Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Lee seems to have his heart in the right place...but also seems to have zero idea about footy.

"about to embark on a very aggressive recruitment drive"....

In July 2023...when hardly a soul is left to sign.

He likely does not even know that.

I sometimes doubt he would know if his rear end was on fire

Dean Hawkins playing 5/8 for Souths this week it's the guy Cody Walker wanted at halfback when Reynolds left

Really poor coaching by Demitriou. Hawkins is an on the ball halfback. Last time he played 6 they tried to play the same as when Cody plays and Hawkins was very poor in that role. He is an out and out 7 who plays tighter, condenses the opposition before providing for his 6 and 1

Okay that's fair.

The Dogs are more successful in actually making positive moves forward than WT. They actually have halves signed for next year and signed another one. We have no one outside of Doueihi who will sit out most of next season.

Every time we've gone up against the Dogs off the field we've lost. JAC, Ciraldo, TPJ. They signed Sexton and kept that quiet while everyone knows we chased Moses, Pearce, Johnson unsuccessfully and are now chasing Fainu.

Off the field they are so far ahead of WT it's not funny.
I think that is a high exaggeration.

Yes Dogs outbid Tigers in certain situations, but losing out on a signature is not necessarily about being out-manoeuvred, it may simply be a matter of price. I personally think, and I said this in the past 2 seasons, that Dogs are repeating the mistakes the Tigers made when Ivan joined 2017 and we signed several mid-tier players on high salaries. Those salaries weighed us down long-term and the incoming coach had different ideas that he couldn't properly execute until those contracts were shed.

History has proven that Dogs signed a turkey with TPJ, though we have no idea how he may have performed at Tigers, the non-speculative data available says signing TPJ was actually a loss to the Dogs (and a predictable loss).

It remains very much to be seen whether Ciraldo can in fact coach first grade and he's signed to a big long-term deal, i.e. they are stuck with him (same as Tigers with Benji, to be fair).

2023 Dogs have now recruited some very significant players - Burton, Mahoney, Kikau, TPJ, JAC... but it's not currently working out for them in any meaningful progression.

The ace up the sleeve for the Dogs is Phil Gould, who is very shrewd and has a lot of clout in the game, both media and off-football ops. However Phil Gould alone isn't a panacea and he does not create rapid success everywhere he is employed.

On the other hand, Dogs appear to have very shallow juniors depth, and the juniors they have blooded, the likes of Averillo, Biondi-Odo, Alamoti, are alarmingly average. In that regard I think Tigers are advantaged with stronger juniors and a dedicated Pathways Team.

Since Dogs last played finals 2017, their average table position is 13th and ours is 12th. Currently obviously we are last and they are slightly ahead of us 15th, one of their 5 wins coming at our expense (i.e. we win that game and we are both on 4 wins all year).

So are the Dogs ahead of us by available measures of on-field success? Yes certainly, they are marginally ahead. They lost by a slightly less horrific margin last weekend, against an arguably far less dangerous side.

Are they "so far ahead of WT"? No I don't think there's much basis to make such a claim. But as I said, I've been arguing against Bulldogs comparisons for about 2 years now. The Dogs are still yet to do anything particularly impressive with all the strategy changes they've made and money they've spent. I think they have a thoroughly unimpressive team.

Lastly, and this is not the argument you are making, but it's part of the overall conversation about the Bulldogs nonetheless - if fans are measuring success by marginal advantages over the worst team in the comp (us) then they are setting a horrendously low bar. I think Bulldogs fans are a million miles off where they want to be, and they are not thinking about the Tigers when judging progress.

Lee is suggesting just now - in a public forum on SEN, that we are about to embark on a very aggressive recruitment drive after the previously aggressive recruitment drive netted us rejection from 3 very experienced halfbacks, also very publicly.

KEEP MY CLUBS NAME OUT YO GOD DAMN MOUTH, LEE!

View attachment 5838
100% mate!!
Those 2 clowns Pascoe & Lee are unbelievable!!
When will they be stopped from absolutely destroying our club completely. I’ve f&@king had enough.
Who can stop them???
Every sports presenter, reporter, player, coach, even fans from other clubs know they’re ruining our club. But they don’t get held accountable for the destruction they have and still do cause.
It’s just too much 😔

Oh crap we are stuffed. He is officially the kiss of death when it comes to player signings.
Don’t fear he now has Scott Fulton as his guiding light.
Just hope they tell the coach who they want to sign before it happens.
If there is any sanity, the coach needs to have the final say on recruitment/retention for the top 30 roster.

Last edited:
Okay that's fair.

The Dogs are more successful in actually making positive moves forward than WT. They actually have halves signed for next year and signed another one. We have no one outside of Doueihi who will sit out most of next season.

Every time we've gone up against the Dogs off the field we've lost. JAC, Ciraldo, TPJ. They signed Sexton and kept that quiet while everyone knows we chased Moses, Pearce, Johnson unsuccessfully and are now chasing Fainu.

Off the field they are so far ahead of WT it's not funny.

Dogs chased Moses as hard as us, they got knocked back early then publicly announced they were no longer interested. They also went hard for Johnson when he left Cronulla and would have had him save for a last minute offer from the Warriors. The one thing they do better then us is keep their negotations out of the media, otherwise I dont think they are ahead of us at all.

Don’t fear he know has Scott Fulton as his guiding light.
Just hope they tell the coach who they want to sign before it happens.
If there is any sanity, the coach needs to have the final say on recruitment/retention for the top 30 roster.

Knowing this place Lee will hand pick the players and get Fulton to sign them, they turn up on the day when no one is training (lets face it if we don’t train hard otherwise we wouldn’t be coming last).

Genuine question I don't rate Flanagan nor do many people on here or at a few other clubs. But he's been killing it in reggies, so the question is, is he any better than Wakeham? ie would people consider Flanagan as a direct swap for Wakeham?
Perhaps then we could go for a Sanders and give him a year to develop further, with Flanagan as a stop gap for a year IF we can't get anyone better who is more experienced.
All this is assuming we have Fainu done and he will be our 6 next year so we can't have two inexperienced halves paired together next season.
Not the worst and he can kick goals and could cover hooker at a pinch.

On SEN today it was suggested by the ‘hat’ that tigers are about to “embark on a very aggressive recruitment drive” hopefully it is with quality players willing to say ‘yes’
It’s a bit late. Any decent recruit is 2025. Should have been embarking in November last year.

He is a rent a quote. Lots of words, no action.

Lee is suggesting just now - in a public forum on SEN, that we are about to embark on a very aggressive recruitment drive after the previously aggressive recruitment drive netted us rejection from 3 very experienced halfbacks, also very publicly.

KEEP MY CLUBS NAME OUT YO GOD DAMN MOUTH, LEE!

View attachment 5838
But how would he know he says every third week he has nothing to do with recruitment

Latest posts

Back