Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

”if it is overs then that is bad business” … that is speculation…like I said the only thing to go off so far is Peters comments … who seems to have a bias against whatever the Tigers do..

Not all approaches from other clubs are reported in the media…if no one leaks it ( player agents or clubs involved) then how does the media find out about it to report it?…
You realise that sentence starts with "If"?, acknowledging there is doubt that it has happened.
I have acknowledged both to you and KR that we don't actually know what Peter's considers overs to assess if the signing, should it even be true, is in fact bad business. Just that overs, generally speaking, would be.
Or alternatively, do you think paying overs for an average winger who is proven not to be able to change the fortunes of our club is not at all 'bad business'?
Yes. Not all approaches made are reported to/in the media. But without the media report there is no evidence of them occurring.
Maybe Lestronge is right and Dogs, Dolphins and Eels wanted to sign him (that by Lestronge would be an example of speculation by the way). Maybe even the 12 other clubs tried to sign him. There remains no evidence of it. Hence my original statement of "there is no evidence of other clubs wanting him".

You realise that sentence starts with "If"?, acknowledging there is doubt that it has happened.
I have acknowledged both to you and KR that we don't actually know what Peter's considers overs to assess if the signing, should it even be true, is in fact bad business. Just that overs, generally speaking, would be.
Or alternatively, do you think paying overs for an average winger who is proven not to be able to change the fortunes of our club is not at all 'bad business'?
Yes. Not all approaches made are reported to/in the media. But without the media report there is no evidence of them occurring.
Maybe Lestronge is right and Dogs, Dolphins and Eels wanted to sign him (that by Lestronge would be an example of speculation by the way). Maybe even the 12 other clubs tried to sign him. There remains no evidence of it. Hence my original statement of "there is no evidence of other clubs wanting him".

I just googled the definition of speculation…

“The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence ..”

is this not what you are doing ?

You using the term “if“ confirms this right?

Last edited:
Not that I won’t Olam but if we have to why wouldn’t we try and organise a loan system like they did with Harry Grant
We loan them Blore
They loan us Olam
for 2024.
They still pay Olam & we pay Blore.
If Olam is not the player he was we are not stuck with him for more than the year.
Look I would love it if Melbourne would agree to that. Hey we can loan Latu out there too and Borrow Jerome Hugues for awhile....

AINT HAPPENING.

Also us sniping a Junior center or wing off Melbourne instead of Olam is rather Doubtful.

It was pretty well reported that he was signed on ~350k-400k. Which for a starting halfback is very cheap.

Not a chance in hell it was for 200 or less
I was just commenting on the Peter Peters statement that he was offered to clubs at $150 and the tigers paid $200 without any competitors 🤷. Just noting the contract length can affect $$$ per year

I just googled the definition of speculation…

“The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence ..”

is this not what you are doing ?

You using the term “if“ confirms this right?
No. Well actually not really would be more accurate.

There is evidence that overpaying Staines is bad business. Simply the phrase overpaying suggests it is bad business. Otherwise the statement would just be "signing Staines is bad business", which I have not claimed.

Then there is actually evidence of why it would be bad business. He didn't make any difference to our team, or even play particularly well last year. He has failed to standout as an NRL winger in his career to date.
Additionally, as a winger he is unlikely to change the fortunes of our team, compared to say if we did pay overs for Luai or when Knights paid overs for Ponga. There is 25 years of NRL and 100+ years of rugby league to support this.

The argument for what I'm saying being speculative would be
is this evidence firm? Obviously I believe so. It doesn't mean that he can't improve his performance moving forward but the odds are against him.
And, what is overs. I've somewhat addressed this already. Just because Peters believes it's overs doesn't mean it is, or that others would agree. I haven't actually assigned a value but have said that I've taken it in its simplest form. That is to mean that it is a value that would be widely be accepted as above his market value.

Edit: as my previous posts. The claim of these 3 clubs wanted to sign Staines had no evidence, firm or otherwise. Thus it was speculation.

No. Well actually not really would be more accurate.

There is evidence that overpaying Staines is bad business. Simply the phrase overpaying suggests it is bad business. Otherwise the statement would just be "signing Staines is bad business", which I have not claimed.

Then there is actually evidence of why it would be bad business. He didn't make any difference to our team, or even play particularly well last year. He has failed to standout as an NRL winger in his career to date.
Additionally, as a winger he is unlikely to change the fortunes of our team, compared to say if we did pay overs for Luai or when Knights paid overs for Ponga. There is 25 years of NRL and 100+ years of rugby league to support this.

The argument for what I'm saying being speculative would be
is this evidence firm? Obviously I believe so. It doesn't mean that he can't improve his performance moving forward but the odds are against him.
And, what is overs. I've somewhat addressed this already. Just because Peters believes it's overs doesn't mean it is, or that others would agree. I haven't actually assigned a value but have said that I've taken it in its simplest form. That is to mean that it is a value that would be widely be accepted as above his market value.

Edit: as my previous posts. The claim of these 3 clubs wanted to sign Staines had no evidence, firm or otherwise. Thus it was speculation.

I disagree… but I’m not going to argue any further ,,,it would just be recycling whaI I have already said which i believe is clear …

Reactions: 851
Olam, Luai & Fonua-Blake have been linked to us on media street. There is 3.
My God, if those three came we would be a real chance for the Top 8. Might have a sneaky look at Sportsbet odds before anything is announced. Then again we might get 0-3. Aah - worth a punt.

Go back and read my comments again….
The only conclusion i can draw is that you think I'm trying to confirm Peters' mail of we've signed Staines on overs. I'm not. I'm reacting to it and repeatedly acknowledged doubt around it.

Also apologies to all for somewhat derailing the thread. My WiFi is currently down and wife is away for work so this and old DVDs is all I've got for entertainment today.

Last edited:
The only conclusion i can draw is that you think I'm trying to confirm Peters' mail of we've signed Staines on overs. I'm not. I'm reacting to it and repeatedly acknowledged doubt around it.

If you don’t think your comments that I initially quoted do not fit the definition I provided of speculation …. Then I dont believe we are going to reach a consensus…

If you don’t think your comments that I initially quoted do not fit the definition I provided of speculation …. Then I dont believe we are going to reach a consensus…
If you don't tell me how it is speculative then we won't reach a consensus.

Nonetheless, i think I've cracked it.

My initial comment ended with "especially as it appears there is no competition for his signature".
I maintain that it does "appear" that way because there is no reports of any other clubs showing any interest.

However as you said not every approach is reported upon.

So, it would nearly be as speculative to say other clubs aren't interested as it is to say that they are.

Back