he was shopped around and moved on
All when the new head of recruitment arrived. Hard to believe Sheens and Benji sign a bloke in September till 2025 and shop him around less than a season later. If they did you would have to question their judgement.

You go round and round with the same stuff so much you end up arguing with yourself…..

You note were coming last and then complain we released a bench player that openly admits he wasn’t fit enough, or playing well enough to start the year…

What exactly is your point - isn’t he one of the reasons we are where we are on the ladder?
What’s it matter to you?

You’ll take any reason you get to polish your boots on the admin.
I think the reason he was not fit at the start of the season was because he was in the rehab group and got no off season training. Once his fitness improved so did his game.

What's really concerning is if Fulton and Sheens/Benji don't see eye to eye on recruitment given the two dunderheads brought Fulton over without any consultation and moved Sheens man from his role. Benji/ Sheens only extended Joe O at the end of last season we get a new head of recruitment and he is out the door half a season later.
For two not supposedly involved in football matters I would say that move suggests otherwise.
That’s the way I read it too. Always felt like the board (including CEO & Chair) behave more like windsocks than decisive long term strategists.

Latest posts

Members online

Back