Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Fair enough, whatever you think, but my statement was about my preference being to have had Chad Townsend in 2022 and 2023 playing in our halves over the halves combinations that we rolled out that had no clue about how to produce a result once we were in the oppositions red zone.

Never said anything about making the 8, just that I think we would have got better than 4 wins with Townsend in the halves.

It was a response to a derogatory comment made referencing Chad Townsend inferring that he was at best a pretty ordinary half, and my point being that as ordinary as he may be he still would have been better than what we had.

This had nothing what so ever to do with whether Chad Townsend or Benji Marshall was the better player in their prime, and just for the record, Benji wins that hands down but that was Benji at his best a long time ago.
Hi Mate
Just for the record it was not me who made a Derogatory comment about Chad Townsend, Any player that’s played 50 games of NRL let alone 242 is obviously a very good football player.

I thought you must have found one, given the statements you made that I replied to.
Fair enough
So you don’t agree with
The Tigers won the comp in 2005 because the Team jelled.
But state they most likely don’t make the 8 without Benji & Prince.
And it was me who found a crystal ball ?

• Haha
Reactions: 851
That's cos you blokes are looking at it wrong....
regardless of what we need in the OB's,
Blore is heads and shoulders above the likes of
Seyfarth
Fainu
Matamua
Kepaoa
Tumeth

And probably has a higher ceiling than Twal, And maybe a host of the kids coming into the top 30.
Moving him on (For any reason) is a bad move... Yeah - He's been injured, But I doubt that lasts forever...
Blore’s injuries have definitely hampered his development. In saying that, he has always been an excellent defender but I think it was his timing with ball in hand (hole running etc) that seemed to be a little off. Once he had a sustained run in the field, I thought he started to look threatening and made a number of line breaks.

He is a keeper for mine. It often takes players the best part of a season to find confidence after a major injury like an ACL. Personally, I think we will really regret it if we lose him.

A 2005 Grand Final reunion is said to be in the works at the Wests Tigers, with the club reportedly signing a new assistant coach and head coach for the NSW Cup team. The arrival of a new assistant comes after former coach Wayne Lambkin departed the club in September this year.

To replace him, the Wests Tigers have reportedly signed Aaron Payne to take on the role of head coach for the Western Suburbs Magpies, and he will also work under Benji Marshall as an assistant coach at the club, as per the DT.

Payne's arrival at the Tigers will see him join fellow 2005 Grand Finalists Benji Marshall (head coach), Robbie Farah (assistant coach) and Chris Heighington (assistant coach). John Morris will also join the coaching staff for next season from the Rabbitohs and will work as an assistant coach. (DT)

Fair enough
So you don’t agree with
The Tigers won the comp in 2005 because the Team jelled.
But state they most likely don’t make the 8 without Benji & Prince.
And it was me who found a crystal ball ?
most likely = opinion, not crystal ball.

I largely agree.

Cleary gets a lot of space from the Penrith forward pack. 2023, we may have made the 8. 2022 if we had Cleary here instead of Brooks/Hastings we would struggle past 14. Likewise Reynolds who doesn't do as much in defense.

DCE is used to running tries through and pushing a team. He is more like Andrew Johns in this respect. to your point:

It's 13 players on the field with 17 in total.

2005 we won because as you say the team Gelled. Benji/Prince could get the ball out where it needed to be. Benji would go it himself often and with devistating results due to touch footy magic.

Yet;
Pat Richards knew where to be to catch that pass. (and turned into something else even better on his return)
Brett Hodgson could keep the ball alive at the back and fill gaps.
Forward pack held their own against a Giant Cowboys squad.

Individuals can win a game, teams win finals.
I agree but at the same time out of all the halves in the competition that would have the most chance of making us more successful, it would be DCE.

Why either or on Blore Olam
Why not have both?
They don’t want him it seems
I agree Blore has upside and is a quality man with true leadership qualities
We have 30 players signed I believe. So that would mean someone would have to make way for Olam.

I like Blore. But in a team that will need to fit Fa'agutu & Lualili'i into the lock role, along with Pole in the rotation, Twal & Seyfarth- there are only so many jerseys to hand out.

Olam becomes our best centre immediately. And there are no Fa'gutu's or Laulili'i's coming through this season in the centres.

Back