Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

He was also McFadden's assistant coach at the Warriors from 2015-17.
Thanks I was curious what the timeframe was. So us, moved on along with Payton when we began the JT era. Then back to us when we began the Ivan Era and then off following Ivan after a year of Madge.

Does the fact we have not already signed Aidan Sezer mean other options are on the table ?
You would presume Sezer is not flushed with NRL options and probably would have already signed with us if our offer was concrete.

Does the fact we have not already signed Aidan Sezer mean other options are on the table ?
You would presume Sezer is not flushed with NRL options and probably would have already signed with us if our offer was concrete.

I was thinking the same thing. Hawkins isnt a popular choice, but I can tell you he has some genuine upside if he is used correctly, which is as a traditional organising 7. He could easily do what Hastings is doing but with a better kicking game and more speed to take the line on. He just needs the opportunity and experience.

I remember seeing him interviewed when he was the interim tigers coach and the humility he displayed was so refreshing as well as how excited he was to be at the helm.. he seems like a really exceptional person that also possesses a true love of and appreciation for Rugby League
Watch his press conferences and you can see how he engages with the media (even when they try to bait him) and how his players talk about him.
He has been like that at every club.
Panther boys absolutely loved being coached by him during his time there.
The other thing though is that he fully embraces living in Auckland and Kiwi culture something many other coaches have not done before him.

There is a great interview with Andrew just after trial win against the Tigers that gives you some pretty great insights into his coaching and background.
I could be bias but i have known Andrew and James for a very long time and played with James back in the day. Just glad to see him doing well but would have rather him be HC at the Tigers.

Forgetting the fact we finished top 4 the two years prior (making a prelim final and losing by a point) and still won 11 games that year (2012)?

Oh yeah they were really difficult times to be a fan 😂
Remember when we started the 2012 season as premiership favourites? Oh, those were the times. When we had genuine hope of winning the comp.

The playing roster makes the coach.
Some are better at Talent ID than others, so have the knack of creating strong rosters which include a handful of cast offs that were not wanted or not appreciated by other clubs.
But at the end of the day, you don’t have to be a genius to coach a strong roster to be successful and likewise coaches don’t have a magic wand to make sub standard rosters win many games.
There is not a coach on the planet who could get our current playing roster into the top 14.
You would however have a chance if all the coaches were at WT and the others had none!

That is correct - he was assistant coach for Hull KR under Justin Morgan (who is now is assistant at the warriors) and he also created Hull KR pathways program. SG Ball at Balmain (undefeated season), JF Parra Head Coach, then back to the tigers for a few years. Cleary poached him when Barrett left. They used to car pool together everyday to training when at the tigers as they both lived in Penrith hence the relationship grew pretty strong.
Andrew understands his players strengths and then coaches within that rather than find players that fits how he wants to coach. That is what you call flexible coaching - getting the best out of what you have got and provide support in the gaps.
Fantastic coach, even better person.
Thanks for that input Chip.

Watch his press conferences and you can see how he engages with the media (even when they try to bait him) and how his players talk about him.
He has been like that at every club.
Panther boys absolutely loved being coached by him during his time there.
The other thing though is that he fully embraces living in Auckland and Kiwi culture something many other coaches have not done before him.

There is a great interview with Andrew just after trial win against the Tigers that gives you some pretty great insights into his coaching and background.
I could be bias but i have known Andrew and James for a very long time and played with James back in the day. Just glad to see him doing well but would have rather him be HC at the Tigers.

One of Ivan Cleary's strengths is his communication skills and his engagement with the media. I am pleased Andrew Webster demonstrates the same strength. This is an under appreciated skill and one which imo differentiates the average v good coach.

That is correct - he was assistant coach for Hull KR under Justin Morgan (who is now is assistant at the warriors) and he also created Hull KR pathways program. SG Ball at Balmain (undefeated season), JF Parra Head Coach, then back to the tigers for a few years. Cleary poached him when Barrett left. They used to car pool together everyday to training when at the tigers as they both lived in Penrith hence the relationship grew pretty strong.
Andrew understands his players strengths and then coaches within that rather than find players that fits how he wants to coach. That is what you call flexible coaching - getting the best out of what you have got and provide support in the gaps.
Fantastic coach, even better person.
He has said he arrived and simplified the game plan as it was too complex and the players were getting confused and hesitating due to their uncertainty about what to do.
Contrast that to us where we keep the game plan even if our boys aren't skillful enough to pull it off. Stubborness that has got us our second spoon in a row

One of Ivan Cleary's strengths is his communication skills and his engagement with the media. I am pleased Andrew Webster demonstrates the same strength. This is an under appreciated skill and one which imo differentiates the average v good coach.
So where do you and others who believe coaching is our big problem think we would be running if Andrew Webster was our coach this season ?

Latest posts

Back