Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Going back till January I have heard
If it is true you could imagine that it is pre agreed terms the club have with him that allows him to return to England over the off seasons to spend Christmas' with his daughter. You may have heard he returns in January, but have you heard when he leaves? what if he is leaving at the start of December when pretty much all teams go on break again anyway?

Cmon man …he was never a speedster at JAC levels
JAC is the fastest, his speed has been insane.
But hey, look what our forum archives reveal:

**DAVID NOFOALUMA**

**The Wests Tigers winger has clocked the second-fastest time in the NRL this year. And why?**

(note all of the above is OLD... Nofo isn't a speedster anymore. But he was once).
and Matt Shirvington knows running.

I have been calling for Laurie to move into 5/8th since last season. Watched him in juniors and he can become a NRL player for sure.

I think he also shows how bad our previous/current halves have been. Our forwards have been getting us in position and Api has had quick play the balls & space but no one around him who has had any smarts to take advantage of it. Seeing what Laurie has done fills me somewhat with confidence on the attacking halves we have signed for next season.

Wish we had kept Laurie (not popular opinion here but some) but in saying that he isn’t at the Luai level & has a heck of alot if work ahead of him to become at the same level. Time can give him that but can see Panthers offering Luai more than Laurie for 25 hands down to keep him due to the Cleary connect alone.
100% it highlights how poor our halves have been, and for a very long time too

Maybe, maybe not. The point is he has spent so much time in Reggie's this year because of his shit attitude period. That's entirely on him and nobody else !
Oh please he was individually outstanding. I dont pretend to know anything about his attitude and bemuses me that others seem to - and forgive me if you are privy to some inner knowledge.
I would expect that every coach would aim to
field your best team and given our position on the table and the lack of opportunity he has been given when others have performed poorly and were selected more than once ahead of him, there was no evidence of shit attitude in his performance when finally given an opportunity - the exact opposite.

Yep. He did everything last night in a team running last against a top 3 side that a quality 5/8th should do and tackles his ring off. Anyone who thinks that he can't produce the same or better at Penrith are kidding themselves.
Penrith will play him at 14 and he'll do well. He did some things last night that I've seen Penrith players do.

Wouldn’t have an issue with it as long as we have a replacement lined up.
Seems odd considering he returned because his partner is Australian. He came and left once before so he knew what to expect. Don't know if this is right or wrong but it does seem odd.

I'd like to see him (Bateman) after a full off season and with a couple of halves he's built a relationship with.
He's been off the pace this year and I put it down to the disrupted start.
He's got an X factor that I'd like us to keep.

Plenty of mongrel too, he's always amongst it,
love the guy, glad 2 have him at our club 👌🏼

Oh please he was individually outstanding. I dont pretend to know anything about his attitude and bemuses me that others seem to - and forgive me if you are privy to some inner knowledge.
I would expect that every coach would aim to
field your best team and given our position on the table and the lack of opportunity he has been given when others have performed poorly and were selected more than once ahead of him, there was no evidence of shit attitude in his performance when finally given an opportunity - the exact opposite.
Go back and watch the games he played at 5/8th in KOE cup and tell me he played the house down demanding selection in first grade ....... A few good games in first grade doesn't re write history. The sad thing is he would have got more opportunities if his attitude wasn't so shit !

Go back and watch the games he played at 5/8th in KOE cup and tell me he played the house down demanding selection in first grade ....... A few good games in first grade doesn't re write history. The sad thing is he would have got more opportunities if his attitude wasn't so shit!
I've seen him play terrible games in reserve grade but also know on the back of seasons prior he is in our best 17. Also have seen players in FG play terribly multiple times and hold their positions when Laurie was dropped on the back of a poor game and never given another opportunity until recently when all other options were exhausted. We are a club that has to get the best out of our players because we can't attract or replace them like other clubs can. That is poor management by the current coaching team.

I was one to call for Laurie at six in the opening rounds, but I was also soon content to leave Wakeham there for his goal kicking as he was serviceable when partnered with Brooks, and wish good luck to Dane in his future.

Though let us not pretend that most on here were not highly critical of him for plenty of different reasons and wanted him demoted or moved on completely, including pre-season and again midyear.

After low balling Brooks and only a few top 30 spots left, it was basically either Fainu in the six or Laurie, and the former was chosen. We await the results of that decision.

I've seen him play terrible games in reserve grade but also know on the back of seasons prior he is in our best 17. Also have seen players in FG play terribly multiple times and hold their positions when Laurie was dropped on the back of a poor game and never given another opportunity until recently when all other options were exhausted. We are a club that has to get the best out of our players because we can't attract or replace them like other clubs can. That is poor management by the current coaching team.
Right so he got dropped for a poor game and then continue to play poor in reserve grade but was hard done by not being picked in first grade even though he was playing shit. Give me a break ......

I know we are getting some halfback replacements next year and can only hope one of them turns out to be a playmaker for 80 mins with the balls to lead this team around the park and find points once in the red zone after our pack has done the hard yards ....I hope Brooks has a successful career at Manly because he has had a very good salary for years and never got us in the 8...and please dont give me any excuses such as poor coaching,poor pack etc...we need a playmaker with football smarts in this modern game,NOT a club favourite who doesnt see ressies or the bench in a 10 year tenure...Our youth will develop and I can see hope for us next year if Sheens and Bunji can finally sort out a top squad with good depth and start becoming professional with team selections and forget about the boys club mentality of the past...
I honestly think we have the core of a very good side,this year is a learning curve,next year its put up or shut up,we have been beaten in about half a dozen games this year by one try and have played well while being on the receiving side of some very ordinary ref calls....

HOPE FAITH and LOVE......the greatest of the 3 is LOVE.... God bless all....

Reactions: 851
If we confirm Sezer & Sullivan plus resign Staines. That's 30 of 30 spots taken.

We must release at least 3 players if not 4. Gotta be Simpkin, Ngatikaura, Mansfield & Nofoaluma.

Surely Simpkin & Ngatikaura get snapped up, there is a hooker shortage in the NRL & ESL.

Justin Olam should be a target & tall, athletic winger*.

2 x backs is all we need. Galvin fills the 4th half spot plus apparently Hawkins (Souths NSW Cup) has signed a train & trial with us.

Squad will be complete IMO.

1. Bula
2. Staines
3. Olam/To'a
4. Tupou (gets the other centre spot for me)
5. * (as above)/Naden
6. Sullivan
7. Sezer
8. Utoiukamanu
9. Korosaui
10. Klemmer
11. Papalii
12. Blore
13. Bateman
14. L. Fainu/Matamua
15. Twal
16. Pole
17. S. Fainu
18. Galvin/Kepaoa/Doueihi (when fit)
People still wanting to put Bateman at 13 .....

Panthers mite tho!
Don't really know his ceiling playing at 6,and it's regrettable he didn't perform in that position until quite recently after we were committed elsewhere
He will be going back to play Reggie’s and to fill in during origin. He is a decent player but he is not the bloke to turn our club around.

Staff online

Back