Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

In 2003 Hodgeson was dropped to reserve grade before his injury. He was in and out of reserve grade with Richards, it was well documented he had a falling out with Smith.

In 2003 Hodgeson was dropped to reserve grade before his injury. He was in and out of reserve grade with Richards, it was well documented he had a falling out with Smith.
And that is how Sheens discovered him..... because the famously cantankerous Brian Smith dropped him for a couple of games the year after he played Origin!

Clutching at straws....

Reactions: 851
And that is how Sheens discovered him..... because the famously cantankerous Brian Smith dropped him for a couple of games the year after he played Origin!

Clutching at straws....
Yes we jumped on him because he wasn't happy. We offered him the 250k that O'Donnell wanted. I know Hodgeson played origin in 2002, but I stand by my opinion that Sheens got the best out of him.

I can stand to be corrected, but my memory of the 2004/2005 squad was:

Hodgson on the outer at Parra
Richards from reserve grade at Parra
Prince from reserve grade at the Broncos (recovering from a busted ankle)
Phatueira was a starting centre from Penrith
Elford was in reserve grade at Penrith
Payten was a bench forward at the Roosters at the time
Galloway was added as an emerging player from the Sharks with a handful of games under his belt.
Moodie was at the end of his career from (I want to say the Knights, but there was some Parra time in there)
Beuttner was reserve grade at Parra
Senter was reserve grade from the Dogs (he was signed under Lamb though, I think)

Either way- point is, Sheens found value in players that didn't fit at other clubs or hadn't reached their potential. Then developed the bulk of the squad through our juniors. It was amazing recruiting.

I think his Canberra success stories were Mullins, Nagas, Nadruku, Laurie Daley, Clyde, Stuart, Todd, Ponga etc. He inherited a strong squad & turned into into an immortal squad.

You guys make a good point that players that were seen as un needed or unwanted in one system can be brought togeather under the right system and find success. Once we start kicking on and moving up the ladder it will be really interesting to look back and see who the biggest improvers of our current squad turn out to be.

Give Tim credit where due - but he did no identify or even sign Belcher!

He also didn't identify Hodgo obviously - but he did bring him home!

One of the best you didn't mention was Ken Nagas - who was a better fullback than he was a winger - but played second fiddle to Mullins!
Yep, Hodgo came through under Tommy and although debuted at FB play mostly wing for the first 12 months before getting the full time gig at FB, and was definitely a good FB at pwarra. Sheens bought him home and helped improve his game.
One of my favourites even when he defected.

Galloway was added as an emerging player from the Sharks with a handful of games under his belt.
Moodie was at the end of his career from (I want to say the Knights, but there was some Parra time in there)
Senter was reserve grade from the Dogs (he was signed under Lamb though, I think)

Either way- point is, Sheens found value in players that didn't fit at other clubs or hadn't reached their potential. Then developed the bulk of the squad through our juniors. It was amazing recruiting.

I think his Canberra success stories were Mullins, Nagas, Nadruku, Laurie Daley, Clyde, Stuart, Todd, Ponga etc. He inherited a strong squad & turned into into an immortal squad.
Galloway didn’t join us until 06.
but I sort of agree with your point, I would say I have seen some players improve and some decline under sheens and the same can be said for all coaches. Seen players improve and decline under the same coach.
A lot of things impact a persons performance, motivation, ability to fulfil a role/style, environment, family, health and so on.

Dodd's having another dud game for St Helens in a game the ref has done everything he can to get St Helens the win. Currently we're playing extra time.
He even sent off a Leeds player for an imaginary punch..

Reactions: 851
St Helens get the win, all credit to the ref.
Their performance this year shows what a great coach Kristian Wolfe is. He coached the same team without Dodd last year and they were invincible, now they're right back to the pack.
Wolfe's also got Redcliffe's team of spare parts playing like St Helens of last year.

It's called not having an actual memory - or having a false memory!!

If you were too young to remember the time - don't act like you do and try to correct people who've been following the game for many more years is my suggestion!

Too many people conflate recollections of being told something by someone once - with actually remembering that event and knowing what happened!
Take it easy boomer

You're not some professor of footy.

Go grab the remote have a rest.

Galloway didn’t join us until 06.
but I sort of agree with your point, I would say I have seen some players improve and some decline under sheens and the same can be said for all coaches. Seen players improve and decline under the same coach.
A lot of things impact a persons performance, motivation, ability to fulfil a role/style, environment, family, health and so on.
Yes, exactly. Several players just haven't worked out with Wayne Bennett, Haslier or Bellamy.

Sheens isn't a lifter. but he can really get hte best out of some people. Also we haven't seen him open his playbook yet. I kind of liken Sheens to the Citroen of coaches, has some strong weaknesses and some strong strengths.

League is more of a game of margins now. You watch the earlier games and you see some huge mistakes that you would never do now, the player would be dropped to reggies.

I am hoping that Sheens keeps a cool enough head to help our team transition from 16th -> 9th (i.e. win half our games at least) and get that consistency,.

For our Clubs short history Sheens has definitely had the best record for getting the best out of players .
Ivan did pretty good in his short time Rochow,Brooks,Thompson even Godinat had a few decent games.
Taylor? Don’t remember anyone he really got firing.
Potter had the team playing some decent footy,the squad was already assembled however.
Madge - from all accounts was about training hard and playing a simple but tough style of footy.Something this team has always been incapableLuciano,Mcyntre,Joff all seemed to benefit from his style.

Darren Senter was at Balmain well before the Wests Tigers and had nothing to do with Lamb

Youre right Chad. It was on point to the script of "The Replacements" in which Gene Hackman played the part of coach who scraped together an unwanted band of misfits who desperately wanted one more chance to prove they had not reached their full potential and still had a super bowl game in them.

Latest posts

Back