Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I think a few on here gave us a bum steer on Reilly.
He is worth the effort over this off season to develop.
I don’t know what is happening in KOE Cup, but the same things were said of Bula before he debuted.
They didn't, he was genuinely lost when he first came over.

He has improved, particularly defensively, out of sight. It's a credit to him.

For me I think last year showed that ice and Bateman do not work as the starting second row pairing.

Our halves and the chopping and changing did
them a massive disservice by not playing to
their strengths & bringing them into the game
Tbh. Think we'll see a whole different style of
play come next season, right across the park.
Still a few missing pieces but overall I'm a half
glass full kinda guy. New jerseys too finally!

Our halves and the chopping and changing did
them a massive disservice by not playing to
their strengths & bringing them into the game
Tbh. Think we'll see a whole different style of
play come next season, right across the park.
Still a few missing pieces but overall I'm a half
glass full kinda guy. New jerseys too finally!
Are we due for a redesign are we?

Its a very real issue that we dont seem to be able to identify the traits of players that will take them to the next level at NRL.Theres a giant slippage rate between juniors and NRL,and we havent got it worked out in recent years
On top of that,Sheens statements that we have the best juniors in yonks is a total falsehood when you see our actual results at that level,so most are no chance to be NRL standouts
I don't think that the results in the junior grades this year are a good indicator of the quality of individuals. The injuries and instability in first grade has huge flow on effects down the grades. If they are in and out every week they can't build combinations which particularly shows up in defence, particularly in the KOE where defence is always secondary anyway. We also have multiple teams in some of the lower grades so the talent may be spread among the Balmain and Wests sides. There are a lot of kids in a lot of teams. If Sheens says there are stars among them I'm inclined to believe him. I do however agree that we need to be a lot better at figuring out which ones will make it and which won't. I feel John Morris coming in will help a lot with this, he had a lot to do with it at the Sharks by all accounts.

For me I think last year showed that ice and Bateman do not work as the starting second row pairing.
I get ya to a degree.

I was a bit of a critic of Bateman,but watching him live at the dolphins game the other week
changed my mind.We had no threats either side of him. Nofa comes in way too close pushing the
centre in.

If we want more from those two you need threats inside and outside of them. (Halves,centres and wings)

Still don't think we're as far away as many think.Hopefully the new recuits and John Morris help.Some new
backs and a ball playing lock to add to the list.Bateman could even shift to lock.

No world cup this year for Ice and bateman too.Just the offseason with us.

It’s players like Seyfarth who will be 14-17 at almost any NRL club and is only on a slightly better than minimum wage that helps a club build a strong roster around him.
Also being a local junior that creates the heart and soul of a club, we would be crazy to let him go.
I would say Seyfarth would be 18-23 at most clubs, the weaker ones might have him 17-23.

If he's in your top 17 in round one you have a weak squad.

Think kit is the man
It's great to have some internal jostling for positions. Matamua v Laulilii for the starting lock position long-term.

I hope Matamua can put in a huge off-season & pre-season to primarily build up his tank but also to keep increasing his strength.

Honestly if he does this, he can have a 'break out' year. If he learns to use his size in both attack & defence coupled with his link & ball-playing skills, he can be a real weapon!

One thing I noticed against Manly when he was on, was the speed & length of his passes (can't remember if it was both directions though).

It's great to have some internal jostling for positions. Matamua v Laulilii for the starting lock position long-term.

I hope Matamua can put in a huge off-season & pre-season to primarily build up his tank but also to keep increasing his strength.

Honestly if he does this, he can have a 'break out' year. If he learns to use his size in both attack & defence coupled with his link & ball-playing skills, he can be a real weapon!

One thing I noticed against Manly when he was on, was the speed & length of his passes (can't remember if it was both directions though).
Matamua needs to develop some mongrel, which can't be coached and is typically in you from a young age. he's very skilful but his lack of mongrel will hurt him long term. Kit on the other hand has mongrel in droves, plus has the skill. I know who my money is on to become our long term 13 out of the two of them.

Siotame Havea and Denzel Schaafhausen-Mino are also going to cause some selection headaches down the line.

Back