Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I am trying for the life of me to work this out.

So Ricky Stuart has a very specific and different use of a halfback. I.e. He punted Thurston for Ben Hornby as Australian coach. It's a very tactical use of a halfback and a specific use. Sheens seems to coach "fast footy" if he coaches any style at all.

Were looking at a player from 4 years ago saying their "very Athletic". Sure Sezer is a half and probably has taken fewer knocks then other players. But he is still older then what he was and even as a player did not have the athleticism of other halfbacks.

How do you think Sezer, who played in a highly structured Canberra as a halfback will go in a Sheens style club?

Api is far greater then Hodgson. We should punt on new talent then settle for a second rate half.
Sheens didnt punt Thurston for Hornby, he gave a squad member a run in a meaningless match when the team was already qualified for the final.

Agree i am lead to believe that he had a very good meeting and tour in Newcastle?
Also have we definitely signed Sezar ?
Sullivan isn’t the issue - he actually prefers the move to us over Newcastle.

Flanagan is the issue. Trying to hard ball a little too much to a point it’s scaring off suitors.

The deal isn’t dead though that’s for sure.

I can't believe that people still think the problem is the coach/s - and I'm not singing their praises. The squad lacks the quality to compete against better quality players/teams. Api demonstrates what it takes - he doesn't play tonight we get slaughtered.
He is so far above every other player in our team the bloke deserves a medal for turning up.
We are treading water with this squad regardless of who coaches them.
The coaches can't turn a pigs ear into a silk purse. Any coach.
The backline has been crap all year, and starts at the halves; as we all know.
Until that is fixed we will have the same results ranging from great effort to keep the scores close, to a flogging.

Flanagan is the issue. Trying to hard ball a little too much to a point it’s scaring off suitors.

Dragons do hold the power here. Nofa would look good in the Red V....trade? Haha

Sullivan bought a home in the Illawarra recently, so would think he is keen on a Sydney team and then it is still in travelling distance.

If Benji sees him as a long term half moving forward, you would think we find a way to get the deal done.

Seriously u believe anything that comes out of hotdog head, please! He’s been running his hate agenda for how long now.
Can somebody please deck this piece of shot next time he’s at 7th wonder??
Can’t stand the twerp, how can this pond scum ever call himself a tigers supporter?!?
MISS Management-really! Must be quite a lady! Apart from a complete lack of any evident journalistic skill, the peanut can't spell either!

• Haha
Reactions: 851
How has having tnr fastest halfback who can tackle gone for us in the last ten years? The two traits that people keep going on about yet they aren’t the most important trait you need in a halfback. Organising skills, kicking game,getting the ball out to the backs, not folding when the pressure is on and your needed.
Everyone talks of Brookes speed. Its ok for defence, but I have never seen him beat a man by speed?
He has no step and the defence catches him every time.
Only if there is no one in front of him is his speed useful, which is extremely rare or someone else puts into space with no one to beat.

Free to leave and negotiate but we'll make it difficult for you, sounds practical. I assume the part that he's making difficult is the amount Saints are willing to kick in?

Api was a 10 out of 10 in a beaten side last night.
The effort and class he brings us as our captain keeps me hopeful we can turn things around in the near future once we find a team full of players as committed as he is.
Twal and Papali’i were not too far behind him, both continue to give their best and worry the opposition also.
Big Stef is going ok without being great, but for a young 23y.o prop I’m more than happy with how he’s going.
Similar Pole is very young, but his ability is evident.
Blore and Seyfarth over the past month have proven their talent and value.
James continues to impress with his strong carries, we can’t let him go.
Klemmer has been good for us most of the season, so hard to be critical of him, but I was disappointed he didn’t fire up a lot more last night.
In the backs Staines was very strong on his first game back from a serious injury.
Despite still having a lot to learn Tupou and To’a at least give us attacking threat, they can become very good players with a bit more class around them.
I’m concerned with Nofa’s lack of size and lack of speed moving forward, but you cannot doubt the heart he plays with. No idea how many blame him for Johnston scoring 3 tries, the edge defenders Bateman and Laurie were nowhere to be seen and left their centre and winger constantly trying to defend 2 on 3.
Bula has been a great find, but was very disappointing last night, let’s hope it’s a one off and bounces back next week.
Apart from a couple of defensive lapses I thought Brooks and Laurie were decent, disappointing Laurie didn’t get NRL time in our halves much earlier in the season.
Geez if you're so happy with a squad that's coming last by a mile you should probably become a board member

It's good to read we are aiming for the best of the young up and comers. Getting the young players to mature together with the assistance of our experienced players is a good strategy.

Thanks to all posters who bravely provide rumours on this site. I know it can be unpleasant having to fend off the sceptics but I enjoy the postings. Keep them coming!
Thought we had heaps of young halves already and that was why we were looking for 1 or 2 older halves? Now we seem to be grabbing what we can regardless? Sounds like desperation?

not as slow as wakeham or anything like that but Hastings slow.
Sullivan will create that x factor type of player when he gets to 7 with Fainu and Api and bula
But it's ok to be Hastings slow when you actually have an excellent kicking game and good passing game and organising skills.

Last edited:

Pretty shitty management to say you're free to leave immediately, but when clubs make offers you stall... But to be fair they would want to chip in as little as possible. Tartak needs to work them over a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: 851
Can’t wait for Newcastle to make the 8 and everyone on here who still thinks Hastings is no good can continue to say he’s no good lol

Basically got them on edge of the 8 without Kalyn Ponga most of the season.

Blah blah but he’s slow and he doesn’t do anything blah blah

Yes bc most of you don’t know what on organizing half is … he kicks and directs traffic … someone we haven’t had since robert Lui before sheens kicked hastings out ….

Blah blah he didn’t kick him out … he only told him to play lock bc he’s slow blah blah

I’m so glad I sent Pascoe and Lee emails and texts when they were thinking of releasing him pleading for them not to…. And they said

“We will not apologize for our recruitment decisions “

Lol.

Start the BS excuses about why hastings is no good and brooks is better and hastings left on his own accord …

Spare me

We have the wooden spoon

And before people say he got it last year … we lost our coach halfway through the year… hastings didn’t play a lot bc injured and also didn’t play halfback bc sheens wanted noddy to play him at lock….

We would be top 8 with him and API…

Everyone who disagrees has no idea

Not having a shot at you, but there is a big difference in skillset between Reynolds and Brookes.
Reynolds can organise, pass, think under pressure, and kick goals.
Brookes assets are he's fast and occasionally he sets up a play.
Fast but had to be asked for ten years to run

Don’t agree, most teams are doing short drop outs. Ours are poorly directed, but we had about 10 of them and I think they scored of one maybe two. We never hold out a team even if we drop out long, I believe it’s worth a go.
I thought the team showed up tonight just a few rough calls from stardust with easy piggybacking penalties helped the scoffs cause out of trouble all nite. Api was fantastic but we just lack direction in the halves. We get up their end heaps, but regularly fail to convert. That’s our problem.
Brooks made us better last nite but he’s no architect!
In all honesty we were gone in the first half, we can't keep giving big leads away. Good to see them come back in the second half but until we become more disciplined the story might stay the same. We know the ref's don't need much to blow penalties against us we just need to be a bit smarter and not give away cheap penalties, leading to easy yardage.

Back