Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

If you don't tell me how it is speculative then we won't reach a consensus.

Nonetheless, i think I've cracked it.

My initial comment ended with "especially as it appears there is no competition for his signature".
I maintain that it does "appear" that way because there is no reports of any other clubs showing any interest.

However as you said not every approach is reported upon.

So, it would nearly be as speculative to say other clubs aren't interested as it is to say that they are.

The answer to your first line has been provided already in my replies….

I was thinking about 250-300K. Average winger money with a little extra on top because he offers fullback coverage.
If someone said the a pot boiled at 100 degrees I swear you would give the Fahrenheit number , as if somehow different .

If someone said the a pot boiled at 100 degrees I swear you would give the Fahrenheit number , as if somehow different .
I like Adelaide Tiger so this isnt a dig at him when i say this. But he gave a random value with no explanation to how he got to that number. Granted he doesnt owe one, but it would be nice as a discussion point or to further understand his opionion.
I thought it seemed a little high. Not exorbitant but a little high.
So I provided my alternative with a very brief justification.
You are more than welcome to disagree. I would to like to know why but. I do at times enjoy arguing when I disagree on a topic. And it's not even to be an ass, it is typically so i simply can better understand others opinions.
But no I wouldn't argue about the boiling point of water. Or if I were to I wouldn't say Fahrenheit I'd ask what pressure the water is at because I'd like all the information.

Or if you are suggesting there is little difference between my figure and ATs that is fine. He can take it as a sign that I approximately agree with his number and no need to discuss further.

Yeah I can’t agree with the bolded part of your post. How is he a far better player? Defensively not much has really changed. Nofo did nothing for Melbourne and I’m pretty sure they weren’t really impressed with him either.
I was watching Nofa. Look he is getting slower ofcourse and no longer has his speed or step.
But his defense has improved as well as his positioning. Tupou was our weakest link in the backline this season, but hey it's his first season.

Melbourne did Nofa good.

Look I would love it if Melbourne would agree to that. Hey we can loan Latu out there too and Borrow Jerome Hugues for awhile....

AINT HAPPENING.

Also us sniping a Junior center or wing off Melbourne instead of Olam is rather Doubtful.
All the talk is about Olam & Blore
but thanks for confirming it Ain’t Happening.

Does the Train & Trial contracts have a maximum $ requirement ?
Surely it’s min wage

I like Adelaide Tiger so this isnt a dig at him when i say this. But he gave a random value with no explanation to how he got to that number. Granted he doesnt owe one, but it would be nice as a discussion point or to further understand his opionion.
I thought it seemed a little high. Not exorbitant but a little high.
So I provided my alternative with a very brief justification.
You are more than welcome to disagree. I would to like to know why but. I do at times enjoy arguing when I disagree on a topic. And it's not even to be an ass, it is typically so i simply can better understand others opinions.
But no I wouldn't argue about the boiling point of water. Or if I were to I wouldn't say Fahrenheit I'd ask what pressure the water is at because I'd like all the information.
No offense meant, no offense taken. My logic was similar, he's an average NRL winger who can cover fullback (which i think he can do quite well with a bit more experience). It would be perfect if he signed for 250k, but that's half what he got last year and I feel that if we offered him that he'd be within his rights to look around and I think someone would pay around that mark. But agree these are all arbitrary numbers and we are always oblivious to the true 'value' of a contract once all endorsements and bonuses are said and done.

No offense meant, no offense taken. My logic was similar, he's an average NRL winger who can cover fullback (which i think he can do quite well with a bit more experience). It would be perfect if he signed for 250k, but that's half what he got last year and I feel that if we offered him that he'd be within his rights to look around and I think someone would pay around that mark. But agree these are all arbitrary numbers and we are always oblivious to the true 'value' of a contract once all endorsements and bonuses are said and done.
Yea, ah. We did not sign Staines for 250k.
Seriously Staines would call up Ivan Cleary and go back to Penrith on Minimum contract.

Not saying I rate Staines, I am saying that I am fairly sure Staines could find a 400k contract on the market.

We have a good backline problem for Benji. The only spot that is sorted is Bula:
Staines
Tupou
Nofo
Naden
Toa

Plus we may be signing Olam. We have already signed Reilly and Feledy so its pretty crowded.
Other then Olam, none of the players above can really play second row and cover center from the Bench. Also you look at them and realise how inexperienced the entire backline is.

Yea, ah. We did not sign Staines for 250k.
Seriously Staines would call up Ivan Cleary and go back to Penrith on Minimum contract.

Not saying I rate Staines, I am saying that I am fairly sure Staines could find a 400k contract on the market.
I can easily see high paid halves knocking back 1-200k to stay at a strong club because they should be set for life at 800k a season.
i don't think there would be many minimum wage players lingering in reserve grade that would knock back an extra 100k and a first grade spot. Yet you are essentially saying you think Staines would do this? The lifestyle difference between 150 and 250k is notable.
Where do you think he is getting 400k? That would put him in the top 10 winger salaries (as of 2022 according to the herald).
Agree with all this. And whilst I think 250k is where other clubs get interested, I don't see any other clubs where he is likely a best 13 player. So I think our offer would need to be bettered rather than matched for him to seriously consider going elsewhere. Only other serious threats if they were to match imo would be Dragons and Raiders who might both sell on potential to earn the fullback position.

Does the Train & Trial contracts have a maximum $ requirement ?
Surely it’s min wage
My questions are; help me KR.
1. Are there limits to how many players can be on T/T?
2. How long do T/T last? All year or to the next year? When someone's NRL top 30 contract expires?
3. Can you have, (theoretically) most of your KOE on T/T contracts? Waiting for a top 30 spot to eventuate?
4. Can you pay way overs $$$$ on a T/T to keep them interested?

Olam will be great. We need him. Much better than any of our backs.

Blore is lame. I don’t get the hype. It looks like a tall version of Bruno Mars and is remembered for hitting Nathan Brown hard. That’s it.
Lame? Let’s see you play NRL. You wouldn’t last two seconds or run it straight at him pls. Your attempt is what would be lame 🤣

My questions are; help me KR.
1. Are there limits to how many players can be on T/T?
2. How long do T/T last? All year or to the next year? When someone's NRL top 30 contract expires?
3. Can you have, (theoretically) most of your KOE on T/T contracts? Waiting for a top 30 spot to eventuate?
4. Can you pay way overs $$$$ on a T/T to keep them interested?
Edit thanks to Snidest (thanks mate).
1. No
2. Some players get preseason contracts looking to earn a development or nrl contract. Others get season long contracts. They can be upgraded at any time.
3. It appears so, but why would you?
4. $1200/week plus $3000 match payment if they make first grade. Cannot (in accordance to the salary cap) pay more.

There was a telegraph article about it somewhat recently someone might be able to find and share (google something like train and trial payment). Behind a pay wall and I'm not subscribed so can't help sorry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back